[comp.sys.amiga] Game Updates

I wrote :
Trick Question : Name one company, besides SubLOGIC, who has ever
                      ^^^
	released a second version of any game.

In article <11132@swan.ulowell.edu> (Robert Silvers) replied:
>     Discovery with Arkanoid?  Many new levels, same game, lower price.
>Also, the first week that Jet was out, it had a few problems.

Interesting, Jet of course doesn't count (SubLOGIC) but Arkanoid would.
How did you find out about this? Since I am a "registered" owner of
Arkanoid I would think they would send me a note but you never know.
How can you tell which is which?

--Chuck McManis

In article <84406@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>Interesting, Jet of course doesn't count (SubLOGIC) but Arkanoid would.
>How did you find out about this? Since I am a "registered" owner of
>Arkanoid I would think they would send me a note but you never know.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>How can you tell which is which?

Well, after 3 years as part of the Amiga developer community, I can safely say
that in 99% of the cases sending in the registration is 50% of the job of
getting (free or for-a-fee) updates.  The next 50% involves calling the
company and ASKING for the update.  At this point in time, Amiga companies
simply cannot afford the extra expense of sending out notices of upgrades,
also given the fact that 50% of them come back as "addresse no longer at this
address".  Most of them, though, will offer the upgrade for free, just for the
asking.  Among the majors I can list WordPerfect (I got 4 free updates to
WP), EA (I got an upgrade for Dpaint II), OXXI (they freely upgraded me
MaxiPlan several times). When we were in the publishing business, we did
the same.  It is just numbers (i.e. $$).  Actually the only upgrade notice
I received was from Lattice for their C compiler.  This also happened to me
when I was working for PC DOS machines.  In that market, the number of upgrade
notices is a little higher, but not that much.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (01/09/89)

>Trick Question : Name one company, besides SubLOGIC, who has ever
>                      ^^^
>	released a second version of any game.
>
>>     Discovery with Arkanoid?  Many new levels, same game, lower price.
>>Also, the first week that Jet was out, it had a few problems.
>
>Interesting, Jet of course doesn't count (SubLOGIC) but Arkanoid would.
>How did you find out about this? Since I am a "registered" owner of
>Arkanoid I would think they would send me a note but you never know.
>How can you tell which is which?
>--Chuck McManis

     Sorry, I forgot who wrote Jet.  I bought it, but don't think I ever
sent in the card.  I heard about Arkanoid in the various magazines.  The
newer version has more than the original 20 levels.  Something like 10 more.
Don't know for sure, I don't have it.
     I am still mad that I actually bought Sword of Sudan for $40.00 and
can't copy it.  They wan't $15.00 for a backup copy.  I have seen enough
disks go bad to make me nervous.  I think I am going to stop buying
copy-protected stuff, INCLUDING games, even with manual protection.  How can
anyone write a good program and then cripple it?  It looks like they had no
choice with Dragon's Lair (because of the compression), but the others, there
is no excuse.  The pirates will copy it anyways, and the average user who
bought it just gets pissed off.  Sword of Sudan is pretty good though.  It
looks like there are only 11 levels, and once you complete them, you are
probably done with the game (except to impress your friends).  I am at level
8.

.RS

Sword

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(508) 452-5000 ex 2233

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (01/09/89)

>Well, after 3 years as part of the Amiga developer community, I can safely say
>that in 99% of the cases sending in the registration is 50% of the job of
>getting (free or for-a-fee) updates.  The next 50% involves calling the
>company and ASKING for the update.  At this point in time, Amiga companies
>simply cannot afford the extra expense of sending out notices of upgrades,

>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

     True, you have to ask for an update.  This is reasonable.  If you have
had no problems with the old one, then maybe you never ran into the bug.  It
would cost them to much to send out copies to all.  Except in the case of a
very expensive program like Word Perfect and Sculpt-4D.  All of the programs
you listed as giving upgrades were expensive programs.  Not games.  There
was a bug in an early release of Sculpt-4D.  They send me an upgrade promptly
when I reported it.  This was even before I got around to sending in the
registration card.  I just gave them the serial number.

.RS

Robert Silvers.                               rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(508) 452-5000 ex 2233

Here is a silly idea, what if Game manufacturers always sent two disks with
their games. One "backup" and one play disk. Then if your disk ever went
bad you could switch to the backup and immediately send off the play disk
to get it fixed. The only danger being that the backup may fail before the
play disk was returned. Of course some folks would treat this like a 2 for
1 deal but they might anyway.

--Chuck McManis

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (01/10/89)

In article <84481@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>Here is a silly idea, what if Game manufacturers always sent two disks with
>their games. One "backup" and one play disk. Then if your disk ever went
>bad you could switch to the backup and immediately send off the play disk
>to get it fixed. The only danger being that the backup may fail before the
>play disk was repair...
>--Chuck McManis

Heres an even sillier idea.  How about if they just don't copy protect
software?  Copy protection doesn't slow down pirates much anyways, it
just keeps honest people from getting the full use of their purchases.

	 					   --Rob.

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu    _   _    _ __  ___   _   (508) 452-5000 Ex 2233
                            /_\  |\  /| || //__  /_\
                          _// \\ ||\/|| || \\// // \\_
                   "Only Amiga does not make it impossible"

utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (01/11/89)

In article <11161@swan.ulowell.edu>, rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:
> In article <84481@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
> >Here is a silly idea, what if Game manufacturers always sent two disks with
> >their games. One "backup" and one play disk. Then if your disk ever went
> >bad you could switch to the backup and immediately send off the play disk
> >to get it fixed. The only danger being that the backup may fail before the
> >play disk was repair...
> >--Chuck McManis

  Or the company turns belly-up, or changes address and/or name, or
gets bought by sombody who doesn't want to give away disks forever...
--Todd M. Lewis