[comp.sys.amiga] Two questions about "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

bier@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (George Bier) (12/20/88)

Despite misgivings I had heard on the net about it, I picked up "Who
Framed Roger Rabbit?" for the Amiga this weekend.  Unless the answers
to the following two questions are more positive then I think they will
be, the game is seriously unplayable:

1) After finishing a game, is there any way to restart the game without doing
a reboot?  I end up at a black workbench window and a tinkerbell mouse
pointer, but nothing else seems to work.

2) Does the game load any faster if installed on a hard-drive?  According
to the instructions, it is not copy protected (HURRAY!).  Is the game
anymore playable if one has a hard drive?  I have thought about acquiring
a hard-drive and this might be the impetus necessary to make me spend the money.

thanks
--george

ARPA:   bier@cs.wisc.edu
UUCP:   ...!{harvard,seismo,topaz,akgua,allegra,usbvax}!uwvax!bier

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (12/20/88)

In article <6900@spool.cs.wisc.edu> bier@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (George Bier) writes:

>Despite misgivings I had heard on the net about it, I picked up "Who
>Framed Roger Rabbit?" for the Amiga this weekend.  Unless the answers
>to the following two questions are more positive then I think they will
>be, the game is seriously unplayable:
>
>1) After finishing a game, is there any way to restart the game without doing
>a reboot?  I end up at a black workbench window and a tinkerbell mouse
>pointer, but nothing else seems to work.
>
>2) Does the game load any faster if installed on a hard-drive?  According
>to the instructions, it is not copy protected (HURRAY!).  Is the game
>anymore playable if one has a hard drive?  I have thought about acquiring
>a hard-drive and this might be the impetus necessary to make me spend the money

Answer 1) After it exits, try pressing left Amiga 'N' (or is it 'M')
to bring the workbench or cli back to the front, this works for me,
then you may re-execute the game.

Answer 2) Boy does it!!!  much better off the hard disk, just assign
'disk1' and 'disk2' to the roger rabbit directory, works great, but
if you have an extra 1.7 Megs of RAM ;) it works even better (faster)
out of RAM: or RAD:. I just set up an iconx icon/script to copy the
whole game out to RAM: and then execute it, and another icon/script to
merely re-execute it after it exits from the game. No problems so far,
except the damn pointer won't shut off, so I move it to the lower
right corner right after I click my re-execute icon.

+           Stan Fisher        uunet!unisoft!nud!teroach!stan
+ Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -  (602) 438-3228
+ "...no no, let's wait for the A5000, MC88000 based Amiga with 536 Million
+  colors and 2K square graphics resolution, Yeah, that's the ticket.."

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (12/20/88)

In article <6900@spool.cs.wisc.edu> bier@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (George Bier) writes:

>Despite misgivings I had heard on the net about it, I picked up "Who
>Framed Roger Rabbit?" for the Amiga this weekend.  Unless the answers
>to the following two questions are more positive then I think they will
>be, the game is seriously unplayable:
>
>1) After finishing a game, is there any way to restart the game without doing
>a reboot?  I end up at a black workbench window and a tinkerbell mouse
>pointer, but nothing else seems to work.

If you edit the startup-sequence on disk1, you can remove the second line
which is 'endcli'. Then, when the program terminates, you can rerun it from
the cli just by typing "rogerrabbit".
Alternatively, you can run the program from your own cli (don't boot with
RogerRabbit) so long as you set your stack large enough (it worked with
100K but that is probably overkill). You may also need to do a few assigns
(see below).

>2) Does the game load any faster if installed on a hard-drive?  According
>to the instructions, it is not copy protected (HURRAY!).  Is the game
>anymore playable if one has a hard drive?

Well I don't have a hard drive either (yet) so I copied all of disk1 to
ram:. I also had to do a bunch of assigns such as:
assign disk1: ram:
assign ins: ram:ins
assign voice: ram:voice
etc...
This sped things up because all the instruments, many of the voices, and the
program are on disk1. However, it still had to slowly load the images from
disk2. And yes, it will load faster on a hard drive. Hope this helps.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9229               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

me128-aw@kepler.Berkeley.EDU (me128 student) (12/20/88)

In article <6900@spool.cs.wisc.edu> bier@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (George Bier) writes:

>1) After finishing a game, is there any way to restart the game without doing
>a reboot?  I end up at a black workbench window and a tinkerbell mouse
>pointer, but nothing else seems to work.

To run it again, edit the startup-sequence on disk1 so it doesn't have the
Endcli.  After the end of the game, hit Amiga-N to bring back the CLI and
type "rogerrabbit."

>2) Does the game load any faster if installed on a hard-drive?  According
>to the instructions, it is not copy protected (HURRAY!).  Is the game
>anymore playable if one has a hard drive?  I have thought about acquiring
>a hard-drive and this might be the impetus necessary to make me spend the money.

It should run significantly faster, but some time is still taken by
decompression.  Better yet, it you have the ram, diskcopy one or both disks
to 80-cylinder Recoverable ramdisks.  This is much faster than a file copy
to ram:.  Of course, to make a second Rad: you need to copy the ramdrive.
device, filezap it, and stuff as posted here sometime ago.  I found that
this makes an INCREDIBLE speed difference!

I have a question myself about the game.  How do you get past the 3?rd weasel
in the warehouse, you know, the one without invisibility pills nearby?  ARe
you supposed to make him laugh to death?  It doesn't seem to work!!!

-Vincent H. Lee

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (12/22/88)

In article <6900@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, bier@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (George Bier) writes:

> 1) After finishing a game, is there any way to restart the game without doing
> a reboot?  I end up at a black workbench window and a tinkerbell mouse
> pointer, but nothing else seems to work.

I don't think so.  But the game is easy enough that my 16 year
old always makes it to the last screen anyway.

> 2) Does the game load any faster if installed on a hard-drive?  According
> to the instructions, it is not copy protected (HURRAY!).  Is the game
> anymore playable if one has a hard drive?  I have thought about acquiring
> a hard-drive and this might be the impetus necessary to make me spend the money.

Yes, it loads faster, but after seeing the game a few times I
don't think I'm going to leave it on the Harddrive.  This does
solve your #1 problem above though.  Just reboot it.

I converted the Icon to a Project with Icontype and use an IconX
script to do the necessary ASSIGN to the Harddrive directory, then
run the program.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh