[comp.sys.amiga] URGENT hard disk questions.

mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) (12/17/88)

Could some one tell me what the appropriate Blocks per track and Surfaces and
Interleave numbers are for a ST277N SCSI drive.

and for an st157N SCSI drive.

AND...

what does it mean when it says, halfway through a format,
"format failed, can't open device."  (which is patently untrue, since it
already has to format the other tracks on the partition), and why should this
happen at different cylinders at different trys.)

PLEASE, I need to know this stuff as soon as possible.

email mjw@cs.cmu.edu

Thanks

--
Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu mjw@cs.cmu.edu                          \
US Mail: Michael Witbrock/ Dept of Computer Science                  \

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/19/88)

In article <3885@pt.cs.cmu.edu> mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
>Could some one tell me what the appropriate Blocks per track and Surfaces and
>Interleave numbers are for a ST277N SCSI drive.

The ST277N contains 126790 usable blocks.  I have mine set up as 5 heads,
31 sectors/track, 818 cylinders.  These numbers ARE NOT the actual
geometry, but the allow you to get to every single usable block.

-Fred

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (12/19/88)

In article <3885@pt.cs.cmu.edu> mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
>Could some one tell me what the appropriate Blocks per track and Surfaces and
>Interleave numbers are for a ST277N SCSI drive.
>
>and for an st157N SCSI drive.
>
>AND...
>
>what does it mean when it says, halfway through a format,
>"format failed, can't open device."  (which is patently untrue, since it
>already has to format the other tracks on the partition), and why should this
>happen at different cylinders at different trys.)
>
>PLEASE, I need to know this stuff as soon as possible.

Email from here ain't reliable so ...

817 cylinders. THere are 26 sectors per track and 6 heads per
cylinder. But one sector per cylinder is reserved so it is
best to tell AmigaDOS that you have one surface and 155 blocks
per track and 817 as highcyl for the last partition.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

In article <9800@gryphon.COM> jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) writes:
>In article <3885@pt.cs.cmu.edu> mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
>>Could some one tell me what the appropriate Blocks per track and Surfaces and
>>Interleave numbers are for a ST277N SCSI drive.
>>what does it mean when it says, halfway through a format,
>>"format failed, can't open device."  (which is patently untrue, since it
>>already has to format the other tracks on the partition), and why should this
>>happen at different cylinders at different trys.)

	Are you sure it didn't say "can't open handler"?

>817 cylinders. THere are 26 sectors per track and 6 heads per
>cylinder. But one sector per cylinder is reserved so it is
>best to tell AmigaDOS that you have one surface and 155 blocks
>per track and 817 as highcyl for the last partition.

	I'd use Fred Fish's numbers if you have an A2090 or A2090A.  The
current driver for those can't handle more than, I think, 63 sectors per
track.  Fred's numbers let you use every sector of the drive.

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (12/25/88)

In article <5526@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:

> In article <9800@gryphon.COM> jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) writes:
> >In article <3885@pt.cs.cmu.edu> mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
> >>Could some one tell me what the appropriate Blocks per track and Surfaces and
> >>Interleave numbers are for a ST277N SCSI drive.
> >>what does it mean when it says, halfway through a format,
> >>"format failed, can't open device."  (which is patently untrue, since it
> >>already has to format the other tracks on the partition), and why should this
> >>happen at different cylinders at different trys.)
>
> 	Are you sure it didn't say "can't open handler"?

No, I've seen that error when I first got my GVP 2000/2-0.  The
problem was that I couldn't re-prep the drive without giving an UNPREP
command first.  Otherwise I would get that error.  Strange?  Yes.  How
did I give that UNPREP command?  I don't remember.  I think it was

1> prep {some options} UNPREP

How did I find this?  Well, it only took about an hour to search out
all their scripts to find where it was giving me that error.  Then I
think I actually found the executable that gave the error and I (get
this!) did a TYPE OPT H to see if there was any helpful text.  I think
I also did something like "PREP ?" to see all the possible options.
Of course, it wouldn't accept the ones I wanted to give it so I had to
play around a little.

Yes, I did check the manual and I couldn't find anything about
re-preping a drive.  Oh well.  Call me a fool.

(By the way, I absolutely love the GVP card.  Installation was a snap.
I litterally just clicked a XIcon scripts and it did all the work.  My
problem was that I wanted to muck-around :-)

Merry Christmas,
(Hey!  Look!  There's Santa!  ...and he's bringing me a copy of A-Talk III+!)
-Tom
--
   Tom Limoncelli   Drew University    Madison NJ    201-408-5389
       tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet          limonce@pilot.njin.net

ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (12/26/88)

I have a StarDrive scsi board inside my Microbotics
StarBoard II and an external 65meg Seagate ST277N scsi hard
drive.  I am seei,ng countless postings about the settings I
should be using in my devs:mountlist for Handler, Priority,
StackSize, Device, Unit, Flags, Surfaces, BlocksPerTrack,
Reserved, Interleave, LowCyl, HighCyl, Buffers, BufMemType,
FileSystem, DosType.  Rather than post another handful of
choices, who can tell us *WHAT* each of these do and how *I*
determine the "correct" values.  Which are determined by
your hardware?  Which can be varied by the user and which
*MUST* be set to a certain value?  Must a drive that has n
Surfaces have Surfaces set to n?  Or can this be configured
differently by the user?  As for the others....