[comp.sys.amiga] Disk optimizer

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (12/07/88)

I would appreciate any comments from those of you who have tried the latest
commercial release of B.A.D. and/or Disk Mechanic.  I don't have a hard disk
yet, and I would like something to speed up my floppies, particularly DIR type
accesses.  B.A.D. is quite a bit less expensive than Disk Mechanic, but I want
whichever one works the best.  Any suggestions?
                                                Stuart Pierce

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (12/09/88)

In article <3624@crash.cts.com> spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) writes:
>I would appreciate any comments from those of you who have tried the latest
>commercial release of B.A.D. and/or Disk Mechanic.  I don't have a hard disk
>yet, and I would like something to speed up my floppies, particularly DIR type
>accesses.  B.A.D. is quite a bit less expensive than Disk Mechanic, but I want
>whichever one works the best.  Any suggestions?
>                                                Stuart Pierce

I would very much like to have a HD optimizer. Is there any such thing? Is it
possible at all? I guess you could make real $$$ with this.
Hey, those PC people have something we don't. We can't tolerate this! :-)
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Here's looking at you, kid!
		-- the Medusa

Dickson@pco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com (Paul Dickson) (12/18/88)

Why would anyone want to do a PC disk optimize on a multitasking
machine.  The two tend to be mutually exclusive.  On a multitasking
machine you would prefer to have the records scattered about on the
disk.  While on a PC, you want records that belong to a file gathered as
close together as possible.  My startup-sequence would run much faster
if the records were more scattered, it would cut down on some of the
disk thrashing with multiple tasks running.

          -Paul Dickson
             Dickson%pco @ BCO-Multics.HBI.Honeywell.COM