[comp.sys.amiga] Need info on Wedge.

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (12/12/88)

     I have a 500 and was interested in the Wedge along with a standard
PC hard drive.  Normally I would go with a SCSI device, but I know
someone that will sell me a standard drive cheap.  I guess you plug the
PC interface card into the Wedge.  Does it matter if the card is for a
PC or an AT?  Can most PC interface cards take two hard disks?  Does
anyone have such a setup?  How fast is it with the new FFS?  How reliable
is it?  Does the Wedge 500 come in a case?  Any info would be greatly
appretiated.

					Thanks,
					   --Rob.

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(508) 452-5000 ex 2233

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (12/13/88)

In <10664@swan.ulowell.edu>, rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:
>      I have a 500 and was interested in the Wedge along with a standard
> PC hard drive.  Normally I would go with a SCSI device, but I know
> someone that will sell me a standard drive cheap.  I guess you plug the
> PC interface card into the Wedge.  Does it matter if the card is for a
> PC or an AT?  Can most PC interface cards take two hard disks?  Does
> anyone have such a setup?  How fast is it with the new FFS?  How reliable
> is it?  Does the Wedge 500 come in a case?  Any info would be greatly
> appretiated.

	The controller card does plug into the Wedge, and the Wedge plugs into
the 500. It used to be sold with the understanding that you could use
pretty well any XT style controller, but they are now saying to use only
the DTC 5150 or 5160. This is because it has transparent bad-block
handling that is set up at the time of low level format. The DTC 5150 will
take two drives. Last I saw, it was about 120-140K/sec under FFS, but it
may have improved since then. (32K diskperfA results). The A500 version
comes with a case. It lays down flat, less than an inch high.

	Dave or Peter at RSI would be a good source of up-to-date information.
They can be reached at (604) 270-0064.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-