[comp.sys.amiga] System crashes, asks for kickstart!

armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) (12/02/88)

After finally getting my hands on the 1.3 Enhancer package, I
discovered a strange system crash. After doing some extensive file
copying to and from the ram: disk(pity me, still making do w/ only the
internal drive!), the power indicator light began flashing its
fatefull message to me. I instinctively pulled out the Workbench disk
from my disk case and was utterly amazed when the screen showed the
hand holding the KICKSTART 1.3 disk! I put in Kickstart which loaded
ok and then Workbench, which also loaded fine. This scenario has
happened several times to me since switching over to 1.3- usually when
I do something that consumes alot of memory. (I have a 1000 w/ 512k.)
What causes this? Has anyone else experienced it? I thought Kickstart
was loaded into protected memory...what's goin' on?!?
-GEA

afraser@ssibbs.UUCP (Alex Fraser) (12/03/88)

In article <Dec.1.12.03.47.1988.2600@topaz.rutgers.edu>, armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:
> discovered a strange system crash. After doing some extensive file
> copying to and from the ram: disk(pity me, still making do w/ only the
> internal drive!), the power indicator light began flashing its
> fatefull message to me. I instinctively pulled out the Workbench disk
> from my disk case and was utterly amazed when the screen showed the
> hand holding the KICKSTART 1.3 disk! I put in Kickstart which loaded
> ok and then Workbench, which also loaded fine. This scenario has
> happened several times to me since switching over to 1.3- usually when
> I do something that consumes alot of memory. (I have a 1000 w/ 512k.)

I too have had problems where everything in memory is eradicated by
a strange system crash involving heavy RAM disk usage.  Since I have
switched to 1.3 I have had many gurus and "the blue screen" during
heavy ram disk usage.  Just last night I was copying a small executable
I had just unarced from RAM: to DH0: and suddenly the screen went BLACK.
Is there something about the ram disk handler to explain this, or
should I be looking at hardware?

--
/* Alexander Fraser  23 Sheraton Park  "In the east where the bear is dancing;
   ssibbs!afraser   Arlington MA 02174  In the west where the eagle flies..."

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (12/09/88)

In article <Dec.1.12.03.47.1988.2600@topaz.rutgers.edu> armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:
>After finally getting my hands on the 1.3 Enhancer package, I
>discovered a strange system crash. After doing some extensive file
>copying to and from the ram: disk(pity me, still making do w/ only the
>internal drive!), the power indicator light began flashing its
>fatefull message to me. I instinctively pulled out the Workbench disk
>from my disk case and was utterly amazed when the screen showed the
>hand holding the KICKSTART 1.3 disk! I put in Kickstart which loaded
>ok and then Workbench, which also loaded fine. This scenario has
>happened several times to me since switching over to 1.3- usually when
>I do something that consumes alot of memory. (I have a 1000 w/ 512k.)
>What causes this? Has anyone else experienced it? I thought Kickstart
>was loaded into protected memory...what's goin' on?!?
>-GEA

I had left a message to the same effect before I read yours...  So this
is not an isolated problem.  I also have a 512k 1000 and have had the problem
after making a bunch of commands resident and running Access! in my
Startup-Sequence.

So Amiga-gurus, what's going on?  This has never happened to me before
1.3.

Although I have seen a program called rekick which flashes
pretty colors and goes back to kickstart.  From disassembly I noticed
that is uses a 68000 RESET instruction.  Apparently this resets the
WCS.

So is somehow a RESET being accidently executed when the Amiga runs out of
memory?  After it "accidently" gets into supervisor mode?  What's the deal?

-- Dan Howell  <...!pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!dan>  <dan@ivucsb.UUCP>
-- The Heineken Uncertainty Principle:
--	You can never be sure how many beers you had last night.

GeeWhiz@cup.portal.com (Paul Terry Pryor) (12/11/88)

I have the same problems after using KickFonts3 on my KickStart 1.3. Whenver
my machine crashes, I alway had to put in the KickStart. I did use SumKick.

Could KickFonts3 be fixed ? Or something strange is going on ...

Paul.

jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) (12/12/88)

I'd like to add my name to the list of people who have had my A1000
reboot to kickstart since installing 1.3. I have two A1000s, both
with expanded memory. Up until I got 1.3, I had only seen these machines
reboot to kickstart a couple of times. Since getting 1.3 it has happened
several times. In fact, at one point I had a repeatable interaction
between Mach II and ConMan that would crash the machine to kickstart
everytime I hit F6. I traced it down to a bad Mach.config file.
Unfortunately I didn't have sense to save the file, being overjoyed
at finally finding out what was wrong with my machine.

--

                               Jim Crotinger
                               crotinger%mit.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

wdg@unccvax.UUCP (Doug Gullett) (12/13/88)

Same happens to me.  I have 1 meg 'addmem'ed to bring my A1000 up to
1.5 meg.  I rarely had this kind of problem before.

			thanks,
			wdg

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (12/13/88)

in article <54@ssibbs.UUCP>, jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) says:
> I'd like to add my name to the list of people who have had my A1000
> reboot to kickstart since installing 1.3. I have two A1000s, both
> with expanded memory. Up until I got 1.3, I had only seen these machines
> reboot to kickstart a couple of times. Since getting 1.3 it has happened
> several times. In fact, at one point I had a repeatable interaction
> between Mach II and ConMan that would crash the machine to kickstart
> everytime I hit F6. I traced it down to a bad Mach.config file.
> Unfortunately I didn't have sense to save the file, being overjoyed
> at finally finding out what was wrong with my machine.

Note that Mach II has a major bug where it is not properly closing
some device or message port... it "loses" memory. Try it yourself --
type "avail", pop the Mach II window up, do something, pop it back,
type "avail" again... and presto, instant memory gone. At least, I
think that was how I did it... I don't happen to have a copy of Mach
II anymore, I deleted it as soon as I found that particular instance
of brain-damage (yeah, I've had it happen to my own programs in the
past.... but at least I checked AVAIL before & after to CHECK, &
fixed it).

I, too, have had an A-1000 reset that went back to Kickstart (and I'm
still using 1.2 Kickstart, although I've upgraded to 1.3 Workbench). I
think I traced it down to my RAM card, a PP&S MegaBoard 2. Since I
cleaned the expansion slot "fingers", removed my Megaboard from its
case, and shoved it more firmly into the slot, I haven't had it happen
(fingers crossed :-}).

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

rodger@hpdml93.HP.COM (Rodger Anderson) (12/15/88)

>/ hpdml93:comp.sys.amiga / elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) /  8:06 pm  Dec 12, 1988 /

>Note that Mach II has a major bug where it is not properly closing
>some device or message port... it "loses" memory. Try it yourself --
>type "avail", pop the Mach II window up, do something, pop it back,
>type "avail" again... and presto, instant memory gone. At least, I
>think that was how I did it... I don't happen to have a copy of Mach
>II anymore, I deleted it as soon as I found that particular instance
>of brain-damage (yeah, I've had it happen to my own programs in the
>past.... but at least I checked AVAIL before & after to CHECK, &
>fixed it).
I will relay this to Brian Moats, the author of MachII, and see if he
knows about it.  What version were you using?  The current version is
2.4.
Rodger Anderson (rodger@hpdml93)
              or(rodger%hpdml93@hplabs.hp.com)