[comp.sys.amiga] Using AUX:

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (01/03/89)

Has anyone used AUX: from 1.3??? Have you gotten it to work? I have a terminal
hooked up to my serial port using a null modem connector and I can receive
things just fine from the Amiga but when I type commands TO the Amiga it
only recognizes..  12478yupasdghkzvbnm

Any other letters it ignores.. just as if you were not typing them! Any ideas
on how to get this beast to work!?!?  I am using a Tektronix 4023 terminal,
which works fine... I had it hooked up to a modem (without the null modem
connector of course) and it worked great! Any Ideas???

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

rusty@hocpa.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (01/04/89)

In article <13140@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
   >Has anyone used AUX: from 1.3??? Have you gotten it to work? I have a
   >terminal hooked up to my serial port using a null modem connector and
   >I can receive things just fine from the Amiga but when I type commands
   >TO the Amiga it only recognizes..  12478yupasdghkzvbnm

Doug,
   While I haven't played with AUX: yet check out this table:

char hex #bits=1(in lower 7)
----------------
  0 = x30  even
  1 = x31  odd
  2 = x32  odd
  3 = x33  even
  4 = x34  odd
  5 = x35  even
  6 = x36  even
  7 = x37  odd
  8 = x38  odd
  9 = x39  even
  a = x61  odd
  b = x62  odd
  c = x63  even

Notice all the characters that you mention show up as ODD in my table?
Braaaawwk!!  Pieces of seven.  Pieces of seven.   Yes Doug, it looks
like you have a Parroty problem. :-)   Seriously, it looks like your
terminal and your Ami are not agreeing on the parity.  Given that the
TEK is receiving just fine I would think that it would be set to IGNORE
parity errors and just displays the lower 7-bits of each character.

I s'pose you have three choices:

	1) Change the Preferences for your serial port to match
	   the parroty, er..., parity of your TEK terminal.
	2) Change the setting on your TEK terminal to match your
	   Ami's serial port.
	3) Change both TEK terminal *AND* Ami's serial port to
	   something else; I like NONE or SPACE parity. :-)

					-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		{uunet!likewise,att,arpa}!hocpa!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory

850347s@aucs.UUCP (Hume Smith) (01/04/89)

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com almost, but not quite, wrote in article <13140@cup.portal.com>:
>Has anyone used AUX: from 1.3?  I have a terminal
>hooked up to my serial port using a null modem connector and I can receive
>things just fine from the Amiga but when I type commands TO the Amiga it
>only recognizes
>	12478yupasdghkzvbnm
>Any other letters it ignores just as if you were not typing them! Any ideas
>on how to get this beast to work?
>
>	Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

Check parity ... I don't have 1.3 or use AUX or anything but it considering
the ASCII for those characters the parity is set wrong.

The 'just as if you were not typing them' wouldn't happen though... it would
react to those characters somehow.  Maybe you just haven't seen the results.

BITNET		850347s@Acadia
Internet	850347s%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
UUCP		{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!850347s

In <13140@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Has anyone used AUX: from 1.3??? Have you gotten it to work? I have a terminal
>hooked up to my serial port using a null modem connector and I can receive
>things just fine from the Amiga but when I type commands TO the Amiga it
>only recognizes..  12478yupasdghkzvbnm

>Any other letters it ignores.. just as if you were not typing them! Any ideas
>on how to get this beast to work!?!?  I am using a Tektronix 4023 terminal,
>which works fine... I had it hooked up to a modem (without the null modem
>connector of course) and it worked great! Any Ideas???

I have used AUX: often. Make sure your paramters are set upo properly in  your
system-cofiguration (Preferences) to match the terminal you are hooking to the
serial port.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (01/09/89)

In article <2097@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <13140@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Has anyone used AUX: from 1.3??? Have you gotten it to work? I have a terminal
>>hooked up to my serial port using a null modem connector and I can receive
>>things just fine from the Amiga but when I type commands TO the Amiga it
>>only recognizes..  12478yupasdghkzvbnm
>
>>Any other letters it ignores.. just as if you were not typing them! Any ideas
>>on how to get this beast to work!?!?  I am using a Tektronix 4023 terminal,
>>which works fine... I had it hooked up to a modem (without the null modem
>>connector of course) and it worked great! Any Ideas???
>
>I have used AUX: often. Make sure your paramters are set upo properly in  your
>system-cofiguration (Preferences) to match the terminal you are hooking to the
>serial port.
>
>-larry

Another major problem (besides this apparent parity problem) that folks are
having is versionitis. There are several PD or shareware AUX: drivers out there.
Many folks are using one of these handlers with the C= mountlist or vice-versa.
Either can cause problems including vistis from the GURU. Moral is make sure
mountlist and handler are both direct from C= 1.3 disk.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.