[comp.sys.amiga] Stevie editor

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (12/17/88)

[ Line eaters have been vanished for years! ]

  Ive been using with the editor 'Stevie' posted to the net a few days back
 and my first impressions are great. It supports the 'VI' features that I use
 most, and it seems to be very solid. (Compared to a commercial 'VI' like
 editor ;-)

  There is one thing however that I find to be a minor problem. It will not
 allow you to "run" it (IE: 1> run stevie). The error message returned is
 "stdin is not interactive ?!?!?!?".

  So has anyone gotten chance to look at the source (also posted to the net)
 and make the needed changes yet? Is anyone planning on doing it?

  For those who may be wondering why I run my editor, its a 2 part reason and
 heres both... In place of poping a newcli open when editing and compiling, I
 have a habit of running my editor. The second reson is that Amiga UUCP/UseNet
 runs (Execute) the editor used to enter mail or news articles.

 Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

  Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (12/19/88)

From article <5040.AA5040@heimat>, by sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein):
>   For those who may be wondering why I run my editor, its a 2 part reason and
>  heres both... In place of poping a newcli open when editing and compiling, I
>  have a habit of running my editor. The second reson is that Amiga UUCP/UseNet
>  runs (Execute) the editor used to enter mail or news articles.
>
>  Sneakers
>
>   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

  A couple of questions...do you find that using Amiga UUCP is much more
productive than using your terminal program and calling up to the mainframe
locally? That is what I do. But maybe that's because I dont have a 'real' setup
for UUCP. (i.e. one that is 'ready to roll')

  My amiga setup is large enough to use UUCP effectively (hard drive and
plenty of memory), but since I'm lazy and have too much to do (probably because
I'm lazy :), I havent worked much with UUCP to have it 'do it all' for me.
Do you think you could send me your 'setup' of UUCP so I could get using it
if it's that useful? I'm always looking for SOMETHING to increase my
productivity...  :-)

  The second question...is 'berks amiga bbs' running on BBS-PC software or
what?? I guess a more straightforward question...what bbs software are you
using?

Thanks,
Bob Wolff

=-=-=-=-= Insert Standard disclaimer here... =-=-=-=-=
wolff@medusa.cs.purdue.edu  OR  bobw@ei.ecn.purdue.edu

/********** MS-Dos? Me? No, you must be mistaken! ***********/

--

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! Mac? *************/

brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) (12/20/88)

In article <5040.AA5040@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>[ Line eaters have been vanished for years! ]
>
>  Ive been using with the editor 'Stevie' posted to the net a few days back
> and my first impressions are great. It supports the 'VI' features that I use
> most, and it seems to be very solid. (Compared to a commercial 'VI' like
> editor ;-)
>
>  There is one thing however that I find to be a minor problem. It will not
> allow you to "run" it (IE: 1> run stevie). The error message returned is
>  [stuff deleted]

I've noticed one additional problem; when I start up Stevie, it hangs until
I resize the window it is running in.  This is probably due to my morerow'ed
interlace WorkBench screen.  Additionally, I have a file of ~1MB size I
would like to edit but can't even though I start with nearly 2MB ram free;
it consumes all the free memory (fast and chip) & then gives up.  Ok, so
that was two problems.  Otherwise I like this editor very much & hope some
one will fix these minor annoyances.

> Sneakers

-Gary Brant	ARPA: brant@uf.msc.umn.edu

#include <std/disclaimer.h>

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (12/20/88)

In article <5040.AA5040@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>[ Line eaters have been vanished for years! ]
>
>  Ive been using with the editor 'Stevie' posted to the net a few days back
> and my first impressions are great. It supports the 'VI' features that I use
> most, and it seems to be very solid. (Compared to a commercial 'VI' like
> editor ;-)
>
>  There is one thing however that I find to be a minor problem. It will not
> allow you to "run" it (IE: 1> run stevie). The error message returned is
> "stdin is not interactive ?!?!?!?".

I've noticed that as well, and I'll look at it right after the Christmass
holiday. If someone else fixes this first, great :-)

>  For those who may be wondering why I run my editor, its a 2 part reason and
> heres both... In place of poping a newcli open when editing and compiling, I
> have a habit of running my editor. The second reson is that Amiga UUCP/UseNet
> runs (Execute) the editor used to enter mail or news articles.

That's where I noticed it as well.

On a unrelated topic, has anyone written a News reader (like rn
perhaps) yet for Amiga UUCP/Usenet ? Someone I know has written something
similar for an Xenix box and I'm thinking of moving it over, but I'd like
to avoid doing something someone else has already done.

	fred

grwalter@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca                  (Canadian domain)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu                  (US Internet, including CSNET)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.cdn                  (CDNnet and some European nets)
watmath!watcgl!grwalter                       (UUCP)
uunet!watmath!watcgl!grwalter                 (another UUCP alternative)
grwalter%watcgl.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa (ARPA)

mlelstv@faui45.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (12/20/88)

In article <5040.AA5040@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>  Ive been using with the editor 'Stevie' posted to the net a few days back
> and my first impressions are great. It supports the 'VI' features that I use
> most, and it seems to be very solid. (Compared to a commercial 'VI' like
> editor ;-)
I got some problems with the UNDO command, sometimes it trashes the text.

>  There is one thing however that I find to be a minor problem. It will not
> allow you to "run" it (IE: 1> run stevie). The error message returned is
> "stdin is not interactive ?!?!?!?".
That's simple. It calls IsInterActive() to verify that any input can
reach stdin. And a RUNned program has some difficulties to get input
since the CLI process will get its input from there too.

I've got stevie last week and I will try to improve some things on the
input side. This will include the ability to RUN it and to work on
the serial port (for remote CLIs), although this is done via an
Aux-handler that simulates an ANSI-Terminal (I'd like to implement
sth like termcap).
--
BTW, stevie is rather slow when doing inserts. I think this because
on every character entered the whole screen is updated. Maybe someone

Merry Chrismas.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!faui44!mlelstv

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom MKT) (12/20/88)

In article <10499@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) writes:
$In article <5040.AA5040@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
$>  Ive been using with the editor 'Stevie' posted to the net a few days back
$> and my first impressions are great.

Mine are not.

$> It supports the 'VI' features that I use
$> most, and it seems to be very solid. (Compared to a commercial 'VI' like
$> editor ;-)

It does not seem as solid as a commercial vi or 'z' for that matter.  For
example, I deleted to the end ('D') a line that wrapped, but it did not pull
up the lines below.

But this I could forgive if it wasn't so ABYSMALLY SLOW.  I'm fairly fast at
the keyboard, but this thing can only seem to insert 3 or 4 characters per
second!  And no, I am not running any other "active" tasks (there are other
programs loaded, but they're not doing anything).

$>  There is one thing however that I find to be a minor problem. It will not
$> allow you to "run" it (IE: 1> run stevie). The error message returned is
$>  [stuff deleted]

I find this reasonable, since running a program doesn't give it any stdio.
It COULD be smart enough to handle this and open its own window, but that
would be an Amiga specific mod.

$I've noticed one additional problem; when I start up Stevie, it hangs until
$I resize the window it is running in.  This is probably due to my morerow'ed
$interlace WorkBench screen.

Probably.  I do not experience this problem.

$Additionally, I have a file of ~1MB size I
$would like to edit but can't even though I start with nearly 2MB ram free;
$it consumes all the free memory (fast and chip) & then gives up.

This I can definitely believe.  If memory is allocated in lines, the
overhead will consume lots of additional RAM, e.g if overhead is 20% per line
(16 bytes for each 80 character line) then 1.2Mb would be required for the 1Mb
file, but in fact, much more will be required because few lines are 80 characters.
A blank line will have 1600% of overhead.

