[comp.sys.amiga] Dragon's Lair - the second copy worked

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (12/29/88)

I returned my non-bootable copy of Dragon's Lair (the 6-disk ReadySoft
game based on the coin-op laserdisk game of the same name) back to
my dealer.  Before swapping it for a fresh copy I stuck disk one into
one of his A2000 demo machines and booted on it.  It worked. "Oh futz"
sez I "it didn't work on my A1000."  So I got a cheerful exchange
for a new copy and a promise I would get a refund if the second one
wouldn't load on my machine either."

Brought the new copy home, stuffed Disk 1 into DF0:, rebooted and
crossed my fingers.  It worked.  Must be some very twitchy copy
protection on this sucker.

Comments on the game now that I have a working copy:

-The animations are beautiful. The load times are agonizingly long (even
 with the built in fast loader) especially when you're just learning
 how to play the thing, keep failing, and have to start over again after
 your 3 lives are up.  Disk 2, the scene in the room with the green
 tentacled thing, sounds like it loads in over 60 tracks before that
 scene displays.

-The hi-res mode is beautiful. But I prefer to play in the lo-res mode
 because the sounds and music are great and they don't work in the hi-res
 mode

-As I conquer each successive scenario, it becomes easier to start over
 again and quickly work up to where I was when I lost my 3rd life. Timing
 is everything in this game. You pretty much have to be spot-on perfect
 with your jumping and slashing timing otherwise Dirk gets mangled.

-The game overwrites the KickStart WCS Ram on an A1000. After finishing
 a play session I cannot just reboot. I have to power off and reload
 KickStart to get back to my regular environment. This sucks.

From the "What I wish they had put in Dept"....

A Pause mode.
More lives. C'mon, doesn't the coin-op have 5 lives? not just 3?
It's gonna take me a LONG time to see those other disks' graphics.

Maybe I need to hire a 12 year old neighborhood arcade kid for an hour
or so to show me all the moves to this game. Just ONCE before I start
collecting Social Security I'd like to see it all the way through.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (01/04/89)

In article <10087@gryphon.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:

> ... Disk 2, the scene in the room with the green
> tentacled thing, sounds like it loads in over 60 tracks before that
> scene displays.

It takes about 25 seconds to load and about 15 seconds to play.

-scott