[comp.sys.amiga] 68K Assembler Source

jeff@cpoint.UUCP (Jeffrey J. Griglack) (12/15/88)

I am looking for the source for a 68000 assembler written in C.
There is an assembler that is available on the Fred Fish disks, but
it does not include source.  I need to port it over to a home-brew
68000 machine and all I have for that is a C cross-compiler.  Also,
there is some (small) customization that I would like to do.  This
is for non-profit use only.  If anyone can help me, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Jeff Griglack

**************************
*  This space for rent.  *
**************************

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (12/17/88)

In article <1423@cpoint.UUCP>, jeff@cpoint.UUCP (Jeffrey J. Griglack) writes:

> I am looking for the source for a 68000 assembler written in C.
> There is an assembler that is available on the Fred Fish disks, but
> it does not include source.  I need to port it over to a home-brew
> 68000 machine and all I have for that is a C cross-compiler.  Also,
> there is some (small) customization that I would like to do.  This
> is for non-profit use only.  If anyone can help me, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jeff Griglack

Motorola runs a FREE bbs that has all kinds on neat source code on it. I
have downloaded the source to all the 8 bit assemblers, and even a
small C compiler for the 68hc11. I got all of these to compile perfectly
on the amiga, so now I am using my AMI as an engineering work station
to develope microcontroller software on! Anyway, they also have a
68000 assembler there, although I haven't downloaded it. It is a rather
large file, about 102K. Here is the line describing it from the BBS:

X68000  ARC    102912   05-09-87   DDJ PD MS-DOS 68K xasm w/ source

The 8 bit cross assemblers took very little work to port to the amiga,
mainly just hacking up the routine that looked for tabs and carriage
returns, and fixing it so that it looked for linefeeds as well.  I
would like to send my compiled binaries and fixed source to Bob
Page and Fred Fish, but I am not 100% positive that motorola would
think that was the best thing to do. The source has no explicit
notices saying that it is PD or not, and the board has nothing
on it that I saw saying it is OK to distribute this stuff. Is there
anyone on here from motorola that could comment on this?  I also got
the small C compiler to run on the amiga, it is pretty neat! I
would like to be able to contribute something to all this awesome
amiga stuff that I get here on usenet every day!
   The phone number for the motorola BBS is 1-512-440-3733. I have heard
that Motorola also has a BBS for their 56000 series DSP chip, does
anyone have the phone number to it? Hope this helps you out!

Thanks for any help that you may be able to give me on these questions!

   Greg Garner
   501-442-4847
                    USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (12/30/88)

In article <1423@cpoint.UUCP> jeff@cpoint.UUCP (Jeffrey J. Griglack) writes:
>I am looking for the source for a 68000 assembler written in C.
>There is an assembler that is available on the Fred Fish disks, but
>it does not include source.

I have just made available the amiga assembler that I use at home.  It is
"A68k" by Charlie Gibbs.  This program is NOT public domain, but it is
freely redistributable.  It is based on Brian Anderson's 68000
cross-assembler published in Dr. Dobb's Journal April through June of
1986.  Mr. Gibbs has made many enhancements, including macros and include
files, as well as making it produce AmigaDOS-format object files.

The distribution I have is version 1.2 of July 11, 1988.  To my knowledge
this is the most recent version.  If someone knows of a more recent
version, please point me at it and I will make it available.  I have used
this assembler rather extensively and it is very solid.  Previous versions
of A68k did have a few bugs, but they have all been eradicated.  The
distribution DOES include C source as well as a ready-made executable.

HOW TO GET IT:

It is packaged in a "zuu" file (a uuencoded zoo file) that is split into
three separate files named "A68k.zu1", "A68k.zu2", and "A68k.zu3".  Once
you have retrieved the files, simply cat (or "join") them together and
uudecode the result to get a zoo file.

It can be retrieved two different ways.  If you are on the Internet, you
can anonymous FTP to the host "titan.rice.edu" and retrieve the named
files from the "public" directory.  Regardless of where you are, you can
use the Rice archive server by mailing the following request to the
Internet address "archive-server@rice.edu" or the UUCP address
"...!rice!archive-server":

	send public A68k.zu1 A68k.zu2 A68k.zu3

(you'll have to figure out your own path to the Internet).  There are some
restrictions and potential problems with the archive server.  If your path
to Rice goes through a machine that places a restriction on the size of
messages, you will want to mail three separate requests, one for each file
(each file is under 57K).  It is also possible that some mailer between
you and Rice does something inappropriate or weird to the "From:" line.
If this is the case, you can add another line to the request of the form
"path address" where "address" is an appropriate return mail path FROM
RICE TO YOU.

Finally, if you want some more generic help about the Rice archive server,
you can mail the request "help" to the above address.  If you are having
serious problems getting these files, I might have the time to help you if
you ask me nicely.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University