$Otherwise I like this editor very much & hope some one will fix these minor
$annoyances.

Yes, a pd vi that's fast w/ source and as full-featured as this one appears to
be would be great.  Until then, I stick to z, which is fast, fairly full-featured
(: commands need work to handle marks!!!) and small.

$> Sneakers
$-Gary Brant	ARPA: brant@uf.msc.umn.edu
$#include <std/disclaimer.h>

	Paul.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Manx, and this is not an endorsement of
their products by Commodore.  I'm just a vi nut.

In <7402@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:
>>  There is one thing however that I find to be a minor problem. It will not
>> allow you to "run" it (IE: 1> run stevie). The error message returned is
>> "stdin is not interactive ?!?!?!?".

>I've noticed that as well, and I'll look at it right after the Christmass
>holiday. If someone else fixes this first, great :-)

Well, it oughta be an interesting excercise to make it RUNnable, since it uses
the CLI it was started from, rather than its own window.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (12/22/88)

In Message <10499@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) writes:

>In article <5040.AA5040@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>[ Line eaters have been vanished for years! ]
>>
>>  Ive been using with the editor 'Stevie' posted to the net a few days back
>> and my first impressions are great. It supports the 'VI' features that I use
>> most, and it seems to be very solid. (Compared to a commercial 'VI' like
>> editor ;-)
>>
>>  There is one thing however that I find to be a minor problem. It will not
>> allow you to "run" it (IE: 1> run stevie). The error message returned is
>>  [stuff deleted]
>
>I've noticed one additional problem; when I start up Stevie, it hangs until
>I resize the window it is running in.  This is probably due to my morerow'ed
>interlace WorkBench screen.  Additionally, I have a file of ~1MB size I
>would like to edit but can't even though I start with nearly 2MB ram free;
>it consumes all the free memory (fast and chip) & then gives up.  Ok, so
>that was two problems.  Otherwise I like this editor very much & hope some
>one will fix these minor annoyances.

  I use a morerow'ed workbench (30 xtra in both directions) and have a no
  problem with it hanging the cli. Ive never tried to edit a file ~1/2 of
  my free ram space. But that sounds like it might be your problem.......

--

In Message <7402@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:

>In article <5040.AA5040@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>  For those who may be wondering why I run my editor, its a 2 part reason and
>> heres both... In place of poping a newcli open when editing and compiling, I
>> have a habit of running my editor. The second reson is that Amiga UUCP/UseNet
>> runs (Execute) the editor used to enter mail or news articles.
>
>That's where I noticed it as well.
>
>On a unrelated topic, has anyone written a News reader (like rn
>perhaps) yet for Amiga UUCP/Usenet ? Someone I know has written something
>similar for an Xenix box and I'm thinking of moving it over, but I'd like
>to avoid doing something someone else has already done.

   I have a new version of Amiga UUCP/UseNet in testing right now. It
   includes a Unix styled news reader, 99% of the hardcoded paths have been
   removed, additional error protection and a error file have been added,
   plus much more !!!

   Watch for a release announcment sometime in early 89 (like week #1).

--

brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) (12/23/88)

In article <5144.AA5144@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>In Message <10499@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, brant@uf.msc.umn.edu (Gary Brant) writes:
>
>>In article <5040.AA5040@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
  [ ... ]
>>I've noticed one additional problem; when I start up Stevie, it hangs until
>>I resize the window it is running in.  This is probably due to my morerow'ed
>>interlace WorkBench screen.  Additionally, I have a file of ~1MB size I
   [ ... ]
>  I use a morerow'ed workbench (30 xtra in both directions) and have a no
>  problem with it hanging the cli. Ive never tried to edit a file ~1/2 of
>  my free ram space. But that sounds like it might be your problem.......
   [ ... ]

This was actually two different problems; it always hangs, even when editing
small files.  My WorkBench screen is 664x416, just big enough for 2 24-line,
80-column windows.  When I start up Stevie in either window, it just hangs
there.