[comp.sys.amiga] Hypertext on the Amiga.

brianop@salem1.UUCP (Brian McBee) (12/03/88)

Is anyone aware of any hypertext/hypermedia software available or in developement
for the Amiga?  Both PC and Mac users have this kind of software, and I'd
like to see something for the Amiga.  Anybody?

What the eye beholds           CI$: 72406.1363
And the heart covets           PLINK: Brianop
Let the hand boldly sieze!     UUCP: ...tektronix!tessi!agora!salem1!brianop

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (William A. Bralick) (12/15/88)

In article <0824.AA0824@salem1> brianop@salem1.UUCP (Brian McBee) writes:
>Is anyone aware of any hypertext/hypermedia software available or in
>developement for the Amiga?  Both PC and Mac users have this kind of
>software, and I'd like to see something for the Amiga.  Anybody?

I haven't seen any answers to the original posting on this message, so
I'd like to add my "voice" to this cry in the wilderness...Does anybody
have a line on a hypertext system for the Amiga, perhaps a "Knowledge
Pro" (tm) type system?  Perhaps there is a soon-to-be-comercially
available hypertext system that someone would like me to Beta-test?
Hmmm?  How about it?

Regards,

James_E_Gary@cup.portal.com (12/16/88)

I just saw this add in Dec. 1988 Amazing computing for 'Thinker',
described as hypertext for the Amiga. 'An outline processor and a
word processor and picture display with hypertext links to text and
applications' Introductory price $59.00 (until 4/89). Address:
Poor Person Software
3721 Starr King Circle
Palo Alto, CA 94306
(415) 493-7234

Not a review, just a small ad. Good luck. Post impressions if you
buy it.
-James

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (12/16/88)

Just thought that I would add.... In the latest issue of Amiga World there is
an Ad for a Hypertext type thingie for the Amiga.. I also know of atleast
two other "versions" in development now! The one will support postscript and
numerous other features.... But I can't say more than that right now! :>

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (12/17/88)

+-- wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (William A. Bralick) writes:
| In article <0824.AA0824@salem1> brianop@salem1.UUCP (Brian McBee) writes:
| >Is anyone aware of any hypertext/hypermedia software available or in
| >developement for the Amiga?  Both PC and Mac users have this kind of
|   Perhaps there is a soon-to-be-comercially
| available hypertext system that someone would like me to Beta-test?

Someone at a FAUG meeting was looking for people to evaluate a hypertext
system under development.  I don't remember what it was called, but the
brochure he carried had a cartoon of an aligator on it, I think.  It
appeared to be simply hypertext, not a generic media environment, nor a
programming environment like HyperCard.

Of course, I could be completely wrong...
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC		(shf@wso.Stanford.EDU)

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (12/17/88)

From article <782@afit-ab.arpa>, by wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (William A. Bralick):
> In article <0824.AA0824@salem1> brianop@salem1.UUCP (Brian McBee) writes:
>>Is anyone aware of any hypertext/hypermedia software available or in
>>developement for the Amiga?  Both PC and Mac users have this kind of
>>software, and I'd like to see something for the Amiga.  Anybody?
>>

> I haven't seen any answers to the original posting on this message, so
> I'd like to add my "voice" to this cry in the wilderness...Does anybody
> have a line on a hypertext system for the Amiga, perhaps a "Knowledge
> Pro" (tm) type system?  Perhaps there is a soon-to-be-comercially
> available hypertext system that someone would like me to Beta-test?
> Hmmm?  How about it?
>
> Regards,

	Yes there is. The initial version came out for the Amiga a
year before the HyperCard product came out of Apple. The new system is
really great, but still needs some work in the authoring department.
The original product name is "InfoMinder"; the new "InfoMinder+".

	The new version supports a wealth of new functionality on the
Amiga, it is multi-process, uses genlocked videodisc overlay and fully
utilizes the various medias' of the Amiga custom chips.

	The subsequent product will never come out, as the developer
that created it finally got fed up with Commodore and the drizzel of
the Amiga market. The product could never be sold for what it is worth
to the Amiga customer base, as they want it for free or next to free.
(also see ongoing converation about software piracy, and extrapolate
to understand the monetary support of the developer who created this
next-generation product).

	The product may eventually come out on hardware from another
company, although it was designed specifically for the Amiga. This
future market will be professionally based, rather than overwhelming
hackers and gamers.

-Jim Becker
ex-Amiga developer

brant@alberta.UUCP (Brant Coghlan) (12/17/88)

In article <782@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (William A. Bralick) writes:
>In article <0824.AA0824@salem1> brianop@salem1.UUCP (Brian McBee) writes:
>>Is anyone aware of any hypertext/hypermedia software available or in
>>developement for the Amiga?  Both PC and Mac users have this kind of
>>software, and I'd like to see something for the Amiga.  Anybody?
>>

>I haven't seen any answers to the original posting on this message, so

The December issue of Amazing Computing has an ad for a hypertext program
called Thinker.  I have no info about this product other than the company
who makes it:
		Poor Person Software
		3721 Starr King Circle
		Palo Alto, CA  94306
		(415) 493-7234
	If anyone has used Thinker or another hypertext program for the
Amiga, mail me your comments and I will summarize to the net if there is
interest.
-Brant
--
 Brant Coghlan	(career student)  (403) 487-3619     ...!alberta!brant
 Dept. of Comp. Science, 615 GSB, U of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (12/19/88)

In article <782@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (William A. Bralick)
writes:

> ....Does anybody
> have a line on a hypertext system for the Amiga, perhaps a "Knowledge
> Pro" (tm) type system?  Perhaps there is a soon-to-be-comercially
> available hypertext system that someone would like me to Beta-test?

The January 1989 issue of AmigaWorld has an ad, on page 124, for a
hypertext system called "Thinker."  Thinker costs $59 (until 4/89),
and is claimed to combine hypertext, word processing, and picture
displays.  The vendor's name is "Poor Person Software," Palo Alto,
California; (415)493-7234.

I know nothing about this product myself (beyond what was in the ad).

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (12/21/88)

Mr. Becker Writes........

[...]

  Jim, I am very sorry to hear that you are not pleased with the Amiga market.
However, I am rather tired of your constant bitching every chance you get.
If you don't care for the Amiga, why do you read this group?? This is not
intended to be a flame! I am just tired of this. Please let the Amiga users
AND DEVELOPERS who are enjoying the Amiga do so in peace! We are all working
hard to further the reach of the Amiga. Not everyone uses the Amiga as a
"Game Machine"!

	Thanks.....

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

P.S. Jim.... So I take it that Infominder+ will NOT be out? And what was the
Price of InfoMinder?? It sounds like something I could use!

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (12/29/88)

In article <12780@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>P.S. Jim.... So I take it that Infominder+ will NOT be out? And what was the
>Price of InfoMinder?? It sounds like something I could use!
InfoMinder was a neat product, but I think Jim is pushing it a little
too hard. What i saw could not hold a candle to HyperCard.
Unless the + version was much better, I wouldn't worry too much
about what you can't buy ...
   If you want to see a demo of InfoMinder, go get a look at the
Developer autodocs.
ron