[comp.sys.amiga] Help with Dataproducts Prism-80 printer

arr@mtunn.ATT.COM (Andrew Raffman) (12/08/88)

I have just inherited a color dot matrix printer, but I have no manuals or
documentation and I want to try to get it to work on my Amiga.
It has a Dataproducts label on the front, on the back it says Dipix model
Prism-80. The bottom has another label from Integrated Data Systems (a division
of Dataproducts). Along the top it has a set of 14 DIP switches, a self-test switch
(I figured that one out myself), and labeled on-line, form-feed, etc. switches.
It has a serial interface in the back, and I have got it printing out at 9600 baud from
my Sun, so I know it works.
Does anyone know:
	1) What are the dip switches for?
	2) What control codes does this printer accept?
	3) Is it compatible with any other printer?
	4) Are there any Amiga printer drivers for it?
	5) How can I get ribbons (I only have a black one now), and is this
	printer still made?

Thank you for any help.
Andy Raffman
physical address:AT&T mt3k-323
email address:mtunn!arr

rsb@dukeac.UUCP (R. Scott Bartlett) (12/15/88)

In article <1200@mtunn.ATT.COM> arr@mtunn.ATT.COM (Andrew Raffman) writes:
[stuff about the IDS-80 printer that he aquired deleted]
>It has a serial interface in the back, and I have got it printing out at 9600 baud from
>my Sun, so I know it works.
Get this:  that port is also a parallel port!  Boy was i surprised when they
told me that!!
>Does anyone know:
>	1) What are the dip switches for?
		Email me if you need a list.
>	2) What control codes does this printer accept?
		Don't know????, but i want to know!!
>	3) Is it compatible with any other printer?
		IDS-Prism132,  and others that i can't think of offhand.
>	4) Are there any Amiga printer drivers for it?
		Sure hope so!!   If anyone has one, please email it to
		me.
>	5) How can I get ribbons (I only have a black one now), and is this
>	printer still made?
		I don't think that the printer is still made (i may be wrong).
		MEI (remember them?? :-) sells black ribbons for this beast.

>Thank you for any help.
>Andy Raffman
>physical address:AT&T mt3k-323
>email address:mtunn!arr

If someone has a manual for one of these beasts, please email me the control
codes.  I called IDS (Integral Data Systems BTW) and they said that they didn't
have any manuals on hand, but they would call me back when they got some.  Well,
they never did.

thanks!!

						rsb

--
rsb@dukeac.ac.duke.edu		///	"Amigas do it with hardware."-- Me
rutgers!mcnc!ecsvax!dukeac!rsb ///     "Sycamore is open."-- Negativ Land

gsarff@meph.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (12/17/88)

In article <1162@dukeac.UUCP> rsb@dukeac.UUCP (R. Scott Bartlett) writes:
>In article <1200@mtunn.ATT.COM> arr@mtunn.ATT.COM (Andrew Raffman) writes:
>[stuff about the IDS-80 printer that he aquired deleted]
>>It has a serial interface in the back, and I have got it printing out at 9600 baud from
>>my Sun, so I know it works.
>Get this:  that port is also a parallel port!  Boy was i surprised when they
>told me that!!
Yes, wish you didn't have to take the whole bloody cover off though to get to
the jumper to even see if it is parallel or serial.  You don't want to fry the
interface by plugging in the wrong cable if you aren't sure which interface
it is currently set up as.

>>Does anyone know:
>>	1) What are the dip switches for?
>		Email me if you need a list.
>>	2) What control codes does this printer accept?
>		Don't know????, but i want to know!!
>>	3) Is it compatible with any other printer?
>		IDS-Prism132,  and others that i can't think of offhand.
>>	4) Are there any Amiga printer drivers for it?
>		Sure hope so!!   If anyone has one, please email it to
>		me.

Yes there is a driver for it, I have emailed it to both of you.

>>	5) How can I get ribbons (I only have a black one now), and is this
>>	printer still made?
>		I don't think that the printer is still made (i may be wrong).
>		MEI (remember them?? :-) sells black ribbons for this beast.
Inmac is my choice, I have ordered both color and black ribbons from them for
several years for this printer and they are always in stock.

>>Thank you for any help.
>>Andy Raffman

>If someone has a manual for one of these beasts, please email me the control
>codes.  I called IDS (Integral Data Systems BTW) and they said that they didn't
>have any manuals on hand, but they would call me back when they got some.  Well,
>they never did.

I would if I didn't have to type them all in. 8-)  I have emailed you a
letter containing a uuencoded driver and some answers, dip switches and some
useful control codes, but I got tired before I got even half of the control
codes, (the printer fancies itself as a wordprocessor you know).  If either
of you want I could look around for maybe an old spare manual or photocopy
relevant parts, (the manual even includes pull out logic and circuit diagrams
for the printer's motherboard).
Bye

"Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad"
He who steals my core-dump, steals trash