[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga pirating...

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (12/07/88)

Lately I've been seeing a lot of writing about copying software  on  the
Amiga,  and  quite  frankly I'm getting worried. I just recently sold my
Atari ST, and one of the major reasons was  because  of  the  amount  of
pirating  that  is done on that computer. I'm part of a developers group
and we recently switched to programming for the Amiga. Is  the  pirating
problem  bad  on  the  Amy? I've seen the ST fizzle slowly as the pirate
BBS's added HD's. Has this recent trend snuck into the Amiga  community?
One that seemed more serious than that?

If  you  know a little about the ST market you wouldn't wonder twice why
FTL and other software  companies  are  heavily  copy  protecting  their
software.  Remember  that  FTL  is coming from the ST market; why should
they think things would be different with the Amy users.
--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (12/07/88)

:Lately I've been seeing a lot of writing about copying software  on  the
:Amiga,  and  quite  frankly I'm getting worried. I just recently sold my
:Atari ST, and one of the major reasons was  because  of  the  amount  of
:pirating  that  is done on that computer. I'm part of a developers group
:and we recently switched to programming for the Amiga. Is  the  pirating
:problem  bad  on  the  Amy? I've seen the ST fizzle slowly as the pirate
:BBS's added HD's. Has this recent trend snuck into the Amiga  community?
:One that seemed more serious than that?

	There is pirating on every computer.  I like to think that, due to
the type of the majority of people who bought the original Amiga's and those
who are now buying Amiga's, there is more responsibility relative to other
microcomputers (IBM-PC's, Apple II's, and, sadly, the new Atari's).  It is
difficult for professional pirates to gain a base in the Amiga community
when their prospective clients are more likely to turn them in.  I would be
stupid to say that pirating doesn't exist on the Amiga, and I for one do not
underestimate pirates as most corporations do.

	On this group, except for one poor high school student many
months ago who didn't realize who he was talking to, there are no
professional pirates in active discussion.  All of the discussion on
copying disks relates to the following points:

	(1) disk based copyprotection, especially when the disk gets
	    written to, usually destroys the disk and makes the
	    game unusable after a period of time.

	(2) Honest people are not allowed to make backups, or are so
	    limited that even being allowed a single backup is useless.

	(3) In many cases it is not possible to put the game on one's
	    HD. (This is BIG).

	On a related topic, nobody likes a game which takes over the entire
machine.  Most commercial games do this, which is utterly useless to many
of us who want to do other things at the same time.  This is a relatively
new concept due to the multi-tasking nature of the Amiga.  All of this also
pertains to commercial software (non-games) but to a lesser extent.

	Fortunetly, there are many PD, Freeware, and Shareware games
out there that serve to give the professional companies notice that their
methods of protection and philosophy of machine are outdated.  My favorites
are:

	Larn
	Asteriods
	Amoeba

	I have other favorites but I am thinking fast now and haven't
the time to remember them (ha).  The three above are very well written,
do not take over the machine, do not crash the machine, have no copy
protection (of course, being PD/Fw/Sw), can be installed on one's
HD, and do not make tacit assumptions as to the configuration of the
machine.

	So what you will have here often are a lot of flames directed towards
software companies for being idiots in their schemes.

					-Matt

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) (12/08/88)

In article <8812062316.AA06717@postgres.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	Larn
>	Asteriods
>	Amoeba
>
>The three above are very well written,
>do not take over the machine, do not crash the machine, have no copy
>protection (of course, being PD/Fw/Sw), can be installed on one's
>HD, and do not make tacit assumptions as to the configuration of the
>machine.

	I don't think you deliberately forgot it, but I like to occasionally
remind people of a game that got everything right.

	It was one of the first games ever released for the Amiga.  It
worked when expansion RAM became prolific.  It worked when 1.2 came out.
It works on a 68020.  It doesn't take over the machine.  It multitasks.  You
can pause it.  And it's not copy-protected.  When everyone else's games were
crashing left and right due to failing to observe the Amiga programming
guidelines, this game kept plugging along.

