[comp.sys.amiga] Query. B2000?

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) (12/21/88)

In article <Dec.18.20.41.17.1988.3235@topaz.rutgers.edu> armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:
>Would someone please tell me what on Earth a B2000 is??
>				  	    ???
>-GEA

	Certainly.  Most simply, a B2000 is a later production Amiga 2000.
An earlier model of the Amiga 2000, called the A2000, was very little more
than a repackaged A1000 with Kickstart ROM, a CPU slot, and ZorroII and IBM
slots.  The B2000 added the RT clock, video slot, improved CPU slot, BUSTER
chip, heftier power supply, and some other design changes.  As far as I know
only the early Amiga 2000's were A2000's while the vast majority are B2000's
(as the current production models are.)  I believe that the A2000 is the
German design while the B2000 is the US design.  Software-wise, they are
identical to each other as they are identical to the A1000.
    This is off the top of my head, so really a C-A person should verify all
this.

Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

In <268@sed170.HAC.COM>, lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee ) writes:
> 	Certainly.  Most simply, a B2000 is a later production Amiga 2000.
> An earlier model of the Amiga 2000, called the A2000, was very little more
> than a repackaged A1000 with Kickstart ROM, a CPU slot, and ZorroII and IBM
> slots.

	This goes for both the A2000 and B2000

>  The B2000 added the RT clock, video slot, improved CPU slot, BUSTER

	The A2000 has a real time clock. It also has a video slot, but with only
one connector. This made for a fun installation of a flickerFixer, the rear
edge fingers look a bit like a spider walking on the IC of the motherboard now.
:-)

> chip, heftier power supply, and some other design changes.  As far as I know

	Don't know about the power supply. The other design changes were that tehy
went from a 4 layer motherboard in the A2000 to a 2 layer in the B2000. The
second 512K ($C00000) memory on the A2000 was plugged into the CPU slot, and
had permanent hardwired wait states, due to some tricky timings when accessing
Half-FAST memory 'externally'. The A2000 had no RCA jack for composite video.

> only the early Amiga 2000's were A2000's while the vast majority are B2000's
> (as the current production models are.)  I believe that the A2000 is the
> German design while the B2000 is the US design.  Software-wise, they are
> identical to each other as they are identical to the A1000.
>     This is off the top of my head, so really a C-A person should verify all
> this.

	You got most of it. I'm still glad I didn't wait until the B2000 came out,
even though I am now in need of a trade-in.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-