[comp.sys.amiga] Using the PATH: device

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (12/06/88)

In article <1099@tragicomix.liu.se> mikhe@tragicomix.liu.se (Mike Henry) writes:

>    This doesn't sound good, but maybe you can cure the symptoms by
>    using the PATH: device and assign your C: to maybe PATH:c where
>    the file c contains the paths to all directories you *allways*
>    need to access...

I have been having problems with PATH:. Our site didn't receive the docs...
and I'm unable to actually create files in it. If I copy a file to
path:file, or just to path:, or use some other method (redirection, saveas
from DME, etc) I always get "error", "can't find ... " or some other
message that indicates it couldn't open the file. What exactly do I need
to do?

John
--
"The sinuous roots meshed together... the sun-dappled leaves... the arching
 branches... and put it all together? Nothing! Icky, icky tree!"

ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (12/09/88)

One warning about PATH:  the ARP Assign command won't assign C: to
a file.  "Assign C: PATH:C"  gives you a "PATH:C Not a directory"
error.  The 1.2 and 1.3 CBM Assign's work fine.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) (12/10/88)

From article <401@solaria.csun.edu>, by ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton):

> One warning about PATH:  the ARP Assign command won't assign C: to
> a file.  "Assign C: PATH:C"  gives you a "PATH:C Not a directory"
> error.  The 1.2 and 1.3 CBM Assign's work fine.
> --
> Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
> RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu
> swalton@solar.stanford.edu    ...!csun!afws.csun.edu!bcphssrw

I've been using the ARP assign to PATH: in my startup sequence for several
weeks now. Which release of ARP are you using? I am using the latest that
I know of: ARP Rel 2 (aka v1.(1?)). I am sure that I am not accidentally
using the amigados assign, because I am doing the about following:
"Assign c: path:c rexx: path:rexx", which only ARP will do. This is kind
of a silly question, but are you sure you are doing the copy to PATH:
BEFORE you do the assign?

	Scott Henry
--
              Scott Henry <scotth@harlie.sgi.com> {or, also on the Internet:}
                          <skywalker@cup.portal.com>

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (12/11/88)

In article <5023@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
)
)I have been having problems with PATH:. Our site didn't receive the docs...
)and I'm unable to actually create files in it. If I copy a file to
)path:file, or just to path:, or use some other method (redirection, saveas
)from DME, etc) I always get "error", "can't find ... " or some other
)message that indicates it couldn't open the file. What exactly do I need
)to do?

Sorry not to respond sooner, but I kept forgetting to check this when I was
home, and I usually read the news at work.  (Work?  You call this work???)

I had a similar problem when I installed PATH:.  What I had done was to put
the path-handler file in L:.  Silly me.  The mountlist has it as being in
DEVS:.

Now me, I changed the mountlist entry.  Handlers belong in L:.  Devices (and
other things I cannot find a collective noun for) belong in DEVS:.

Let's everybody try to remember this.

(And since I'm making such a big ass out of myself,  what is the difference
between a device and a handler anyway?)

--
-  It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
-  coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -