[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench1.3 - Resident Bug?

romans@midas.TEK.COM (Roman Slizynski) (12/22/88)

 I have tried a Resident command many times and even after a long session
 during which I've been using several different resident programs the
 UseCount always shows  0.

 There is no doubt that resident programs were used.

 Any suggestions, bug reports ?

 Roman Slizynski
 romans.midas.STS.TEK.COM

msiskin@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (12/22/88)

In article <3797@midas.TEK.COM> romans@midas (Roman Slizynski) writes:

> I have tried a Resident command many times and even after a long session
> during which I've been using several different resident programs the
> UseCount always shows  0.

The use cout is the number of times that command is currently being used.
Try running a couple other CLI's with the same command and see the numbers
change.  Note that Resident is always listed as being run once.

         Marc Siskin

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (12/23/88)

In article <3797@midas.TEK.COM> romans@midas (Roman Slizynski) writes:

> I have tried a Resident command many times and even after a long session
> during which I've been using several different resident programs the
> UseCount always shows  0.
>
> There is no doubt that resident programs were used.
>
> Any suggestions, bug reports ?

The usecount reflects the number of CURRENT uses of the command, not the
total number of usages since the command was made resident.  Try typing
'run residentcmd' and then type 'resident' while the first command is still
executing.  You should see that the usecount has bumped to 1.  Usecount is
really only used by the remove option of resident.  A command cannot be
removed from the resident list if its usecount != 0.  ie. it's in use.

	Steve

kudla@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (12/23/88)

In article <3797@midas.TEK.COM> romans@midas (Roman Slizynski) writes:
> I have tried a Resident command many times and even after a long session
> during which I've been using several different resident programs the
> UseCount always shows  0.
I had the same misconception you did..... but the UseCnt isn't meant to
tell you how many times a program has been run resident... it's how many times
the program is currently being run.

   -----------Robert J. Kudla - Ex-Pseudo-Freshman Extraordinaire-----------
       //  Don't surround yourself         \             Itt@RPITSMTS.BITNET
   \\ //                with yourself....   \     USERFW3S%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu