From arpa!postgres.Berkeley.EDU!dillon Mon Dec 12 21:48:32 PST 1988
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 88 21:48:32 PST
From: dillon@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Matt Dillon)
To: daw@houxs.att.com
Subject: Re: Need help choosing a printer [naive questions]

>I need help choosing a Christmas present for an Amiga'n.
>He has a 2000, but no printer.  I personally know nothing about
>the needs of an Amiga (being a Mac and UNIX user) which is why
>I'm canvassing this population.
>
>So, if you can help, please send me mail.  (If responses warrent,
>I'll summarize to the net.)  Please don't post because I don't
>ordinarily read this group.
>
>1)  What kind of printer port does the Amiga use? Parallel, serial,
>	other?

	You can use either the parallel port or the serial port.  Of course,
the one you use is the one you loose, and since the serial port is all a
modem can use I use the parallel port for my printer (besides, the parallel
port is faster).

>2)  Can a common dot-matrix printer (e.g. Epson, Oki) be used?

	Yup.

>3)  Are special device drivers needed for each different kind of printer?

	There are device drivers for most printers.  You can usually get
away using the device driver for a similar printer if the exact one doesn't
exist, and people have posted drivers anything remaining.

>4)  Is a dot-matrix a reasonable choice for "hobbyist" use, or must a
>	more exotic technology be chosen?

	Yes.  The next step up is a laser which is costly to buy and
keep in shape.

>5)  Are Commodore-branded printers available and recommended? [based
>	on experiences w/ other manufacturers, I'd guess "no".]

	No!

>6)  What did I forget to ask?

	What printer would I recommend?  I recently bought an Epson LQ-500.
It is a dot matrix, 24 pin, letter quality printer.  B&W, 300dpi horizontal
180dpi vertical (graphics dumps are fast).  It cost me about $330.

	I really like it!  you can select the font from the front panel (as
well as by software, of course), it has an 8K built in buffer, downloadable
fonts (haven't used those yet), reliable graphics, is quick, and perhaps
the best feature of all is that it will position an 8.5x11 sheet of paper
correctly automatically (i.e., you stick it in, hit a button, and it feeds
it and positions it properly).

>All help gratefully appreciated.
>
>Dave Wolverton
>....!att!houxs!daw or daw@houxs.ATT.COM

			-Matt

From arpa!CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU!CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU!WSUVM1.BITNET!24847843 Mon Dec 12 17:27:30 PLT 1988
Date:         Mon, 12 Dec 88 17:27:30 PLT
From:         Shawn Clabough <24847843%WSUVM1.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:      Printers
To:           daw@houxs.ATT.COM

I have been using a Star NX1000 for quite some time now and am very happy
with it.  The Amiga 500 and 2000 use a standard RS232 parallel port, and
therefore accept any IBM style printer.  I'm currently a dealer in Star
printers and we sell them for $189 if you're interested.

                              Shawn Clabough
                              Lombards Underground Computer Sales
                              24847843@WSUVM1.BITNET

From homxb!whuts!att!watmath!alberta!calgary!spycal!john Thu Dec 15 00:27:22 1988
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 88 19:29:22 MST
From: watmath!calgary!spycal!john
To: calgary!alberta!att!whuts!homxb!houxs!daw

I have a NEC P2200 Printer on my Ami500, and I'm very happy
with it. The new workbench 1.3 has excellent support for it.

Regards,

---
|                   o                                                        |
|   John Presley, UNISYS Canada Inc, Calgary, Alberta       john@spycal.UUCP |

From arpa!polya.Stanford.EDU!ali Wed Dec 14 07:44:22 PDT 1988
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 88 07:44:22 PDT
From: Ali T. Ozer <ali@polya.Stanford.EDU>
To: daw@houxs.ATT.com
Subject: Printer

The Amiga can drive any kind of printer; parallel or serial. If your
friend already has a modem on the serial port, than a parallel printer
might be a better choice.

I've heard good things about the Epson LQ500 or LQ850 series printers.
They're dot matrix, but apparently almost as good as dot matrix printers
can get. I believe they are under or around $350-$400. You can of course
get a 9-pin dot matrix for probably under $200, but the print quality
won't be as nice.

Amiga has printer drivers for almost every printer available. Most drivers
are provided with the Amiga OS, and others are usually available from
PD sources, as freeware. But I do recommend your friend get the latest
Amiga OS (1.3) as it has more and better printer drivers than the
previous OS release (1.2). The prints will be nicer and faster.

Ali Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com

From att!texbell!splut!sugar!peter Wed Dec 14 14:05:43 1988
To: daw@houxs.ATT.COM
Date: 14 Dec 88 08:01:21 CST (Wed)
From: peter@sugar.UU.NET (Peter da Silva)

> 1)  What kind of printer port does the Amiga use? Parallel, serial,
> 	other?

Both.

> 2)  Can a common dot-matrix printer (e.g. Epson, Oki) be used?

yes.

> 3)  Are special device drivers needed for each different kind of printer?

Provided with the operating system are something like 50 driver files.

> 4)  Is a dot-matrix a reasonable choice for "hobbyist" use, or must a
> 	more exotic technology be chosen?

A good dot-matrix is OK. Color ink-jet printers are great if you have the
bucks.

> 5)  Are Commodore-branded printers available and recommended? [based
> 	on experiences w/ other manufacturers, I'd guess "no".]

No.

> 6)  What did I forget to ask?

"Would anyone else like a Christmas present" :->
---
		    Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		     Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	          Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn busines#!rne

From arpa!RELAY.CS.NET!tekig4.len.tek.com!billh Thu Dec 15 09:52:40 PST 1988
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 88 09:52:40 PST
From: William Hansen <billh%tekig4.len.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: daw%houxs.att.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga

I like the Sekosha printers, the one I have is a nine pin dot-matrix, but
it has great print quality, downloadable fonts, and 7 color printing. It
can be had for under $500 (check computer shopper mag). Oh, it has BOTH
serial and paralel ports.

					Bill Hansen