[comp.sys.amiga] Memory & Hard drives

ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) (12/20/88)

I know this question has been asked a thousand times on the net, but I have
never seen the answers.  I don't get to read all the message very often so
please accept my apologies now.  Please reply via E-Mail so I am sure to
see it this time.

I am looking to add Memory and a hard drive to my 1000.  The only one that
will allow me to do both that I know of is the Starboard 2 with the SCSI
adaptor.  Are there any other ways to get both?  Also how about adding just
a SCSI interface, whats available to do that?

Thanks.......

                                              ____
                                              |_
                                              |  erg

US Mail: P.O. Box 2104, La Mesa CA,  92044
Voice: (619) 670-3161  Modem: (619) 670-1095
ARPA: crash!pnet01!ferg@nosc.mil              INET: ferg@pnet01.cts.com
PORTAL: ferg@cup.portal.com

                     -=[  In Stereo Where Available  ]=-

mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) (12/24/88)

In article <3638@crash.cts.com> ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) writes:

>I am looking to add Memory and a hard drive to my 1000.  The only one that
>will allow me to do both that I know of is the Starboard 2 with the SCSI

The Supra 4x4 SCSI interface accepts optional RAM boards that mount inside it.
I have been told that they no longer make those, but some may still be
available.  In my 1000 i have the Insider 1MEG expansion card, and the Supra
4x4 hanging off the side (i don't have any of the Supra 4x4 boards, though).
This combination seems to work very well.  They were pretty cheap too, about
$125 for the Supra from a local dealer, but i bought the insider back when
memory was much cheaper.

One question: Can anyone tell me why certain objects in Mindwalker (the orange
antibodies in the second part) and the public domain MissileDefense (the
satellites that fly by horizontally) smear along the whole height of the
screen?  I thought maybe they didn't like the RAM expansion, but running
NoFastMem before running the games didn't help (in fact, rebooting with
NoFastMem on the first line of the startup-sequence didn't help).  I don't run
FastMemFirst.  This is especially annoying in MindWalker, it actually hurts
your game.

-Michael Murphy
 mjm@manatee.cis.ufl.edu

In <19596@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) writes:
> One question: Can anyone tell me why certain objects in Mindwalker (the orange
> antibodies in the second part) and the public domain MissileDefense (the
> satellites that fly by horizontally) smear along the whole height of the
> screen?  I thought maybe they didn't like the RAM expansion, but running
> NoFastMem before running the games didn't help (in fact, rebooting with
> NoFastMem on the first line of the startup-sequence didn't help).  I don't run
> FastMemFirst.  This is especially annoying in MindWalker, it actually hurts
> your game.

	Use Preferences to move your screen to the right. The problem will
disappear.

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (12/30/88)

mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) writes:
> One question: Can anyone tell me why certain objects in Mindwalker (the orange
> antibodies in the second part) and the public domain MissileDefense (the
> satellites that fly by horizontally) smear along the whole height of the
> screen?  I thought maybe they didn't like the RAM expansion, but running
> NoFastMem before running the games didn't help (in fact, rebooting with
> NoFastMem on the first line of the startup-sequence didn't help).  I don't run
> FastMemFirst.  This is especially annoying in MindWalker, it actually hurts
> your game.
>
> -Michael Murphy
>  mjm@manatee.cis.ufl.edu

You're using MoreRows, right?

Overscan displays steal DMA cycles off the bus that normally go to the
sprite hardware.  That's why some objects in games look strange if you
are using an overscan Workbench.

				--M

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb

"I'm very sorry, Master, but that WAS the backup system" -- Slave