[comp.sys.amiga] ST157N problems

PHILIP@VTVM1.BITNET (Fred Senese) (01/03/89)

After a few months of fairly trouble-free operation I am having
trouble with my hard drive.
   1) The drive won't spin up consistently.  When it is stuck I can get it to
spin up by tweaking the spindle on the bottom of the drive with a screwdriver.
   2) The drive will run for several hours or days but eventually gives
lots of read-write errors (and executables on the drive aren't recognized
as object modules.)  A file that is corrupt one day is OK the next.  The
Find Bad Blocks command in MDFixer reports different positions and numbers of
bad blocks every time it is run.  I can on occasion find only 4 bad blocks
on the last few cylinders of the disk (exactly what I found before the drive
got sick) but at other times I get around 200 bad blocks.  The drive fails
at different times in the startup-sequence.

  My configuration: A1000 w/2M Starboard II, Stardrive, attached to an ST157N
in a Wetex case & power supply with a heavily shielded cable.  I haven't done
the PAL fix. I am running KS/WB 1.3.

  I've tried reseating the Starboard II and the cables.  It doesn't help (altho
ugh moving the 50->25 pin cable from the drive to the DB25 connector in the
Wetex case seems to help temporarily (the drive will run for hours before I get
another read-write error).  So possibly 2) is a faulty connection inside
the cable? Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for this cable?
Should I have the drive replaced? (It's still under warranty-I think).

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

king@oetl.UUCP (Steve King) (01/04/89)

In article <8901022054.AA08155@jade.berkeley.edu> PHILIP@VTVM1.BITNET (Fred Senese) writes:
>After a few months of fairly trouble-free operation I am having
>trouble with my hard drive.
>   2) The drive will run for several hours or days but eventually gives
>lots of read-write errors (and executables on the drive aren't recognized
>as object modules.)  A file that is corrupt one day is OK the next.

I too have been having trouble with my hard drive and WB1.3. Twice now the
disk has crashed.  My system:

		   Amiga 1000
		   Pal Jr. with ST506 DMA cntlr. 1.0 M RAM
		   Seagate ST251-1 40M drive /DH0: FFS, 20K Stack, LCyl 0,
		   HCyl 818
		   WB1.3

Pal Jr. came with a low level disk test program (plus sketchy doc). At least
I can block out the crashes.  System worked fast & well under 1.2.  I first
backed up hd with MRbackup, then configured for 1.3.  After restoring files
DPaint crashed when trying to load hi-res files from hd.  With the help of my
boss got bad blocks mapped and then went through whole process again.  This
time Deluxe Music Cons. Set crashed heavily.  And here is the wierd part, I
got a requester for soundscape when I tried to open DMCS from the Icon.  I also
got a partial window for soundscape.  Now I have never had trouble with DMCS
before and Soundscape has *never* been mounted on the 40M hd(although it was
on the previous 20M ST225 I have).  It is as though the FFS is finding things
long ago deleted and not buggy in 1.2.  It makes me think I may load all
application programs from masters and only save data files, then backup for the
future. Thoughts anyone?

Problem 2>  NEWSHELL NEWCON:100/100/200/100/SJKSHELL fails in startup. I made
L:Shell-Seg resident and mounted NEWCON: But the /200 option fails. If I make
width /100 it comes up fine???!!

  P.S. I am not the Stephen J. King previously seen on these stations.  But
  if his middle name is Juel then how am I two places at once?

|           Stephen J. King  (No, I'm not the author, but have you seen       |
|                                my dog Cujo??? )                             |
| ..!leadsv!oetl!king                           LMSC SCF "High in the Hills"  |

In article <407@oetl1.oetl.UUCP> king@oetl.UUCP (Steve King) writes:
>In article <8901022054.AA08155@jade.berkeley.edu> PHILIP@VTVM1.BITNET (Fred Senese) writes:
>>After a few months of fairly trouble-free operation I am having
>>trouble with my hard drive.
>>   2) The drive will run for several hours or days but eventually gives
>>lots of read-write errors (and executables on the drive aren't recognized
>>as object modules.)  A file that is corrupt one day is OK the next.

	One possibility is heat.  The drive may be fine initially, but after
heavy use or a long time on may overheat.  Or the drive may be failing.  Or it
may have trouble completing seeks.

>		   Amiga 1000
>		   Pal Jr. with ST506 DMA cntlr. 1.0 M RAM
>		   Seagate ST251-1 40M drive /DH0: FFS, 20K Stack, LCyl 0,
>		   HCyl 818
>		   WB1.3
>
>Pal Jr. came with a low level disk test program (plus sketchy doc). At least
>I can block out the crashes.  System worked fast & well under 1.2.  I first
>backed up hd with MRbackup, then configured for 1.3.

	First, I'd recommend trying the latest A2090 driver (34.4) which has
been posted to many places, I think including here.  The Pal hardware is
essentially the same as the 2090.  Double check your mountlist, especially
stack and dostype.  You could try a maxtransfer of 512 (the _old_ driver that
came with the pal may not like large transfers.)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (01/05/89)

In article <8901022054.AA08155@jade.berkeley.edu> PHILIP@VTVM1.BITNET (Fred Senese) writes:
>After a few months of fairly trouble-free operation I am having
>
>  I've tried reseating the Starboard II and the cables.  It doesn't help (altho
>ugh moving the 50->25 pin cable from the drive to the DB25 connector in the
>Wetex case seems to help temporarily (the drive will run for hours before I get
>another read-write error).  So possibly 2) is a faulty connection inside
>the cable? Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for this cable?
>Should I have the drive replaced? (It's still under warranty-I think).
>
>Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Gentle application of contact cleaner on the pins on the drive might help.
Other than that all I can suggest is getting a new drive cable. This may be a
real bummer to track down, too. It could even be a poorly soldered connection
on the drive itself... Good luck!

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.