[comp.sys.amiga] Floppy FFS

Tom Claydon: ASTLC@alaska.bitnet;, (01/05/89)

  I would appreciate it if someone would send me a sample MountList for
using FFS on internal/external floppy drives (DF0: and DF1:) Thanks!

--------------
Tom Claydon
Student, University of Alaska Anchorage
ASTLC@ALASKA.BITNET

stan@hpcvca.HP.COM (Stan Gibbs) (01/07/89)

I would also be interested in a sample Mountlist, but I wonder if FFS
will really benefit a floppy based system.  Will much improvement in
transfer rates be seen if one changes over to FFS?

I have also heard that there are some disadvantages to using FFS with
floppies related to having to inform the file system that a floppy
has been removed or inserted in a drive. Is that correct?

Stan         stan@hp-pcd.hp.com

mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) (01/10/89)

In article <6222@louie.udel.EDU> Tom Claydon: ASTLC@alaska.bitnet;, writes:

>  I would appreciate it if someone would send me a sample MountList for
>using FFS on internal/external floppy drives (DF0: and DF1:) Thanks!

Kinda related, has anyone gotten AutoDiskChange to work?  (It was posted a few
weeks ago, i can't remember offhand who submitted it).  I have the mountlist
that was posted with it, and i have FFS working on all my floppies, but the
AutoDiskChange gives me an error message ("AutoDiskchange failed, return code
20" or something like that).  I have Arplib in libs: like it says.  My system
is A1000 512k, Insider 1Meg expansion, Amiga 5-1/4" external drive, Supra 4x4,
Seagate ST277N.

Thanks for any info,
  Michael Murphy
  mjm@manatee.cis.ufl.edu

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/10/89)

In article <19613@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mjm@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) writes:
>Kinda related, has anyone gotten AutoDiskChange to work?  (It was posted a few
>weeks ago, i can't remember offhand who submitted it).  I have the mountlist
>that was posted with it, and i have FFS working on all my floppies, but the
>AutoDiskChange gives me an error message ("AutoDiskchange failed, return code
>20" or something like that).  I have Arplib in libs: like it says.  My system
>is A1000 512k, Insider 1Meg expansion, Amiga 5-1/4" external drive, Supra 4x4,
>Seagate ST277N.

The first time I tried FFS on floppies, the disk drives would just
click whenever I tried to format them with the FFS option. Eventually,
format returned with an error.

I don't know what I did different the second time, but it seems to work
now. I have an A1000 with 512K. I don't mount FF0: and FF1: at bootup
because it takes up so much ram. Instead, I have a shell alias called
"ffs" that mounts FF0: and FF1: and fires up autodiskchange.

If I had the memory, I would have a FFS floppy mounted all the time simply
because it does run faster, and you can hold more on a disk.

On a related note: Has anyone had trouble running virusx and formatting
floppies at the same time? Sometimes I've had disk errors and sometimes
I get a guru.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean