[comp.sys.amiga] The ouch in advertising

ereidell@athena.mit.edu (Evan A. Reidell) (12/01/88)

The two advertisements in the New York Times last week said it all: the
Atari being compared with the Mac SE, and the Amiga being pushed with a
"free VCR".  And in the followup Letters to the NeXT cover story in
Newsweek, the Atari ST got a free plug from some happy user...  and ads
on MTV aimed at the wrong audiences in the wrong way...

We can do something, can't we?  Continue making up "dream ads" for our
favorite machine and sending them in to Commodore?  We're one of the
most creative sets of people around today!  And we're smart or else we
wouldn't be reading this newsgroup using this machine...  as Cher said
(am I really quoting Cher?) "If you have a good thing, and you keep it
to yourself, what kind of a person are you?"  can be applied to both the
Amiga itself and any good marketing ideas we might have for it.

Just some inspirational ideas/food for thought

Evan A. Reidell  (ereidell@athena.mit.edu)

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (12/02/88)

In article <8243@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, ereidell@athena.mit.edu (Evan A. Reidell) writes:

> We can do something, can't we?  Continue making up "dream ads" for our
> favorite machine and sending them in to Commodore?  We're one of the
> most creative sets of people around today!  And we're smart or else we
> wouldn't be reading this newsgroup using this machine...  as Cher said

Just thinking back on the killer demo contest, I don't believe that
I saw anything at all produced using the Zuma TV Show or the Aegis
(presentation-video) thing.  Are these two packages not as good as
The Director (I have Director, but have not taken any time to learn
it thusfar, and I don't have either of the other two).  Do these
other programs NOT come with a freely redistributable player, or
are they just too hard to learn, or what?  I am curious -- fellow.

Rob Peck

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (12/02/88)

The Work hard/Play Hard ad is pretty good.

And they ARE running the ads on VH1 (AKA MTV for adults).

----

An effective ad would be something like:

	[ page from Apple's ad where they crow about beating IBM in
	  the multitasking race ]

	"Sorry, Apple. We won that race three years ago."

	"Only the Amiga."
--
		    Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		     Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	          Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn busines#!rne

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (12/02/88)

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:

>Just thinking back on the killer demo contest, I don't believe that
>I saw anything at all produced using the Zuma TV Show or the Aegis
>(presentation-video) thing.  Are these two packages not as good as
>The Director (I have Director, but have not taken any time to learn
>it thusfar, and I don't have either of the other two).  Do these
>other programs NOT come with a freely redistributable player, or
>are they just too hard to learn, or what?  I am curious -- fellow.
>
>Rob Peck

Hiya Rob. Yup both the Aegis Presentation Thingy (you thinking of
Lights Camera Action? or VideoTitler/ShowSeg?) and TV*SHOW come with
freely distributable players.  HOWEVER (underline that) neither one is
really capable of the kind of power and flexibility of The Director.
HOWEVER (put a yellow line over that) both of them are much easier to
use since, basically, they have user interfaces and The Director
doesn't.  It's a trade-off.  The Director can do these wonderful
"blit this brush over there" type off stuff that really nothing else
on the market is capable of.  In other words, you couldn't duplicate
something like the Probe Sequence or RGB with any other piece of
software of which I'm aware, but you COULD duplicate the output of
most ANY other package with The Director.

There was a wonderful Killer Demo from last year's group of entries
by Robert Wilt called "Killer" in which he lampooned other makes ov
computers vis-a-vis the Amiga to a soundtrack of Beatles tunes. As far
as I can ascertain, Wilt created Killer the "old fashioned way" - he
programmed it from scratch and didn't use any off-the-shelf "demo creation"
package.  This is something that probably COULD be duplicated with
The Director, given enough time and knowledge of its hundreds of
commands.

TV*SHOW gives the novice user just about the easiest and most painless
way of creating very good looking slideshows with simple brush moves
that I've ever seen.  It has a terrific interface you can learn in
about 10 minutes.  But I doubt anyone will be creating "Killer Demos"
with it...

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (12/02/88)

In article <740@ardent.UUCP> rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>Just thinking back on the killer demo contest, I don't believe that
>I saw anything at all produced using the Zuma TV Show or the Aegis
>(presentation-video) thing.  Are these two packages not as good as
>Rob Peck

TV SHOW is great for banging out titles and slideshows in a hurry. However,
it has no support for playing compressed ANIM files, which limits the speed
and complexity of your presentations. I can't remember if the player that
comes with it can be freely distributed or not. I do know that I tried to
use it once, it didn't work properly, and I didn't have time to figure out
why. I usually just load up the edit program and use that. I'll go back and
take a look at it tonight, when I can go home and use my "real computer".

Incidentaly, thanks for the book. My work on my manual is coming along
somewhat slowly, but it's getting there. Hopefully, it'll be done before
Christmas :-).

--hal

--
------------------                    "I am living in a condo
hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu                    with Henry Thoreau"

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (12/02/88)

-
-just thinking back on the killer demo contest, I don't believe that
-I saw anything at all produced using the Zuma TV Show or the Aegis
-(presentation-video) thing.  Are these two packages not as good as

This is strictly my humble opinion.  Usually when you have software
thrown in, it is stuff that isn't strong enough to sell on its own
(they didn't throw in F18, why? Because people will buy it anyway...)
so they bundle it in a special offer package deal. Fegh.

Regarding the advertising.  CATS, DOGS, and etc:  Don't we have ANY of
the people who think up the ads listening in?  Between the the wackiness
of Mike Smithwick, the talent of Leo Schwab (damn I bet I misspelled it)
and the artistry of Marco, and etc etc etc.... we could come up with
some KILLER ads.  Most of the people here, I think, would be happy
to submit ideas for ads for little more than a tip o the hat their way.
(wotta thought... Public Domain Ads...)

There will always be someone who doesn't like the ad, granted.  At least
they are advertising....

Our club is going to do the best kind of advertising.  We are going to help
a new Amiga outlet here in Tulsa (B'Dalton's Software Etc.) show off
the system.  Soon we are going to have a mini-show right outside the
store, in the mall.

Another way...I am taking an intro course in computers (had to, credits
wouldn't transfer) and rather than sleep through the thing, my teacher
had me bring in an Amiga loaded for combat and unleash it on beginners
who had only see PC's and maybe a Mac.  I knocked their socks off.

    // You've heard of CATS, DOGS, & GOATS?  *NOW* TRY GERBILS!
   //   "Gladly Educating Real Beginners In Latest Software!"
\\//   Lawrence H. Brown       USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!zlhb0a
 \/      (918-660-4389) USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145

In article <649@apctrc.UUCP> lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) writes:
>Regarding the advertising.  CATS, DOGS, and etc:  Don't we have ANY of
>the people who think up the ads listening in?  Between the the wackiness
>of Mike Smithwick, the talent of Leo Schwab (damn I bet I misspelled it)
>					      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Nope, you got it right.

>and the artistry of Marco, and etc etc etc.... we could come up with
>some KILLER ads.  Most of the people here, I think, would be happy
>to submit ideas for ads for little more than a tip o the hat their way.

	Let me just say (once again) just in case any of the ad people *are*
looking in that I would consider it an honor, as well a a lot of fun, to
contribute to an Amiga ad.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (12/15/88)

In article <649@apctrc.UUCP> lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) writes:
>Regarding the advertising.  CATS, DOGS, and etc:  Don't we have ANY of
>the people who think up the ads listening in?  Between the the wackiness
                                                                 ^^^^^^^^^
>of Mike Smithwick. . . .

I resemble that remark!

>some KILLER ads.  Most of the people here, I think, would be happy
>to submit ideas for ads for little more than a tip o the hat their way.

About a year ago, I proposed to BAADGE (awright, BADGE) and FAUG that we
have a 'Design an Ad Contest'. I even sent email to Paul Higginbottom (sp?)
and he said "Cute, but getawayfromme. . .".

Even without any interest from
Amiga-Commodore, I still think it might be fun to have the contest considering
the numbers of creative people and tools out there.

There could be catagories for submissions in IFF and Anim formats. For the
more sophisticated types, we would accept actual print and video entries.

If C= really was interested, the winning entries would then be published
or shown on TV.

Anybody interested?

I already have a couple worked out in my mind that I'd do if I knew that
they'd be distributed.

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Scientists say 'Saturn is so light, if you put it in a bucket of