[comp.sys.amiga] Non-Disclosure Agreements and Rights to Invention

DEFRANCO@radc-tops20.arpa (Carl DeFranco) (01/02/89)

I'm not sure this discussion needs to be carried too far, but to clarify the
position of employers (not that I agree) who require such agreements, they
hold that any ideas developed by you while on their payroll, working in their
facilities, using their equipment and software, is THEIRS.  You may find that
this position has been supported by the courts over the years, whether or not
you agree.  The stumbling point has always been whether this claim can be
extended into your private life, i.e., if you develop some interesting
program/technique/algorithm in theprivacy of your home on your own computing
equipment, who owns it?  The generally accepted view is that IF you used
information developed at work in your private efforts, the company may have
a valid claim to your work, as long as they can demonstrate that the
information is: 1) proprietary and you knew it, and 2) that it is unlikely
that you would have developed that idea without access to compnay data.

Remember that ideas are not subject to copyright, only the recorded instance
of the idea.

Carl DeFranco
defranco@radc-tops20.arpa
-------

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (01/03/89)

In article <6185@louie.udel.EDU> DEFRANCO@radc-tops20.arpa (Carl DeFranco) writes:
>I'm not sure this discussion needs to be carried too far, but to clarify the
>position of employers (not that I agree) who require such agreements, they
>hold that any ideas developed by you while on their payroll, working in their
>facilities, using their equipment and software, is THEIRS.

This sounds fine, but...  What about using the equipment on your own
time?  Such as UNIX utilities/etc. which are difficult to do on your
Amy at home.  I ran into this snag awhile back.  I had written a program
for Suns in my own time (since I only get 10 hrs a week to manage Suns),
with the chance that I would use it if it ever became "usable".  It
turned out that lots of people wanted something just like that, so I
posted it to the net.  A little later, someone from Sun called and asked
if I would be willing to discuss rights to the program so that they
could include it in a product of theirs (they would support and improve
it, but it wouldn't add to the cost of the product it was included in).
So naturally, the first thing I did was talk to someone up in the big
office on how to do this, since at this point it dawned on me that
Lockheed probably owned the rights to it, but would be fair and
generous about it.  The first thing they had me do was to fill out a
public disclosure form, essentially giving me permission to post it in
the first place :-)  After that, Lockheed wanted to be sure that they
wouldn't be held liable, etc. from the software (I had explained that it
was next to nil that they could make any money off of it :-), and wanted
to see a sample of the license that would go with it, etc. etc.
Eventually, I gave up being the middleman, and gave the right phone
numbers to Sun and Lockheed to let them fight about it.  I assume it's
still up in the air at the moment.

So, was I wrong to post the program to USENET in the first place?  I
wonder how many of the things that come over comp.sources.unix have been
cleared by the company who owns the computer it was developed on (this
doesn't apply to academic sights probably).  Should Lockheed own the
rights to the program, even though they didn't pay me to write it?
(I did use company time to debug it after it was in use for awhile)
Come to think of it, how would I, with only an Amiga at home, write a
UNIX specific piece of software and be able to own it?  What about some
of the VMS programs I have written (which is what I really get paid to
do) on company time, which would be very useful to put into public
domain, but which Lockheed couldn't hope to sell (even if they did that
sort of thing)?

Of course, on the bright side, I can freely give away all my Amiga
source with out worrying about big brother!  (hmnn... can I give away
executables if I didn't get the 'developer' version of C?)

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	"You can't fight in here! This is the war room.."

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/03/89)

In article <395@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:

>This sounds fine, but...  What about using the equipment on your own
>time?  Such as UNIX utilities/etc. which are difficult to do on your
>Amy at home.  I ran into this snag awhile back.  I had written a program

My father in law is a lawyer.  When I have to sign one of this
non-disclosure things, I get him to look at it first. I had
to sign one when I worked at a division of Bell & Howell that
said ``any software AT ALL you write while employed at
Bell & Howell, even if you write it on your own machine on
your own time, belongs to Bell & Howell''

Now, it didn't come right out and say that, but it worded such
that that was the only possible conslusion. I crossed out that
part and signed it.  They took it.

It doesnt matter what you sign.  You have rights under the law,
(which vary greatly from state to state, right DBW ? :-) which
you DO NOT give up by signing something that appears to give your
rights away.

In this example, if I hadn't have crossed out that clause,
it wouldn't have stuck, because that would be illegal - in
california.

If you are serious about writing software for money, and you
write software for somebody else for a living, ESCPECIALLY
if want you want to write for yourself may be construed
as competative, you ned to talk to a lawyer.

What you read on the net is worth exactly what it costs you. Or
less.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. But I look like one.

--
Grade Lakes: The name applied to Lakes Spearyer, Urine, Mishigan, Eerie and
Untario. They form the largest body of polluted fresh water in the world.

richard@gryphon.COM {b'bone}!gryphon!richard  gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (01/03/89)

In article <395@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:
>In article <6185@louie.udel.EDU> DEFRANCO@radc-tops20.arpa (Carl DeFranco) writes:
>>I'm not sure this discussion needs to be carried too far, but to clarify the
>>position of employers (not that I agree) who require such agreements, they
>>hold that any ideas developed by you while on their payroll, working in their
>>facilities, using their equipment and software, is THEIRS.

The Intellectual Property agreements I've signed (with three different
employers) are more far-reaching than that. ANY idea the employee comes
up with, whether originated at home or at work, during work hours or not,
using company equipment or not, becomes the employer's property. A gracious
employer, of course, will grant the the employee the rights to his idea
if it is not related to company business.

>This sounds fine, but...  What about using the equipment on your own
>time?  Such as UNIX utilities/etc. which are difficult to do on your
>Amy at home.

Same thing; company property. In this case, the company clearly has a
legitimate right to the invention, as it would have been impossible
without their financial support.

>So, was I wrong to post the program to USENET in the first place?

Probably, yes, but your supervisor is the person to ask. Consider,
among other things, that your programming may have been influenced by
your experience with the company, and you might even have used some
coding technique that might be considered proprietary.  If your
product is handy enough that Sun wants to release it, it could be a
moneymaker for your company.

>doesn't apply to academic sights probably).  Should Lockheed own the
>rights to the program, even though they didn't pay me to write it?

They should have first choice.  You did, after all, use their facilities,
at their incurred expense.

>Of course, on the bright side, I can freely give away all my Amiga
>source with out worrying about big brother!  (hmnn... can I give away
>executables if I didn't get the 'developer' version of C?)

You may want to re-read your Intellectual Property Agreement; technically,
the Company may have rights to your Amiga sources, as well.

The only way to be safe is to be completely up-front with your supervisor
throughout the development process.  Some companies are more strict than
others; even using company equipment for non-work-related projects can be
an infraction against the company, and could technically cost you your
job.

------------------------------ valuable coupon -------------------------------
Bill Thacker						att!cbnews!wbt
	"C" combines the power of assembly language with the
	 flexibility of assembly language.
Disclaimer: Farg 'em if they can't take a joke !
------------------------------- clip and save --------------------------------

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/04/89)

In article <395@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:
>In article <6185@louie.udel.EDU> DEFRANCO@radc-tops20.arpa (Carl DeFranco) writes:
>>I'm not sure this discussion needs to be carried too far, but to clarify the
>>position of employers (not that I agree) who require such agreements, they
>>hold that any ideas developed by you while on their payroll, working in their
>>facilities, using their equipment and software, is THEIRS.

Suppose you use their telephone to make some money on the side. Are you
liable to them for all the money you made?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean