[comp.sys.amiga] CLIPS ON THE AMIGA

ISSYG%NUSVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Yves Goulnik) (12/06/88)

I read a message from Mark Jones on AILIST saying that CLIPS, an expert-
system 'shell' developped in C by NASA, was running on his/the Amiga. He
said it comes free, and with the source. He didnt say anything about
documentation though.

Does anyone know where/how to get a copy (I tried to send him mail but
it bounced back)

Yves Goulnik
     Advanced Technology Applications
              Institute of Systems Science
                        National University of Singapore
and
   Digital Equipment Corporation
           European AI Technology Group
                    Sophia-Antipolis/Valbonne, France

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/07/88)

If you can get the source, CLIPS compiles pretty cleanly on the Amiga,
at least under Aztec C.  Ross Miller (ross@sword.ulowell.edu) has done
a lot of CLIPS hacking, including an Amiga version and a parallel
version for the Hypercube.  When I told him about a disk at the Amiga
Developer's Conference that had a port of CLIPS on it, he was pretty
unhappy, saying CLIPS is a licensed package from NASA.

You might contact Ross for more info, although requests for source
will probably be tossed.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (12/07/88)

I believe NASA is happy to tell you how to get CLIPS. Of course if this guy
has already done the porting I'd say get in touch with him. Our experience
is that it's got a few gotchas that require a bit of work even to get it to
work on Xenix (286, though).
--
		    Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		     Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	          Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn busines#!rne

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (12/09/88)

In article <10526@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
->If you can get the source, CLIPS compiles pretty cleanly on the Amiga,
->at least under Aztec C.  Ross Miller (ross@sword.ulowell.edu) has done
->a lot of CLIPS hacking, including an Amiga version and a parallel
->version for the Hypercube.  When I told him about a disk at the Amiga
->Developer's Conference that had a port of CLIPS on it, he was pretty
->unhappy, saying CLIPS is a licensed package from NASA.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
->
->You might contact Ross for more info, although requests for source
->will probably be tossed.
->
->..Bob
->--
->Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
->Have five nice days.

I would be highly surprised if it is a licensed package.  The reason is
that unless a piece of software is CLASSIFIED or is considered SENSITIVE
(as it relates to national security), software developed at any governament
laboratory and supported by taxpayers money is automatically PUBLIC
DOMAIN.  Anything else is just hogwash!
--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

darin@taurus.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (12/14/88)

>I would be highly surprised if it is a licensed package.  The reason is
>that unless a piece of software is CLASSIFIED or is considered SENSITIVE
>(as it relates to national security), software developed at any governament
>laboratory and supported by taxpayers money is automatically PUBLIC
>DOMAIN.  Anything else is just hogwash!
>--
>					-+= SAM =+-
>				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

I don't have the docs with me, but I do recall there are some
restrictions; mainly, government and government contractors get it free,
all else pay minor fees (presumably shipping, etc. - I wouldn't want to
send out floppies to everyone who asks...).

Also, I did make a stab at porting it, but I didn't have that much luck.
I added Amiga specific routines (time, system, etc.) and everything
compiled nicely, but it didn't run quite right.  When I tested it with
the monkeys and banana program, it had oddball things like "The monkey
jumps off of the ceiling onto the box".  I haven't worked with it
further, since I didn't have any specific application in mind.

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	"It's true, the world's not perfect...  But we've submitted an SPR"

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (12/15/88)

Clip_in_C_Users_Journal = *"Dec/Jan 1988 Volume 7 issue 1"

Yesterday, I ran across a rather intriguing article in C Users Journal about
Gadgets.  The Author was Jim Fiore, and the program was called JustSayYes.c
For someone like myself who is learning how to program the Amiga, I enjoyed
this article.  He takes you through the process of building a color changer/
editor for a custom screen. You build 8 color selectors, 3 slider gadgets,
2 larger buttons, and an Amy 3000 in a pear tree.8^) The source code is
about 12 pages long but reasonably commented.

Now for a different question:

I am wondering if anyone has built a dial gadget/slider. You know, like
on a combination lock.  A common experiment in Psychophysics is to give
a subject a frequency generator with an unmarked dial/knob and have them
turn the knob until whatever it changes matches whatever they are receiving
as a stimulus.  In my case, I have been thinking of a frequency generator and
using the Amiga to generate Audio stimuli to do pitch matching experiments.
A slider wouldn't work as well
as a knob, since the slider has a left and right end that would provide the
subject with some sort of reference to his/her last pitch match.

Well, just a thought.
Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

mrr@amanpt1.zone1.com (Mark Rinfret) (12/18/88)

In article <1731@pur-phy>, murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) writes:

> Clip_in_C_Users_Journal = *"Dec/Jan 1988 Volume 7 issue 1"
>
> Yesterday, I ran across a rather intriguing article in C Users Journal about
> Gadgets.  The Author was Jim Fiore, and the program was called JustSayYes.c
>
> Now for a different question:
>
> I am wondering if anyone has built a dial gadget/slider. You know, like
> on a combination lock.  ...

There is a commercial package available, called "Inovatools", published by
Inovatronics, which contains lots of little Intuition goodies, including
knob and dial gadgets, "drag" gadgets (they dress funny :-) and a nice set
of Intuition support routines.  The package cost me $52 and I got it from
Briwall, a discount house in PA.  If you don't mind paying, you might want
to check it out.  Get PowerWindows while you're at it - it's excellent.

Mark

--
< Mark R. Rinfret,  mrr@amanpt1.ZONE1.COM | ...rayssd!galaxia!amanpt1!mrr    >
< HyperView Systems Corp.               Home: 401-846-7639                   >