[comp.sys.amiga] Serial cards

bennete@romana.cs.orst.edu (Erik J. Bennett) (12/13/88)

Is anyone making serial cards for the Amiga?  I've seen none.  Why is
that?  Is there something funny about the amiga that makes this difficult?

How tough would it be for a guy (or girl) to make his own?  I don't
know squat about electrical engineering, so I hope it wouldn't be too
tough.  If people can design PD 68020 boards, why can there not be
PD serial cards?

If I am being silly, send a message via mail, so I don't look as stupid.:-)

-Erik
bennete@romana.cs.orst.edu

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (12/14/88)

In article <7858@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> bennete@romana.cs.orst.edu (Erik J. Bennett) writes:
>Is anyone making serial cards for the Amiga?  I've seen none.  Why is
>that?  Is there something funny about the amiga that makes this difficult?

I have been waiting for a serial card for Amiga since 1985. I have heard talk,
but no more. The lack of extra serial ports has been, for me, the greatest
single disappointment with the Amiga, especially considering it's multi -
tasking operating system. Commodore; I think you should be selling a comm
card, 2 ports would be nice, with standard device drivers which allow the
user to run multiple comm programs.

Please note - I am not advocating multi-user here, even without considering
multi user there are plenty of reasons for needing a 2nd (at least) port.
For example: suppose I want to run a midi device while doing a download?

I admit that the comm and music software will have to be improved also, but
how can they even begin without standard serial devices to talk to? I suppose
the market for comm cards is deemed to be too small. I want everyone to know,
there is at least one customer out here (me) ready to put down hard cash at
my local computer store for a serial card which I can use to run a 2nd comm
program on.

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company      POTS:408-922-7508

cg@myrias.UUCP (Chris Gray) (12/15/88)

Mark me down as someone who would be interested in a couple of extra serial
ports for my A2000. Over a year ago I was in contact with a retailer in
Rhode Island (hi!) who was playing around with trying to get Amiga Empire
to run over separate serial devices. He had an early version of a serial
line multiplexor that had Amiga software with it. I don't remember the name
of the manufacturer (it's been a while), but I think they were in Canada
somewhere.

Personally, I'm QUITE interested in multi-player games, and would love to
be able to do it on my Amiga, instead of having to port everything (Draco
compiler, game, etc.) to the Sun network here.

--
Chris Gray		Myrias Research, Edmonton	+1 403 428 1616
	{uunet!mnetor,ubc-vision,watmath,vax135}!alberta!myrias!cg

dhines@utastro.UUCP (Dean Hines) (12/15/88)

In article <304@antares.UUCP>, pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
> In article <7858@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> bennete@romana.cs.orst.edu (Erik J. Bennett) writes:
> >Is anyone making serial cards for the Amiga?  I've seen none.  Why is
> >that?  Is there something funny about the amiga that makes this difficult?

[Many good comments deleted]

> I want everyone to know,
> there is at least one customer out here (me) ready to put down hard cash at
> my local computer store for a serial card which I can use to run a 2nd comm
> program on.
>

> >-Erik
> >bennete@romana.cs.orst.edu
> --
> Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)
> Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company      POTS:408-922-7508
> UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!pnelson   LRV: Component Station

Well that makes three of us. It would be very nice to be able to use
the existing serial port for a modem link and have an extra port for
controlling some other device (CCD camera, stepping motors, etc).
I've got a Bridgeboard and I had considered getting a serial card for
it, but I'd rather have one on the Amiga side, or maybe both 8-)

| Dean Hines                       Disclaimer: What? disclaim? Me?  |
| Astronomy                                                         |
| University of Texas               "Always store beer in a dark    |
| dhines@astro.as.utexas.edu          place."                       |
| dhines@utastro.UUCP                         Lazarus Long          |

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (12/15/88)

In article <304@antares.UUCP> pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
> Commodore; I think you should be selling a comm
>card, 2 ports would be nice, with standard device drivers which allow the
>user to run multiple comm programs.
>
>Please note - I am not advocating multi-user here, even without considering
>multi user there are plenty of reasons for needing a 2nd (at least) port.
>For example: suppose I want to run a midi device while doing a download?

My hardware wishes: an expansion card with 2 serial ports and a midi port,
with FIFOs and on-board intelligence so that 31 kbaud midi and 38.4 baud
RS232 won't loose data even when the 68K does Forbid(), Disble(), etc.

My software wishes: The ability to drive all 3 of my printers, simultaneously,
from different tasks.  And something like:

	SetDev COM: = SER0:DNET/38400baud	(modem to Unix server)
	SetDev PRT0: = PAR:Xerox-4020		(color printer)
	SetDev PRT1: = SER1:LA50/4800baud	(dot matrix, draft qual)
	SetDev PRT2: = SER2:AJ830/300baud	(daisy wheel, letter qual)
	SetDev MIDI: = SER3:MIDI/31250baud	(music instrument)
	SetDev PRT: = PRT0:			(default for older programs)
	SetDev SER: = SER1:			(default for older programs)

The last two lines are so that programs that don't know about multiple
printers/serial-ports can go to other than device 0.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET:(Real Soon Now)   Amiga Hacker   PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (12/16/88)

ASDG's Twin-X is out now.  The Twin-X basically turns one A2000 slot
into two IEEE-959 slots.  ASDG sells at least two boards which can
go into that slot, one of which is a two-serial-port board with
associated software.  (The other is an IEEE-488 interface.)

I have no connection with ASDG other than as an owner of FaccII and VD0:
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (12/16/88)

I too, would LOVE to see a serial card for the A1000! I would buy one in a
microsecond!! :> :>  I have heard of a couple developers working on such
beasts, but only for the A2000! Please, guys... Don't forget about the
TRUE Amiga fans who were with ya from THE start!

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

Ron.Bean@circle.UUCP (Ron Bean) (12/26/88)

   After all this time, I can't believe you guys still have to beg

for extra serial ports.

   If you hadn't noticed, the hardware already exists-- just add
software. A while back (maybe last year) Steve Ciarcia designed a
printer buffer, which consists of a Hitachi Z80 with two built-in
serial ports, plus couple of parallel ports, some RAM, and an
EPROM. You can buy it from Micromint, either complete or as a
kit. If you'd rather have an SCSI device, it has the same bus
connector as his SB180 computer, so you can use his SCSI board.
When the article appeared, I thought "aha, there's the extra
serial ports for the ST and Amiga". But apparently nobody read
my mind and took the hint.

   So all ya gotta do is, a couple of you get together and agree
on a protocol, then one go off and write the device drivers for
the Amiga, and the other go and write a new EPROM for the Z80.

--
Ron Bean - via FidoNet node 1:121/1
UUCP: ...!uwvax!geowhiz!circle!Ron.Bean