[comp.sys.amiga] Dillon's Shell Gripe...is it fixed?

840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (01/08/89)

Much to my chagrin, I have found a neat little "feature" of Dillon's Shell.
Admittedly, I'm only using version 2.05 (or something like that), but I think
this should have been thought of at the first. I had one directory that held
almost half a year's worth of term papers and stuff on a disk. I was in the
root directory and I thought I was somewhere in another subdirectory in the
root. I accidentally typed "mv * df1:docs". As I casually noticed that I was
in the root directory (aaaahhhhhh!!!!), I immediately hit ^C. Too late.
The number of blocks used on the disk hadn't changed, but the shell had nicely
moved the "docs" directory into itself, erasing the directory entry. Now I
gotta think of a way to rebuild everything. Has this been fixed? Does shell
check to see if a directory is being moved into itself? I hope so......

Thanx.
...Bill.

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (01/09/89)

	Yow!  strange.  This is a bug, but not in my shell.  This is a bug
in the filesystem.  Interesting though, when you do it in RAM: the directory
gets blown away but the memory is still allocated.

					-Matt

:Much to my chagrin, I have found a neat little "feature" of Dillon's Shell.
:Admittedly, I'm only using version 2.05 (or something like that), but I think
:this should have been thought of at the first. I had one directory that held
:almost half a year's worth of term papers and stuff on a disk. I was in the
:root directory and I thought I was somewhere in another subdirectory in the
:root. I accidentally typed "mv * df1:docs". As I casually noticed that I was
:in the root directory (aaaahhhhhh!!!!), I immediately hit ^C. Too late.
:The number of blocks used on the disk hadn't changed, but the shell had nicely
:moved the "docs" directory into itself, erasing the directory entry. Now I
:gotta think of a way to rebuild everything. Has this been fixed? Does shell
:check to see if a directory is being moved into itself? I hope so......
:
:Thanx.
:....Bill.

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/10/89)

In article <1481@aucs.UUCP> 840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) writes:
|The number of blocks used on the disk hadn't changed, but the shell had nicely
|moved the "docs" directory into itself, erasing the directory entry. Now I
|gotta think of a way to rebuild everything. Has this been fixed? Does shell
|check to see if a directory is being moved into itself? I hope so......

Disksalv can fix it!!! You need to get this program and use it. I'll even
mail it to you.

Everyone should know about disksalv. That's why I'm posting this.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (01/11/89)

In article <8901090859.AA22394@postgres.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Yow!  strange.  This is a bug, but not in my shell.  This is a bug
>in the filesystem.  Interesting though, when you do it in RAM: the directory
>gets blown away but the memory is still allocated.
>
>					-Matt

Sorry for blaming it on the shell, Matt, but I rarely use Commodore's CLI
and I thought it may have been an oversight in shell's code. Well, well, well.
I hope C= is reading this and think about it a bit. Admittedly, it probably
happens very rarely, but point being, it shouldn't happen at all. I can see
myself learning a lot about the filesystem in the near future.... Just for
interest's sake, I tried using DiskSalv to fix it first. The results were
interesting. The version on FF#20 found the directory that had been moved into
itself (at block 886 or so), but stopped - just stopped - when it went to print
the name to the screen. A later version of it fared slightly better. It managed
to find and print the name of the directory at block 886, but stopped with
either a "software error - task held", just plain nothing, or a guru at block
901. All the time. Period. Oh well. I'm using Sectorama now, and poking around
trying to see if I can patch things up. I know that the disk structures are
given in the AmigaDOS Reference Manual, but since that is at home, is there
any other reference around, maybe in Amazing Computing or AmigaWorld? I have
the Lattice C 4.0 compiler. Is there anything useful there? Thanx a lot.

...Bill.