[comp.sys.amiga] Any chance of a portable Amiga?

odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60200000) (12/14/88)

What would be the chance of Commodore coming out with such a beast?  I am
planning on going abroad next year and have just realized that there is almost
no way that I will be able to bring my A2000.  This means that I'll probably
have to sell it (whimper) and buy a portable PCompatible <shudder>. Also, right
now I travel across the country at least 4 or 5 times a year and have to leave
my Amiga behind.  I feel practically naked without my computer there with me.
I always find myself with all this free time and nothing to do with it.  Not
fun at all :-)

I'm not asking for much, maybe just a 500 with 1 meg, 2 floppy drives, and a
full screen LCD (or whatever).  Of course, an extra meg and a 20 MB SCSI hard
drive would be nice and since I'm fantasizing, why not.  Of course, the screen
should do full speed, 4 color graphics and should have a built in 3/12/2400
baud modem (Hayes compatible).  Lessee, anything else I forgot?  Of course
it should also have a power cord with optional battery pack (lasting 10-12
hours) which recharges automatically while using the power cord.  Built in
surge supressing and line noise filtering is another must.  And it should come
with the GOMF! 3.0 software and button already installed.  As far as a mouse
is concerned there should be a user-selectable option of mouse (if there's
room where you are) or trackball (built-in).  It should be available for
under $2000.00, of course :-).

I think I've put in everything I want that I can think of right now.  UNIX
would be optional of course (along with the extra memory and disk space needed).
Please pardon the rambling since my brain is fried from finals week here at
wonderful UCSC.  If anyone from CBM sees this they can count this as a
desperate plea for a computer that is more powerful (i.e. memory and disk space)
, smaller, and more contained than the A500.  I would be happy even with a A500
with an extra drive and builtin LCD screen.

Anyone else have any suggestions/comments?

Jon
:<=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=>:
:Jon Granrose         |    // Only   |    ARPAnet:  odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU       :
:Cowell College, UCSC |  \X/  Amiga  |    Bitnet:   ~!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin :
:Santa Cruz, CA 95064 | Opinions?!?  That'll be the day...                    :

bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Butler Hine sst) (12/15/88)

In article <5764@saturn.ucsc.edu> odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) writes:

>I'm not asking for much, maybe just a 500 with 1 meg, 2 floppy drives, and a
>full screen LCD (or whatever).  Of course, an extra meg and a 20 MB SCSI hard
...wild fantasizing deleted...
>, smaller, and more contained than the A500.  I would be happy even with a A500
>with an extra drive and builtin LCD screen.

When I originally bought my A1000, one of the first things I got for it
was a padded case with a handle.  I took it with me on a few trips, but
soon found that the lack of a monitor really cramps your style (although
it is easy to use an RF adapter and plug in to the nearest TV set).  I
have been checking periodically the quality of the new LCD color TV's as
regards a portable monitor, but so far they don't really measure up as
useable in 640x200 mode (although you can read them in LO-RES).  What I
would really like to see is a 640x200 LCD flat panel screen which
accepted IBM style RGB TTL signals.  At this point, I would even settle
for shades of grey (or amber, whatever).  If anyone hears of such a
beast, let us know about it.  I think Commodore is missing a bet by not
offering a portable.  And they are so close, considering how small and
light the A500 already is.  Just my opinion.

			Butler Hine
			NASA Ames Research Center
			hine@galileo.arc.nasa.gov

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (12/15/88)

I'm designing a carrying case for my 500 with pockets for the power supply,
outboard drive, and disks.  I stumbled onto a "find" for the monitor -- the
local dealer had a used Sanyo 9" green-screen monitor he wanted to unload,
so I gave him $5 for it.  The monitor has a handle on top, and is pretty
light.  I'm willing to put up with the tiny monochrome screen; others may
not.

That's probably as close to a portable Amiga as anyone will ever see (except
Dale Luck's special).

	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek