[comp.sys.amiga] ComputerWorld tidbit

Re: Multi-tasking won't work in less than 1MByte re: Gates' garbage ...

Hmmm, then was I dreaming when my Amigas operated (in 1985) with 256K RAM
before I installed the extra 256K (for 512KBytes, total) in the nosepieces of
the A1000s?

And the AT&T UNIXPC (aka 3B1 aka 7300) seems to function just fine, even
the small ones, running UNIX SVR2+ with just 512KByte RAM on the motherboard.

Has Gates been smoking some gunga butts or sumtin'?   :-)  :-)

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

johnf@light.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (12/14/88)

In article <12571@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Re: Multi-tasking won't work in less than 1MByte re: Gates' garbage ...
>
>Hmmm, then was I dreaming when my Amigas operated (in 1985) with 256K RAM
>before I installed the extra 256K (for 512KBytes, total) in the nosepieces of
>the A1000s?
>
>And the AT&T UNIXPC (aka 3B1 aka 7300) seems to function just fine, even
>the small ones, running UNIX SVR2+ with just 512KByte RAM on the motherboard.

Not to mention the PDP-11 which ran unix in, what, 64K?

>Has Gates been smoking some gunga butts or sumtin'?   :-)  :-)

Gotta wonder :-)

>Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

--John Flanagan
  johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu

smann@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann - I.S.er) (12/31/88)

In article <18255@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> johnf@light.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) writes:
>In article <12571@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>Re: Multi-tasking won't work in less than 1MByte re: Gates' garbage ...
>
>Not to mention the PDP-11 which ran unix in, what, 64K?
>
>>Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]
>
>--John Flanagan

Some old docs I have for version 7 (1978) UNIX@ list a minimum configuration
on a PDP-11/45 or PDP-11/70* to be:

	128K 16bit words (resident code 12-20K words, data 10-28K words.)
			 This is the very minimum, just enough to run and
			 maintain UNIX.

	RP03 (or other large drive)
	console typewriter
	clock

Didn't take much to please back then.

Also note that UNIX has gotten far more complex (meaning more memory needed)
in the intervening decade.

@ UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories
* PDP is a trademark of Digital Electronic Corporation
(-: SMANN is a trademark of Omni Intelligent Devices Inc. :-)

        -=-
-=- Shannon Mann -=- smann@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
        -=-

'I have no brain, and I must think...' - An Omynous
'If I don't think, AM I' - Another Omynous