[comp.sys.amiga] The scoop on Falcon, and a review

carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith x4433) (01/05/89)

There have been some harsh and unfair words said here about Falcon, all of
them by people who have apparently never even played the game. Falcon WAS
released with bugs, it doesn't work with 68020's, you must re-kickstart an
A1000 if you want to play it again after you have played previously (though
1.3 boots OK), the joystick has a bug (you can't pull back and turn at the
same time), and there are some minor display glitches. But there are many
companies who have released "professional" software with more bugs and
problems than Falcon has who have received fairer treatment here.

Did anyone bother to call Spectrum Holobyte and ask them about the bugs? I
did, and they are working on an update right now, that will be sent free to
anyone who has reported problems, or who has sent in their warranty card. They
expect the update to be ready in about two weeks, and yes, it will fix the
68020 problems, as well as the bugs I mentioned to them. At least they own up
to the problems and are fixing them, and at least they answer their technical
support lines (which is more than I can say for Aegis), and this is just for
a GAME! The way they have been flamed it is as if they said they would not
fix the bugs, hated the Amiga anyway, and would not accept returns!

I want to add that in spite of the bugs Falcon has NEVER ONCE CRASHED on me,
nor have I ever been robbed of a successfully completed mission, the way
Interceptor has so often done to so many people. I have had MANY hours of FUN
playing this game.

And the whiny name-calling is not very appropriate for this forum, at least
from anyone who claims to be a programmer. Obviously, their code has never
had bugs in it, or been rushed to market to make some Christmas sales. Such
decisions are rarely in the hands of the programmers working on the project.

Instead of cursing Spectrum Holobyte, they should be praised for bringing such
a fine game to the Amiga, and encouraged to fix any existing problems and
provide an update to those who need it, both of which they have already
promised to do. Only if they are not responsive to the problems and do not
come out with the update should they be criticized so harshly.

Why do I care? Because Falcon is the best game I have seen on the Amiga, and
is by far the best jet combat simulator. It blows away Interceptor as a
simulation as completely as Interceptor shot down Jet. I also care because the
programmers of Falcon have done a wonderful job, and the game as a whole is
an AMAZING TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT, and all of the negative comments by people
who have not even played it are very unfair to them.

The level of detail and sophistication are amazing. The frame rate is high
enough to give a smooth sensation of flight. The instrumentation is superb,
with real head-up-display simulation instead of the pseudo-HUD Interceptor
used. The enemy aircraft are well detailed. It includes air-to-ground modes
as well as air-to-air combat. No more launching air-to-air missiles at a
"Submersible Aircraft Carrier" and wondering if you actually hit anything.
In Falcon, ground targets show damage when hit.

Some details -

The game is copy protected only with a code-wheel. The code must be entered
only once at boot-up. The disks themselves are not protected.

The HUD includes an attitude ladder (sadly missing from Interceptor), airspeed
and altitude scales, G-force indicator, heading scale and more, as the basic
information. There are additional graphics depending on which specific weapon
is selected, which can be air-to-air missile, gun dogfight, air-to-ground
bombing, air-to-ground missile, and gun strafing. Each mode has its own
information displayed, and as best as I can tell in the books I have on
combat aircraft they are both accurate and complete. This adds a lot to the
quality of the simulation. It also has an ILS (instrument landing system) mode
that makes landing easier.

Other instruments include a threat indicator (shows direction to radar
emissions), missile lock warning, missile launch warning, radar, map plus
assorted other necessary instruments.

The electronic simulation is one of the things that makes this game
interesting. Your radar has both tracking and boresight modes. You may shut
your radar off to avoid detection by the enemy. You may equip your plane with
and use a jammer, but it will broadcast your position to the enemy. Your
threat indicator will show enemy aircraft and SAM sites if they have their
radar on, but at higher difficulty levels the MIGS may also have their radar
off!

The attention to detail is amazing. When you turn on your ILS, you will get
messages from the control tower vectoring you to the correct approach path! A
neat touch is that each message is accompanied by a garbled, staticy fake
message over the radio! If you are diving toward the ground, a female voice
says "PULL UP, PULL UP" while arrows on the HUD converge on the impact point.
There are real mountains to fly around, ground detail includes roads, rivers,
bridges (which are also targets) airfields, buildings and skyscrapers. Another
nice touch is that here and there along roads are telephone poles, and little
clusters of what look like farm buildings, complete with water towers!

But there's more! Replay your flight path with a black box. Dogfight over the
modem! (I am looking forward to trying that!) There is air combat manuever
training... The sounds of bullets hitting your plane will make you jump out of
your seat (or should I say, eject).

This IS a TOUGH game. Control is touchy, because the plane is much more
responsive than Interceptor, where the F-18 was basically crippled. There
are several difficuly modes though, and this can make it easier to get into
the game.  Landing can be very difficult until you get the hang of
it. Dogfighting is tough. You have to be careful not to get shot down while
on your landing approach, or while approaching a ground target. But it is my
favorite game now, and anyone who liked Interceptor but wanted more should
check it out!

If you are worried about the bugs, or have a 68020 machine, by all means
wait until the update comes out before buying it. But don't get the idea that
Falcon is a lousy game, because it is awesome!

--
			Carlos Smith
			uucp:...!mit-eddie!ileaf!carlos

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (01/05/89)

In article <878@io.UUCP> carlos (Carlos Smith x4433) writes:

>There have been some harsh and unfair words said here about Falcon, all of

>Did anyone bother to call Spectrum Holobyte and ask them about the bugs? I
>expect the update to be ready in about two weeks, and yes, it will fix the

     It always takes 2 weeks.  New programs allways ship in "two weeks", and
bugs are always fixed in "two weeks"

>I want to add that in spite of the bugs Falcon has NEVER ONCE CRASHED on me,
>nor have I ever been robbed of a successfully completed mission, the way
>Interceptor has so often done to so many people...

     Interceptor does not rob people of successfull missions, those people
(especially those that have not read the manual for some reason) just
don't know that they must hit the trip wire with their arrestor hook.

     I can't wait to see this game myself, I just don't believe in releasing
buggy software, even before Christmas.  I had enough problems with TDI.

.RS

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854