[comp.sys.amiga] Disk drive noise, was

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/03/89)

In article <394@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:

(about supra drives)

>Of course, when I wasn't using the hard-disk, I would unplug it since
>it made this horrible noise.  Just leaving it turned off wouldn't work,
>since the 1000 wouldn't boot.  I am not blaming the manufacturer for
>the noise, since I have seen quite a few quiet ones, especially the
>later models - they even gave me excellent support when I needed it.

Yes.

Harv (laser) has one of the earlier supra drives. When I call him
on the phone, my wife complains about the sound his disk drive
makes, coming over the phone.

I have one of the newer ones, and its noiser than a 2000, but not
as noisy as a laser printer.

Of course there are other more significant differences. The old style
supra drives had a generic SCSI controller in the box with
the drive, so if you know what you're doing you can physically
replace the drive itself with another (ie, higher capacity)
drive, and/or add on up to 3 more drives, since the controller
can already handle them.

The later supra drives use a drive with an embedded SCSI controller
that runs the one drive only, so your harddrive hacking would
be limited to replacing the disk with another (ie. bigger) drive
that also had an embedded SCSI controller. Sneaky.

Of course it's the drive itself that makes the noise, all the rest
of this mish mash makes no noise.

And for those of you who dont know what all this controller/drive
nonsense is all about:

the box you slap on the side of your 1000 when you buy a supra drive
is a ``SCSI host adapter''. It interfaces the SCSI controller
to the amiga.

The box the hard drive is in contains the SCSI controller which
interfaces the physical drive to the host adapter. It takes
commands from the computer, like, seek, read, home the heads,
and converts these to the right thingies for the drive to
understand.

The drive itself is a very stupid thing, which is why it needs
a controller in the first place.

Does anybody NOT have this cold/flu thats going around ?

--
Grade Lakes: The name applied to Lakes Spearyer, Urine, Mishigan, Eerie and
Untario. They form the largest body of polluted fresh water in the world.

richard@gryphon.COM {b'bone}!gryphon!richard  gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts) (01/10/89)

>	Trick Question : Name one company, besides SubLOGIC, who has ever
>		released a second version of any game.
>
>	It don't happen, I don't even know of one that tries to sneak fixes
>	into production without calling it a new version.

Interstel's Empire.

I bought Empire 2.03 in the store.  I've since seen 2.04 in the store.
They sent me a card saying a new version was ready.  When I sent for it,
they sent me 2.05.  It has bug fixes and some nice new features.

Paul Gootherts, Hewlett-Packard Co, hplabs!hpda!pdg