[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga UUCP/UseNet & Berks Amiga BBS

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (12/22/88)

  #1> I don't have a mainframe running UUCP within my local calling area.
  #2> Having my Amiga as a UUCP site frees me to read & post mail/news when I
      want. Not when I can connect to someone elses site.
  #3> If for some reason I was to lose my host site, unlike a user account, I
      can just find another site willing to feed heimat.
  #4> Alot of user who use our software do not have accounts on machines that
      run UUCP. So running it on your Amiga removes that problem.

>  My amiga setup is large enough to use UUCP effectively (hard drive and
>plenty of memory), but since I'm lazy and have too much to do (probably because
>I'm lazy :), I havent worked much with UUCP to have it 'do it all' for me.
>Do you think you could send me your 'setup' of UUCP so I could get using it
>if it's that useful? I'm always looking for SOMETHING to increase my
>productivity...  :-)

   Amiga UUCP/UseNet has been available for over 6 months now from Sneakers
   Computing. We will be releasing a new version in about 1-2 weeks. Watch
   the net for details on how to obtain it.

>  The second question...is 'berks amiga bbs' running on BBS-PC software or
>what?? I guess a more straightforward question...what bbs software are you
>using?                                                                 ^^^

   I dont actually 'run' Berks Amiga BBS. It is run by two chaps named, Rick
   Entzminger and Dave Procopio. My only connection with Berks Amiga is being
   the owner of the hardware (Plus it sits aside of heimat ;-). So unless a
   hardware related item needs doing, im just an average user like anyone else.

   Berks Amiga has run several versions of BBS-PC! software since day #1 some
   2.5 years ago......

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

  Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (12/29/88)

In an article on 22 December, Dan "Sneakers" Schein said,
>We will be releasing a new version [of AmigaUUCP] in about 1-2 weeks.

I have the current release, a friendly site to connect to, a
non-Hayes-compatible modem and a non-Lattice C compiler.  Great
frustration has ensued.  One hopes that the next release would either
include a way to patch in modem command syntax without recompiling, or
else exclude a half dozen or so Lattice-isms from 'uucico.'

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
Today:		plouff%levers.dec@decwrl.dec.com

"All the popular bugs in the RAM-Handler were fixed in Version 1.3."
			  Amiga Enhancer Software Manual, page 1-17

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (12/29/88)

In article <8812281419.AA08795@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
> In an article on 22 December, Dan "Sneakers" Schein said,
> >We will be releasing a new version [of AmigaUUCP] in about 1-2 weeks.

> One hopes that the next release would either
> include a way to patch in modem command syntax without recompiling, or
> else exclude a half dozen or so Lattice-isms from 'uucico.'

That'd be nice. Even more useful would be having it use windows
instead of waiting for an acknowledgement after every packet. I'm
using UUPC in the meantime because while it'd hopelessly PC-based
at least it gets decent throughput.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (12/30/88)

In Message <8812281419.AA08795@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:

>I have the current release, a friendly site to connect to, a
>non-Hayes-compatible modem and a non-Lattice C compiler.  Great
>frustration has ensued.  One hopes that the next release would either
>include a way to patch in modem command syntax without recompiling, or
>else exclude a half dozen or so Lattice-isms from 'uucico.'

  The new release (which is finished & being copied now) will require Lattice
  V5.0 to compile almost all of the supplied code.

  As for using a non-Hayes compatible modem, the original idea behind the file
  modem.c was so that users could make any required changes. Not having access
  to Lattice does make this a bit hard.

  There are NO plans to modify code and remove Lattice specific calls at this
  time. As for the reason Lattice and Hayes compatible modems were supported,
  and continue to be supported, is because 90% of Amiga UUCP/UseNet users have
  both.

  The solution to Lattice calls taken by Fred Cassirer was to write replacement
  functions for use with Manx. I know he has written several and im sure if you
  asked, he would be glad to share them with you. (Sorry to say I lost Fred's
  mail address. So if your reading this Fred, please send it to me and post a
  follow up message).

