[comp.sys.amiga] Animations for 512k machines

armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) (01/02/89)

Hey! Let's see some animations that will run on only 512k! Are there
any out there? I'd also like to see any other kinds of demos that are good for
blowing away friends and family.
Thanks!!
-GEA

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (01/03/89)

In article <Jan.1.23.54.32.1989.1877@topaz.rutgers.edu> armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:

>Hey! Let's see some animations that will run on only 512k! Are there
>any out there? I'd also like to see any other kinds of demos that are good for
>blowing away friends and family.
>Thanks!!
>-GEA

I wish it were that easy!  It's pretty hard to make an interesting animation
run 512k.  The file size isn't really the big variable in making it run in
small memory, it's the resolution.  ANIM players have to allocate multiple
bitmaps to flip the frames.  So, for an ANIM to play in 512k, it has to
be Lores, and probably non-HAM.  Then you have to worry about the filesize.
Therefore you have to keep the motion minimized to the DLTA's are small.
With all these limitations, it's a pretty big challenge to make an interesting
animation.

BTW, there is an animation in the January AMNews that will run in 512k.
It's a lores version of Kahnankas (the swinging silver balls) that has
been rotoscoped.  My suggestion is: Get more memory!  You can play most
animations in 1 Meg, not to mention play all the new games.  Animation
is a big memory hog, there's no getting around that.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Wierd, the Wierd go Professional

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (01/04/89)

In article <Jan.1.23.54.32.1989.1877@topaz.rutgers.edu> armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:

>Hey! Let's see some animations that will run on only 512k! Are there
>any out there? I'd also like to see any other kinds of demos that are good for
>blowing away friends and family.

You want animations?  Order my picture disks.  Disks 1 and 2 have both been
available for some time now.  I'm going to build up 3 tonight, so look for
an announcement later this week.  It's going to have Kahnankas (sp?) and a
absolutely awesome digitized picture on it.  (Everyone who's seen it just
stares and says "Wow".)  I have enough material, so 4 and 5 should be out
in a week or two (I just need time to build it up.)

Disks are either $5 or a disk (preferrably with stuff on it for future disks)
and SASE (send either $5 -or- disk&SASE) sent to:

Joe Larson
6121 St. Croix Ave. N.
Golden Valley, Mn 55422.

----

I don't know if my stuff runs on 512K.  I've got a Meg.  But it looks like
there are people who want this, so I'll take my expansion out and try
everything I've got so far and will let people know if 512 is sufficient
on all future stuff.  -J
--
          When you fall on your head do you land on your feet?
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe   (Feed my      Dayton Hudson Department Store Company

u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) (01/04/89)

In article <1442@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
>armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) writes:
>>Hey! Let's see some animations that will run on only 512k!
>
>I wish it were that easy!  It's pretty hard to make an interesting animation
>run 512k. ...
>So, for an ANIM to play in 512k, it has to be Lores, and probably non-HAM.
>Then you have to worry about the filesize.  Therefore you have to keep the
>motion minimized to the DLTA's are small.  With all these limitations, it's
>a pretty big challenge to make an interesting animation.
>	-Ken Baer.

Difficult, yes.  Impossible, no.  Tychoid, my entry into the last Killer Demo
Contest actually runs in low-res HAM on a 512K system, and has *HUGE* DLTA's
because everything in the scene moves every frame.  I mashed 20 frames and
some sound into a vanilla A1000.  It should (theoretically) be on a Fred Fish
release RSN. :^)  If it isn't, I'm willing to try mailing it to anyone who
wants it, but it's about 370K, and might bounce off some mailers which don't
like big files.

/\/\ /|  |    /||| /\|       | John M. Olsen, 1547 Jamestown Drive  /\/\
\/\/ \|()|\|\_ |||.\/|/)@|\_ | Salt Lake City, UT  84121-2051       \/\/
/\/\  |  u-jmolse%ug@cs.utah.edu or ...!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse    /\/\
\/\/             "A full mailbox is a happy mailbox"                \/\/

In article <854@wasatch.UUCP> u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu.UUCP@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) writes:

>Difficult, yes.  Impossible, no.  Tychoid, my entry into the last Killer Demo
>Contest actually runs in low-res HAM on a 512K system, and has *HUGE* DLTA's
>because everything in the scene moves every frame.  I mashed 20 frames and
>some sound into a vanilla A1000.  It should (theoretically) be on a Fred Fish
>release RSN. :^)

Tychoid is going to appear on Pict3, my next picture disk (which will be
ready for mailing by the end of this week).  I realize this means that there
will be some duplication between my disks and Fred's, but it's a relatively
small amount -- shouldn't be a problem.

Right now, I have 1 animation (Kahnankas) and 2 pictures (one of which is
absolutely incredible!).  The disks is about half full, which should leave
room for Tychoid, maybe a ray tracing if I still have any, and a few pointers
or icons.

Also, one of my coworkers says all the animations appearing on Pict1 and
that are going to appear on Pict3 worked on his 512K Amiga 1000.  I am going
to try this tonight.

Anyone who wants Pict1, 2 or 3 can send me either $5 or a disk&SASE.  (If
you send a disk, it'd be nice if you can dig up at least SOMETHING to put
on it.)  Drop me a line at:

Joe Larson
6121 St. Croix Ave. N.
Golden Valley, Mn 55422

If you don't want a disk unless everything will run in 512K, tell me and I'll
not mail it if it doesn't run.