	It was Mind Walker.

	An excellent example of How To Do It Right.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) (12/09/88)

One thing that you developers out there can do to help the Amiga
game software to become more useful is in the area of awareness.

If you are writing a game program for the Amiga, and it is hard-disk-
installable, allows multi-tasking, and/or is not copy protected, STATE
IT ON THE PACKAGE.  If more and more games are clearly marked as having
these qualities, and users start to buy your packages more because of it,
then the other companies will have to as well to be competitive.

Keith Doyle
gryphon!keithd

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (12/13/88)

n writing Don Bluth's Dragon's Lair, we were sorely aware of the
need for Hard Drive support on copy protected software.
Particularely, for a game such as this which has 6 and some odd Megs
of data.

Our solution was to include hard drive support in the form of a
dedicated partition.  This, however, required a great deal of time
and money to implement.  In addition, because the game (as most
Amiga games) takes over the system completely, all interfacing needs
to be done at a very low level, and as such needs to be rewritten
specifically for each hard drive controller.  When we contacted Hard
Drive manufacturers, only Comspec gave us the support we needed to
produce this feature for the Amiga gaming community.

So, it's not all the fault of us "big bad developers."  There are
many difficulties in implementing these much sought-after features.
In addition,this support will often reduce the effectiveness of the
copy protection.

Mark Vange
Visionary Design Technologies

?

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (12/14/88)

	Such a program I would never in my life buy.  A separate partition?
Going directly to the low level hardware when there are several DOZEN different
drivers out there?  Instant incompatibility with all new HD products?

	I would say that it is indeed your fault (the philosophical position,
not specific persons).  The old time attitude of just being able to take over
an entire machine, bypass everything, and go to the hardware directly is not
a viable means with todays micros anymore.  Forget the damn copy protection.
For a properly written package, you will loose more money due to lost
clientel (due to the refusal of many people to buy copyprotected programs)
than to any pirating.  And while many exceptions to my last comment exist
today, just as many exist to support it, and the future is obviously
moving towards it.

:
[...]

	Ooops, forgot to sign that last message:

	     .		o
      .
 .
//					  O

					-Matt\|/
					      *

    "The trajectory failed due to an ill-considered rounding of the
     floating point quantity by the compiler"

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (12/17/88)

In article <226@xrtll.UUCP> mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) writes:

>n writing Don Bluth's Dragon's Lair, we were sorely aware of the
>need for Hard Drive support on copy protected software.
>Particularely, for a game such as this which has 6 and some odd Megs
>of data.
>
>Our solution was to include hard drive support in the form of a
>dedicated partition.

	Gaghm, yuk, phutoey.  This is so ridiculous as to be
	laughable!  You actually require me to backup, reformat,
	and then restore my hard disk, to play a game??  Get
	with the program, jack- you should win some kind of award
	for this kind of horrid logic.

>                      This, however, required a great deal of time
>and money to implement.

	A foolish waste of time and money.  My Amiga already
	has all the software you need to read the hard disk.

>                         In addition, because the game (as most
>Amiga games) takes over the system completely, all interfacing needs
>to be done at a very low level, and as such needs to be rewritten
>specifically for each hard drive controller.

	Then don't take over the system completely.  You
	obviously haven't been reading this newsgroup lately.

>                                            When we contacted Hard
>Drive manufacturers, only Comspec gave us the support we needed to
>produce this feature for the Amiga gaming community.

	My god.  You really planned to contact _every_ hard
	drive maker and expect them to help you do this??!

>So, it's not all the fault of us "big bad developers."  There are
>many difficulties in implementing these much sought-after features.

	No there aren't.  You create the difficulties.  You can't
	expect to program the Amiga like it's a ST.

>Mark Vange
>Visionary Design Technologies

	Thank you for describing your CP strategy to me.  I
	now realize my dollars would be better spent on some
	other piece of game software.

-scott