  Sneakers

--

jim@coplex.UUCP (Jim Sewell) (12/30/88)

In article <8812281419.AA08795@decwrl.dec.com> plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>In an article on 22 December, Dan "Sneakers" Schein said,
>>We will be releasing a new version [of AmigaUUCP] in about 1-2 weeks.
>
>I have the current release,non-Hayes-compatible modem and a non-Lattice C
>compiler.  Great frustration has ensued.

I had a similar situation, Wes.  The only thing I had to change, however, was
the dialing prefix since I don't have touch tone (don't blame me, it's not
my idea!)  Anyway, ONE solution that will work if the commands are the same
length is to use a handy dandy file zapper on the compiled program.  I know,
it's not earth shattering news, but in case someone hadn't thunked of it :)

"May we all break free of our prejudice       _____   ____   ___  mit-eddie!
and enjoy mutual respect, peace, and love       /    /      <___  bloom-beacon!
in the world!"                                 /    <____   ____> coplex!jim
				           \__/  J.C. Sewell

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (12/31/88)

In Message <8812281419.AA08795@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:

>I have the current release, a friendly site to connect to, a
>non-Hayes-compatible modem and a non-Lattice C compiler.  Great
>frustration has ensued.  One hopes that the next release would either
>include a way to patch in modem command syntax without recompiling, or
>else exclude a half dozen or so Lattice-isms from 'uucico.'

If the "Sneakers Computing" has a uucico that is *anything* like other
uucicos, then you should be able to make a "Systems" (or L.sys) file
entry that manually dials the modem.

For example, here's the uupc entry I use with the proprietary stuff changed
and newlines inserted so it will make it thru mail.

sitename Any a DIR 1200 g "" ATZ OK-\d+++\dATZ-OK ATM0S0=0\d\d OK
ATDT5555555 CONNECT DELAY3\d\d ogin:-BREAK\c-ogin:--ogin uucp sword: foobar

The DIR part essentially says we have a direct line instead of an ACU.
Therefore, no dialing software gets called. We then do all the AT modem
commands ourself. This could be adapted for any modem using any command
set. It could also be used to repeat dial or cycle through different
phone numbers.

The DELAY3 stuff is a feature of "uupc", but the rest (I believe) is
pretty standard.

So there ya go. I've been using this technique for a long time on Unix
systems ever since David Herron showed me how.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

fredc@petsd.UUCP (Fred Cassirer) (01/03/89)

In article <5312.AA5312@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP writes:
>In Message <8812281419.AA08795@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>  There are NO plans to modify code and remove Lattice specific calls at this
>  time. As for the reason Lattice and Hayes compatible modems were supported,
>  and continue to be supported, is because 90% of Amiga UUCP/UseNet users have
>  both.
>
>  The solution to Lattice calls taken by Fred Cassirer was to write replacement
>  functions for use with Manx. I know he has written several and im sure if you
>  asked, he would be glad to share them with you. (Sorry to say I lost Fred's
>  mail address. So if your reading this Fred, please send it to me and post a
>  follow up message).
>
>  Sneakers
>

>--
>Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
>Sneakers Computing

    When I first received UUCP from dan I attempted to "manxify" it by
    using some creative macros that would allow the source to compile
    pretty much untouched.  All I did was add a "config.h" file to most
    of the sources and then a "manx.h" file to config.h.  Manx.h used
    some #defines to change lattice specific stuff to manx specific.
    I got the whole thing to compile, and sorta run, but uucico would
    hang up inside a AmigaDos call somewhere during a connect (I don't
    remember where).

    I've been sending dan some source for Anews for both Manx and Lattice.
    I don't have Lattice, but I took a shot at some of the lattice versions
    of any manx specific stuff (like manx's set_raw/set_con, I used raw()
    and cooked() that was posted a while back in the stevie editor), it looks
    like it worked :-)

     Once I get a copy of the new UUCP I'm going to try again to get it to
     compile under manx, if I succeed I'll send the changes to dan, I'd like
     to think I could do it without changing any of the code except for maybe
     some header files.

     Currently I use UUPC with a version of Anews and an unbatcher, if anyone
     is interested I could post them.

                                                   -Fredc

     PS  Dan, my address is  ..rutgers!petsd!pecnos!fredc

455 McKinley Ave.                     Of course heimat is an Amiga.
>West Lawn, PA 19609           Doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?
>
>>  Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

--
 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
<  Fred Cassirer			   ... rutgers!petsd!fredc or	   >

klm@wang7.UUCP (klm) (01/04/89)

In article <3167@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <8812281419.AA08795@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
> > In an article on 22 December, Dan "Sneakers" Schein said,
> > >We will be releasing a new version [of AmigaUUCP] in about 1-2 weeks.
>
> > One hopes that the next release would either
> > include a way to patch in modem command syntax without recompiling, or
> > else exclude a half dozen or so Lattice-isms from 'uucico.'
>
> That'd be nice. Even more useful would be having it use windows
> instead of waiting for an acknowledgement after every packet. I'm
> using UUPC in the meantime because while it'd hopelessly PC-based
> at least it gets decent throughput.

I'm not sure about Sneakers' AmigaUUCP, but I've been extensively
hacking on UUPC for a couple of months.  A friend of mine wrote a
new dialer for the package that can be configured for different
modems at runtime by use of a configuration file.

I have also completely revamped the horribly deficient user interface
to the mail reader.  Pretty soon we are going to bundle up our changes
and send them off to the UUPC guys.  I think we would also be willing
to share our smart dialer with Sneakers or anyone else who wants it.

BTW, Dan, I called Berks BBS "once" and left you a message.  I have
since forgotten the password I used.  How silly of me.  Anyway, I'll
call in again using an alias and maybe you could straighten things
out, eh?  Thanks.

BTW, anybody interested in a news reader written in Forth?  I know
somebody who wrote one.

--
Kevin McBride         Another  //     | A cure for AIDS has been found.
Wang Laboratories      Proud  //      | They've given it a Yamaha part

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/08/89)

In Message-ID: <2630@wang7.UUCP>, klm@wang7.UUCP (klm) writes:

>I'm not sure about Sneakers' AmigaUUCP, but I've been extensively
>hacking on UUPC for a couple of months.  A friend of mine wrote a
>new dialer for the package that can be configured for different
>modems at runtime by use of a configuration file.

  Sounds alot like our modem.h file. But im sure Bill (wpl@burdvax) would
  be interested in looking at yours to see if its better or not.

>I have also completely revamped the horribly deficient user interface
>to the mail reader.  Pretty soon we are going to bundle up our changes
>and send them off to the UUPC guys.  I think we would also be willing
>to share our smart dialer with Sneakers or anyone else who wants it.

  Im always interested in looking at anyones changes/improvments. Our new
  release includes several changes, ideas, and even a newsreader - all
  submitted to me for inclusion by other Amiga UUCP/UseNet users.

>BTW, Dan, I called Berks BBS "once" and left you a message.  I have
>since forgotten the password I used.  How silly of me.  Anyway, I'll
>call in again using an alias and maybe you could straighten things
>out, eh?  Thanks.

   Im sure a feedback message to one of the SYSOP's (IE: not me) will get you
   active again.

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing
2455 McKinley Ave.                     Of course heimat is an Amiga.
West Lawn, PA 19609           Doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

In Message <5608.AA5608@heimat> I wrote:

>>I'm not sure about Sneakers' AmigaUUCP, but I've been extensively
>>hacking on UUPC for a couple of months.  A friend of mine wrote a
>>new dialer for the package that can be configured for different
>>modems at runtime by use of a configuration file.
>>
>  Sounds alot like our modem.h file. But im sure Bill (wpl@burdvax) would
>  be interested in looking at yours to see if its better or not.

  OPPS! That should be "modem.c" file. Sorry about that.

  Sneakers