[comp.sys.amiga] Non-working 2nd drive -- Part 2 !!

muzak@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Stephen F Felicetti) (01/02/89)

suspected "broken" pin on the disk drive connector, which turns out to be
just a polarity key (I finally removed the entire board to convince myself and,
sure enough, there's a blob of solder under the connector which leads nowhere,
and shows no evidence of a pin ever having been there)!

Unfortunately, my 2nd drive still won't work properly -- let me rephrase that --it WORKS properly ALONE (if connected as though I had only ONE drive), but
it DOES NOT WORK when connected in conjunction with the other drive.  In other
words, both DRIVES are fine, but the computer seems to get confused when both
are connected simultaneously (yes, I DID connect the jumper indicating a
two-drive system).

Here's what happens -------------------->   I get the workbench prompt and
both drives click.  I insert a disk in either drive.  Nothing happens, drives
continue clicking and the drive with the inserted disk doesn't recognize the
disk.  Then I insert a SECOND disk into the other drive.  Both drive lights
go on and the drives start spinning for a few seconds (one of the drive lights
flashes -- the one on the drive connected to the connector in the middle of
the ribbon cable, not the drive connected to the end of the cable).  Both
drives STOP spinning, the drives lights go out, and the workbench prompt
reappears.

Does anyone have ANY IDEAS as to what is happening here?  I tested every wire
in the ribbon cable at the connectors -- the cable's fine.  I also tested
the power connectors -- both drives seem to be getting the same amount of
power (about 15V on each of the blue wires, and around 10V, I think, on
the yellow wire)  I assume there's a reason for the two reversed wires
in the ribbon cable on the end connector (the one that's connected to the
single drive that came with the computer).  Also, if I connect a second
drive EXTERNALLY, everything works fine!

Thanks in advance....

                          -- Steve (still confused) Felicetti

wilso_d@xanth.cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson) (01/03/89)

In a recent article, muzak@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Stephen F Felicetti) writes:
> Unfortunately, my 2nd drive still won't work properly --
> let me rephrase that --it WORKS properly ALONE (if connected as though
> I had only ONE drive), but it DOES NOT WORK when connected in conjunction
> with the other drive.  In other
> words, both DRIVES are fine, but the computer seems to get confused when both
> are connected simultaneously (yes, I DID connect the jumper indicating a
> two-drive system).

Just a guess, but it worked for me:
I had the same problem when I added my 2nd drive.  I finally decided to
set the drive select pin on the new drive to drive #1 instead of drive #0.
If you look closely at the drive, there should be a jumper that might
say D0, D1, or something to that extent (at least on my drive, there was),
and it can be moved.  I've run into this problem before on other types
of computers, so it was just a hunch before I called the technical support
line... It worked.  It all amounts to having two drive 0's, and no
drive 1, so you just 'help out' by hardwiring a drive to force it to be
drive #1.

Try it... things can only get worse. <grin>

...dewitte

Sentari@cup.portal.com (Larry Sentari Files) (01/03/89)

Steve....

You need to check the 2nd Drive and move a Jumper near the back of drive on the
bottom. It's real easy to find. Just move it over one pin and you're in
business! Check to make sure it works before buttoning up your Amiga.

Larry