[comp.sys.amiga] The problem with dealerships

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (12/10/88)

In article <5485@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <12325@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>>I HAVE been the recipient of copied commercial software, both games, languages
>>and utillities.  The ones I liked I PURCHASED.  All disks have been wiped of
>>the bootleg copies

>	The best solution to this is to have a good dealer.

I think Dana has hit the problem right on the head. People wouldn't be
surprised if they could at least get their hands on the software before
purchase. Of course "no try before you buy" actually benefits some software
writers who make a lousy product and sell it with great packaging.

How are the Amiga dealers in YOUR area? Do they:

1. Let you demo software and peruse manuals before you buy?
2. Let you return software that doesn't work on your configuration?
3. Let you return software that doesn't do as it says?

A lot of dealers are reluctant to let people open things and try them. I'm
fortunate to live in an area where at least one dealership (Surreal Systems,
Lexington, Ky.) will.

Sean

--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (12/13/88)

>writers who make a lousy product and sell it with great packaging.

>How are the Amiga dealers in YOUR area? Do they:

There are some in the Si. Valley that do this. Now if the people that
work there would just LEARN how to use packages other than games!!

I, for one, don't have 2 or 3 hours to sit down and read enough of the
manual and play with a new program until I know enough about it to
make a good decision as to it's worth.

IE: The Director -- I still haven't gotten time to play with this much.
I sure would have like the dealer to be able to show me a few things
about it other than the demo. (Which I had to run myself!!)

(I bought it anyhow because of recommendations from Net folks--)

Me: Could you tell be the relative merits of these two compilers, please?
Dealer person: I'm sorry  -- we don't program here -- so we don't know.
     But -- have you seen this GREAT game --- StarGlider II??
Me: No -- but I really don't care -- I want a compiler.

Dave S.

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (12/15/88)

In article <2030132@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:

> Me: Could you tell be the relative merits of these two compilers, please?
> Dealer person: I'm sorry  -- we don't program here -- so we don't know.
>      But -- have you seen this GREAT game --- StarGlider II??
> Me: No -- but I really don't care -- I want a compiler.

Do you really ask the sales persons what compiler you should buy??.
Obviously they are going to recommend the most expensive. I would only
consider suggestions from people not associated with the product or the
dealer selling it. That way, I would get a totally unbiased recommendation.

|Derek Lee-Wo, Health Systems International, New Haven, CT 06511.             |
|E-mail address :- ...!harvard!yale!hsi!derek. Phone :- (203)777-3125.        |

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (12/17/88)

Derek,

>> Me: Could you tell be the relative merits of these two compilers, please?
>> Dealer person: I'm sorry  -- we don't program here -- so we don't know.
>>      But -- have you seen this GREAT game --- StarGlider II??
>> Me: No -- but I really don't care -- I want a compiler.

>Do you really ask the sales persons what compiler you should buy??.

Yes -- I think they should be able to provide me information about the
merits of a compiler (or any other software package). I then take that
information, along with information from other sources such as the NET
and make my decision on which to buy.

The sales person should be familiar enough with the product to
fire the thing up an show me some of the features.

>Obviously they are going to recommend the most expensive. I would only

Not if they are worth anything. Sales people from HP, IBM and such
(the corporate sales people) recommend a product or system based
on customer needs, not relative cost of the merchandise.
(They do this to make the customer happy. A happy customer is a
repeat customer.)

Actually -- the person where I bought my compiler didn't recommend
anything -- just said, "We don't know." :-\

The type of sales person you mention belongs in a used car lot.

Yeah I know I may be dreaming --- but I've always been a dreamer. ;-}.

>consider suggestions from people not associated with the product or the
>dealer selling it. That way, I would get a totally unbiased recommendation.

I don't like to eliminate any information, particularly when considering
something as expensive as a compiler (Expensive at least to me. ;-) ).

Of course that's one of the reasons it took me so long to buy one! ;-) ;-)

Take care,

Dave S.