[comp.sys.amiga] Games for Christmas?

eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) (12/15/88)

I'm looking forward to getting an Amiga 500 for Christmas, and would
like to know, which games are the best playing.  Please tell me which
to avoid.  I remember hearing about one called "Popman", Is it out?
I'm looking for Action!, Excitement!, Full Amiga Support- not just a rewrite.
I've heard Emerald Mines is excellent.
Looking Forward to your replys....

--
Ed Berger						eberger@cpwpsca.bitnet
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center		..!uunet!godot.psc.edu!eberger

owen@euclid.dec.com (In a Locst wind coms a RATTLE AND HUM) (12/21/88)

    Try:

    Firepower-great game at a small price

    Emerald Mine-Action game that needs some strategy

    Test Drive-Sound and Animation are excellent. Drive a Ferrari,
    		Lamborghini, Corvette, Porsche, or a Lotus.

    Capone-Great "shoot em up" game.  Kill the gangsters before they
    		Kill you.

    have fun with your A500!  But don't limit yourself to games...

    Steve O

eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) (12/22/88)

In article <8812211459.AA24572@decwrl.dec.com> owen@euclid.dec.com (In a Locst wind coms a RATTLE AND HUM) writes:

>    have fun with your A500!  But don't limit yourself to games...

I would like to not limit myself to games, but, My local dealers don't seem
to have AmigaTeX, AREXX, or Absoft FORTRAN, in stock.

I guess they sold out of "the good stuff".....

'Ed
--

me128-aw@kepler.Berkeley.EDU (me128 student) (12/24/88)

In article <526@godot.psc.edu> eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) writes:
>I'm looking forward to getting an Amiga 500 for Christmas, and would
>like to know, which games are the best playing.  Please tell me which
>to avoid.  I remember hearing about one called "Popman", Is it out?
>I'm looking for Action!, Excitement!, Full Amiga Support- not just a rewrite.

Sure, I have a few ideas for games:

1) Stellaryx.  It's hard to find, has obnoxious look-up protection, but
   I think is really worth a look.  This is one those asteroids-type
   games but MUCH more sophisticated and controllable.  [Warning!  I have
   a SERIOUS bias on this one]

2) Emerald mines is good.  The graphics are the best possible for this type
   of game, and there is a good balance of variety, strategy, and arcade
   action.  You have to play this one for a few levels before you begin
   to see the variety in levels.

3) Skychase.  Fast one-on-one game.  Really good for parties.

4) Falcon/F18  Both good flight-combat games.  Falcon is more realistic, and
   has modem play, but F18 is more controllable.

5) Rocket Ranger.  You either love or hate this one.  I am of the former.
   The most entertaining and playable of the "movie"-ware games.

6) Arkanoid.  Just like the arcade.

7) Sidewinder.  Everything blows up. I like that.  An autofiring joystick
   is a blessing for this one.

Hope this gives you some ideas

-Vincent H. Lee