[comp.sys.amiga] More hard disk problems

cb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Beasley) (12/21/88)

Ssytem: A500, P.P. Subsystem 500, 2090A, ST157N.

Problems: I tried install a number of times.  It always halts somewhere
with no error message.  It just locks up.  First it stopped saying 'loading
driver'  NeXT time it got as far as asking if I had a SCSI drive.  Once
it got all the way to giving me a list of drives and asking some questions.
After verifying all the questions and answering yes to the confirmation
question I left for over ten minutes but when I came back it was just sitting
there with the drive light on.
Once or twice when I rebooted it accessed the hard drive, decided it was no
good to boot off of, and asked for wb.  (by the way, I do have 1.3 roms).
Most of the time now it tries to boot off of the hard drive and doesn't give
up.  I have to power it down and boot up while the drive is self testing.
Do I have to do a binddrivers to get prep to work?
What entries do I need in my mountlist?
Also, there is a jumper on the drive to turn on parity checking.  Should I
have parity checking or not?

Thanks & Happy holidays.
Chris

In article <oXfn3rh48k-0Q2GmZ8@andrew.cmu.edu> cb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Beasley) writes:

>System: A500, P.P. Subsystem 500, 2090A, ST157N.
>
>Problems: I tried install a number of times.  It always halts somewhere
>with no error message.  It just locks up.  First it stopped saying 'loading
>driver'  NeXT time it got as far as asking if I had a SCSI drive.  Once
>it got all the way to giving me a list of drives and asking some questions.
>After verifying all the questions and answering yes to the confirmation
>question I left for over ten minutes but when I came back it was just sitting
>there with the drive light on.

	A SCSI drive can take between 10 seconds and an hour or more to
format (prep), depending on drive and manufacturer.  In general, if the light is
on, let it continue.  You probably rebooted while it was still formatting,
and prep never got a chance to write out the boot & first partition data.
Try a "mount res2:", followed by "prep res2:".  There should be an entry for
res2: in your mountlist, of not look at the samples on the A2090 disk for it
and modify as needed (heads and sectors).

>Once or twice when I rebooted it accessed the hard drive, decided it was no
>good to boot off of, and asked for wb.  (by the way, I do have 1.3 roms).

	Put a floppy in, and hopefully it will boot off it. (though it will
still try to mount the HD at boot time.)

>Most of the time now it tries to boot off of the hard drive and doesn't give
>up.  I have to power it down and boot up while the drive is self testing.
>Do I have to do a binddrivers to get prep to work?

	Not if it auto-configured, it being an A2090A and you having 1.3
KS roms.  Can't hurt, though.  BTW, you should ALWAYS have binddrivers in
your startup-sequence, preferably near the beginning.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup