[comp.sys.amiga] Long Samples

doug@homxc.UUCP (D.SULPY) (12/27/88)

I read here last week that one of the sampling programs (I forget
the name) was able to digest several minutes worth of information.
Is it worth dreaming of a system, then, which could sample a poor
quality recording (say, a twenty year old radio performance), and
use the abilities of the Amiga to clean it up? Or eliminate
reverb (assuming the waves for reverb are simply smaller clones of
the parent wave), or isolate an instrument or voice, or remove
pops, clicks, and scratches from a record? I know some very expensive
systems will do this kind of thing (generally using the Mac).

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (12/29/88)

In article <4732@homxc.UUCP> you write:
>I read here last week that one of the sampling programs (I forget
>the name) was able to digest several minutes worth of information.
>Is it worth dreaming of a system, then, which could sample a poor
>quality recording (say, a twenty year old radio performance), and
>use the abilities of the Amiga to clean it up? Or eliminate

     The main problem with this idea is that the Amiga is limited to around
30,000 Hertz 8 bit samples.  This is not exactly Hi-Fi.  I would describe
it as "micro-cassette" quality.  Basically we are talking about sound
processing, as opposed to image processing.  You could do it on a theoretical
level with an Amiga, but not on the professional level.  The NeXT would be a
good system to use.  It has stereo 16 bit sound output, and a high-speed
signal processing chip.

     DAK sells a device that removes clicks and pops from records.  I have
seen other boxes that remove hiss.  A system like the NeXT could be
programmed to do all of this and more.  That would be pretty neat.  As for
the Amiga, well, we will have to see if the 3000 will offer true compact-
disc-quality sound.

						--Rob.

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(508) 452-5000 ex 2233

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (01/04/89)

In article <10955@swan.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
(Robert Silvers) writes:
>In article <4732@homxc.UUCP> you write:
>>I read here last week that one of the sampling programs (I forget
>>the name) was able to digest several minutes worth of information.
>>Is it worth dreaming of a system, then, which could sample a poor
>>quality recording (say, a twenty year old radio performance), and
>>use the abilities of the Amiga to clean it up? Or eliminate
>
>     The main problem with this idea is that the Amiga is limited to around
>30,000 Hertz 8 bit samples.  This is not exactly Hi-Fi.  I would describe
>it as "micro-cassette" quality.  Basically we are talking about sound
>processing, as opposed to image processing.  You could do it on a theoretical
>level with an Amiga, but not on the professional level.  The NeXT would be a
>good system to use.  It has stereo 16 bit sound output, and a high-speed
>signal processing chip.
>
>     DAK sells a device that removes clicks and pops from records.  I have
>seen other boxes that remove hiss.  A system like the NeXT could be
>programmed to do all of this and more.  That would be pretty neat.  As for
>the Amiga, well, we will have to see if the 3000 will offer true compact-
>disc-quality sound.

Be nice, Rob, and give the guy some real information!  Never
discourage someone who wants to hack.  Of course the current Amiga
sound hardware is limited in both speed and resolution but there is
still plenty of kick there.  Of course it won't be studio quality, but
it's still worth playing around with.  An excellent quality phone
connection uses a 64 Kbps digital data stream, i.e. 8000
samples/second and 8-bit samples.  It can, therefore, convey an analog
signal with a maximum frequency of 4000 Hz and a 48 dB signal to noise
ratio.  The amiga sound outputs are eight bits wide and the supplied
reconstruction filter cuts off around 7000 Hz; we can easily beat a
phone connection bandwidth-wise.  I understand you can disable the
filter on the 500/2000 and use an external one to take advantage of
the Amiga's 30,000 samples/sec capability.  Granted this would sound
horrible if you amplified it much (lots of quantization noise ==> hiss),
but is quite tolerable to just listen too.

As far as processing goes, the original poster wanted to get rid of
hiss, clicks, pops and reverberation.  Hiss can be taken care of to a
certain extent with filters, but you always lose some information by
getting rid of the hiss since they occupy the same portion of the
frequency spectrum.  For example, a high-pass filter will get rid of
much of the annoying stuff, but will also remove the high frequencies
that are part of the music.  Remember, though, that you will never be
able to do better than the 48 dB S/N ratio.  Clicks and pops can be
handled in the time domain (they're easy to see, you could edit them
out by hand if you wanted).  Reverberation is a little harder to get
at.  One technique I saw involves complex cepstrums (don't ask, it's
something hairy that has to do with homomorphic signal processing) and
is computationally expensive and only works for simple cases (one
echo).  Remember the Carruso (sp?)  recordings that were cleaned up
digitally and received so much press?  They used a technique called
blind deconvolution (more complex cepstrums) to get rid of some
distortion.  Other things that could be played with are FFTs: mess
around, do voice prints, speed up or slow down a recording without
modifying the pitch.  There are all kinds of fun things to do that are
easily within the reach of the Amiga if you can live with the
bandwidth, S/N ratio and not being able to do things in real time.
(And I maintain that these are easy to live with if you're not worried
about professional quality).

To get started you'll need an Amiga, a sampler and a good book on
digital signal processing (I have Oppenheim and Schafer).  Armed with
these and some knowledge of calculus and complex numbers you should be
up and hacking in no time.

If I had a decent sampler I'd probably do something myself.

========
Darren Leigh
Internet:  dleigh@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:      hplabs!dleigh