[comp.sys.amiga] IFF viewer, UUencode, Kermit

jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (12/04/88)

> From: zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown)
> The iff2sun program recently posted doesn't work well for me.
> My first guess is that the iff files are coming back mundged,

Give that man a cigar!  Kermit doesn't work for shit on binary
files, even if you use binary mode.  I've been bitten by this
one before.  You have to use UUencode or something.

>		so like a happy camper, I type (all in ram)
>			uuencode mickey.iff mickey.uu

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of bogus online help.
Ok, UUencode uses the first file name as the file to encode.
Good so far.  The second file name is put on the front of
the output - it is the name of the file that UUdecode
is to produce.  Output goes to stdout, so you have to say

	uuencode mickey.iff mickey.iff > mickey.uu

Hope this helps.

Anyway, I figured I'd mention that I've written an IFF
reader that should run in any implementation of Common Lisp.
I have code for reading ILBMs and 8SVXs, but I think the
8SVX BODYs aren't being dealt with right, either that or
the TI D/A is much different than the Amiga's.

But, here's the cool part, if you run it on a TI explorer,
it is able to display the ILBMs.  If you have a color
explorer, all the better.  (No HAM yet...  I have to figure
out how to map 4096 colors into a 256 color cmap...)
Mail me if you want it, but you probably don't, you're
probably all C weenies.  (smile!)

Can someone tell me what the various numbers that can show
up in an ILBM CAMG are and mean?

Oh, yeah, here's an obscure bug!  DigiView sometimes writes
out the wrong aspect ratio in BMHDs.  I think it's always
writing 10/11 when sometimes it should be 20/11 (maybe I
have those frations upside-down).

Nerves like nylon, nerves like steel...

 Jamie MAXIMAL RESOURCES Zawinski
 jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu
 sun!sunpitt!eti!jwz
--

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (12/05/88)

In article <3763@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>> From: zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown)
>> My first guess is that the iff files are coming back mundged,
>
>Give that man a cigar!  Kermit doesn't work for shit on binary
>files, even if you use binary mode.  I've been bitten by this
>one before.  You have to use UUencode or something.

I have had no problems transferring binary files via Kermit from a Unix
system.  But I could never get binary files from a Fido (MS-DOS) system.
The problem is that the Fido Kermit was doing 8th bit quoting when it
was told not to.  It sent extra ampersands which totally messed up the
IFF file.

Now for the good news.  The Kermit that is inside VT100 (V2.6/jrbii.2) works
fine with C-Kermit 4D(061) 4.2 BSD.  I have "MODE IMAGE" set in
S:VT100.INIT and use "kermit -i -s whatever.arc".  "IMAGE" and "-i" are
flags which say to not convert NL to CR+LF and vice versa.  A quick check
to see if the file made it OK is to compare byte counts from "ls -l" and
"list".

In summary - Kermit can handle binary files, including IFF images.

| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (12/05/88)

In article <3763@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>Give that man a cigar!  Kermit doesn't work for shit on binary
>files, even if you use binary mode.  I've been bitten by this
>one before.  You have to use UUencode or something.

It does work, I have recently copied several IFF files from my Amiga 2000 to
our Sun server using the kermit send function of VT100 (V2.8 ACS 880117). It
talks to C-Kermit well enough, though I admit it was a pain to get all the
parameters right. Dealing with flow control and 8 bit can be complicated,
but it does work once you get it set up.

I have converted these using iff2sun !!! Thank you, Steve Berry !!! to Sun
rasterfile format and displayed them on Sun workstations. One note about
the iff2sun documentation; on our system (SunOS 3.5) rasfilter8to1 does NOT
do dithering, although the man page says it does (it says "unknown option"
to -d). I use a program called 8to1 which went by on ?comp.sources.misc? a
while back.

