[comp.sys.amiga] CD roms, RW optical disks.

dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu (12/29/88)

I know I am dreaming on this one, but I would like to see one of
these new read write (not worm) optical disk drives which could
also read cd roms. The advantage would be that software could be
published incredibly cheaply and in high volume by the CD roms
stamping process at say about $5 per disk, and givin the current
high cost of read write media ($50-$200 per disk, still cheaper
than flopies given that these are 500 Mbyte disks), people could
sell software for $50, which is cheaper than anyone could copy it.
Then you would be in the same position as book publishers where it
is cheaper to buy the book than to copy it.

Ofcourse I am dreaming, so while I am at it why don't we just add
the ability to play CD's and CDV's with at liest reasonable quality
on this drive :-)

                                   Douglas Peale

oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) (12/29/88)

I believe someone in rec.video quoted a price of $2100 US
for 1000 ( One Thousand ) CDs, starting from an digital
master on magnetic tape. Converting an analog tape to digital
was said to cost $50 US or so.

By comparason, cassete ttapes can be produced ( on Type I tape )
for under $0.80 US each in quantity 1000, acording to my
brother John who is a musician in Washington D.C.

Media included for both prices, of course.

So, anyone know what commercial floppy production costs ?
--
 Dennis O'Connor   oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP  ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
	"I've discovered how to stop stupid people from flaming :

klm@wang7.UUCP (klm) (01/06/89)

In article <1068@hub.ucsb.edu>, dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:

> I know I am dreaming on this one, but I would like to see one of
> these new read write (not worm) optical disk drives which could
> also read cd roms.....

Unlikely.  I beleive that the media format is sufficiently different
enough that a drive that would read both would be prohibitively
expensive.

> Ofcourse I am dreaming, so while I am at it why don't we just add
> the ability to play CD's and CDV's with at liest reasonable quality
> on this drive :-)

This has been done.  We built our own SCSI CD-ROM drive for our product line.
The drive has both digital and analog outputs.  Some guys over in the
Freestyle group have one hooked up to the departmental stereo system
so they can play their favorite CDs.

Only problem is:  Software sounds horrible, Kate Bush screws up your
computer. :-)

--
Kevin McBride         Another  //     | A cure for AIDS has been found.
Wang Laboratories      Proud  //      | They've given it a Yamaha part

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (01/07/89)

In article <2633@wang7.UUCP> klm@wang7.UUCP (klm) writes:
>In article <1068@hub.ucsb.edu>, dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>>
>> I know I am dreaming on this one, but I would like to see one of
>> these new read write (not worm) optical disk drives which could
>> also read cd roms.....
>
>Unlikely.  I beleive that the media format is sufficiently different
>enough that a drive that would read both would be prohibitively
>expensive.

If I'm not mistaken, Tandy via their THOR subsidiary is working on
a read/write CD recorder-player that IS compatible with standard
CD's.  I think they are talking about bringing it to market by the
end of '89.  The initial market is Audio, but it's obviously only
a hop, skip, and a jump to data storage/retrieval.

There was an article a few weeks ago in EE Times (I think) that
said a Japanese company was showing a similar device at either
Comdex or CES, and trying to sign up users.  Sorry I can't remember
the details - it was of only passing interest at the time.  But I
remember the Tandy people were commenting on their opinions of this
company's being able to do it (i.e, have CD-compatible read-write
media.)

>Kevin McBride         Another  //     | A cure for AIDS has been found.

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

I think we need a new term for Write/Read optic drives. WORM= Write Once
Read Many.

How about WARM?= Write AND Read Many?    :-)

ar ar
--------------
John Sparks
sparks@corpane.UUCP

God is real unless declared Integer.
                           --- cookie

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (01/10/89)

From article <170@dms3b1.UUCP>, by dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna):
> In article <2633@wang7.UUCP> klm@wang7.UUCP (klm) writes:
>>In article <1068@hub.ucsb.edu>, dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>
> There was an article a few weeks ago in EE Times (I think) that
> said a Japanese company was showing a similar device at either
> Comdex or CES, and trying to sign up users.
>
>>Kevin McBride         Another  //     | A cure for AIDS has been found.
> Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"

	The Japanese company is named "This", and they are calling the
product CD-R, for Compact Disk - Recordable. They are creating CD to the
standard (red book I believe) that is totally correct for any CD player
out there. They are using a Gold film substrate that is burned by the
laser. The disks are expected to cost ~$8.50 when they are available.

	This product is initially slated for Professional Audio
people, and not for consumers. This is because of the problems that
resulted with the impending effect of DAT tapes/players to
intellectual proprietary products. The next use is intended to be data
store.

	The product introduction is slated for CES, this week. Anyone
have the real details?

-Jim Becker	...!sun!athsys!jim