[comp.sys.amiga] Unlocking bug is in ZOO, not vt100

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (12/14/88)

Very recently I posted my erroneous opinion that vt100 v2.8a had a bug where
it was not freeing locks to the download directories.  My apologies to
Tony Sumrall; the bug appears to be in zoo, not v100.  I am using the version
of zoo most recently posted to the binaries group.

Xoper shows a pair of locks, a read and a write, in each directory where I
did a zoo -extract.  No CLI's are currently in the directories in question
so I can think of no valid reason why the locks would be there.

Can anyone confirm this?

.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
|  Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     |        B A N   T H E         |
|  AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com |       H O L O D E C K !      |
.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (12/16/88)

From article <640@cord.UUCP>, by nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock):
> Very recently I posted my erroneous opinion that vt100 v2.8a had a bug where
> it was not freeing locks to the download directories.  My apologies to
> Tony Sumrall; the bug appears to be in zoo, not v100.  I am using the version
> of zoo most recently posted to the binaries group.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

     That's sure consistent with my experience.  After unpacking an archive
with Zoo, then deleting all the files in the directory, I found I couldn't
delete the directory--got a message saying the object was in use.  Once I
rebooted I had no trouble deleting it, so I know it wasn't a corrupt disk.
It's pretty easy to repeat the experiment, so I'm sure you've uncovered a
bug in Zoo.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3
      ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom MKT) (12/16/88)

In article <522@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
$...After unpacking an archive
$with Zoo, then deleting all the files in the directory, I found I couldn't
$delete the directory--got a message saying the object was in use.  Once I
$rebooted I had no trouble deleting it, so I know it wasn't a corrupt disk.

FYI - I always download zoo archives to RAM: and extract the files out of
them there.  It's fast, and I don't need to worry about lock problems as
I have no need (or ability) to delete the RAM: directory.

	Hope this helps.

	Paul.

Disclaimer: but then again... I could be wrong.
Contact at: cbmvax!higgin.