So far, I am getting pretty good results on the mono workstations by
digitizing in 640 by 480 grey scale with Digiview 3.0, this image is about
the right size after it has been doubled once using rastrepl on the Sun
(576 by 450 doubles to the right size exactly). If you want to trim the
images to exactly the right size on the Amiga, I recommend PIXmate by
Progressive Peripherals & Software, I bought this Saturday, so far, I am
very favourably impressed. It lets me trim the image by sliding it around
with the cursor keys, also does a nice image sharpen, plus a lot more that
I havn't had time to try.

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company      POTS:408-922-7508

keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) (12/08/88)

In article <289@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) writes:
>In summary - Kermit can handle binary files, including IFF images.

True, Kermit can, but many specific implementations do not, usually do to
bugs.  In particular, the last version of Amiga C-Kermit I've seen (though
I'll admit it has been a while) drops a byte out of odd-byte-length files.

Keith Doyle
gryphon!keithd

In article <3763@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>> From: zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown)
>> The iff2sun program recently posted doesn't work well for me.
>> My first guess is that the iff files are coming back mundged,
>
>Give that man a cigar!  Kermit doesn't work for shit on binary
>files, even if you use binary mode.  I've been bitten by this
>one before.  You have to use UUencode or something.

Sorry to contracdict you, but kermit works just fine transmitting binary
files.  The trick for binary files is to use BINARY mode on BOTH ends
["set file type binary" on UNIX, for example].

I've transferred binary IFF files between UNIX, PC-DOG and Amiga with
the kermits in VT100 and A-Talk III with NO problem.  In fact, kermit
currently the ONLY protocol available that allows transfers of 8-bit
binary files over 7-bit lines (the usual lines with IBM maninframes)
using 8-bit prefixing (slow, but it works).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) (12/16/88)

In article <13933@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <3763@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jwz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>>> From: zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown)
>>> The iff2sun program recently posted doesn't work well for me.
>>> My first guess is that the iff files are coming back mundged,
>>
>>Give that man a cigar!  Kermit doesn't work for shit on binary
>>files, even if you use binary mode.  I've been bitten by this
>>one before.  You have to use UUencode or something.
>
>Sorry to contracdict you, but kermit works just fine transmitting binary
>files.  The trick for binary files is to use BINARY mode on BOTH ends
>["set file type binary" on UNIX, for example].
>
>I've transferred binary IFF files between UNIX, PC-DOG and Amiga with

ahh, but have you tried transmitting binary files with Amiga Kermit
4D (060)?  It occasionally drops a byte.  (yes I do set file type binary
on both ends)  Trying to  uncompress one of these damaged files may:
 1) fill up your hard disk partition.
 2) GURU & blow away RAD:
 3) GURU back to KickStart.
 4) throw you into a GURU loop when trying to boot from RAD: which
    has been partially damaged.  (You know, GURU, hit left button,
    flashing light, screen changes grey shade, GURU, etc)
This is all very frustrating.  Furthermore files which transferred
incorrectly, will do so again, indicating broken Kermit.

>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
> "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-Gary Brant

#include <stddisclaimer.h>

In article <10455@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU| brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) writes:
|||Give that man a cigar!  Kermit doesn't work for shit on binary
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|||files, even if you use binary mode.  I've been bitten by this
|||one before.  You have to use UUencode or something.
||Sorry to contracdict you, but kermit works just fine transmitting binary
||files.  The trick for binary files is to use BINARY mode on BOTH ends
||["set file type binary" on UNIX, for example].
||I've transferred binary IFF files between UNIX, PC-DOG and Amiga with
|
|ahh, but have you tried transmitting binary files with Amiga Kermit
|4D (060)?  It occasionally drops a byte.  (yes I do set file type binary
| [stuff deleted]
|This is all very frustrating.  Furthermore files which transferred
|incorrectly, will do so again, indicating broken Kermit.

If a particular port/implementation of Kermit is broken, that does not
mean that "Kermit", the protocol, is.  The statement that "Kermit doesn't
work on binary files" is plain FALSE.  The fact that AmigaKermit is
broken is another story.  Complain with whoever ported it [which is
likely to send the compain /dev/null anyway; you get what you pay for:-)],