[comp.sys.amiga] Text Editors for the AMIGA?

tensi@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Tensi) (01/11/89)

Hi,

I'm looking for text editors for the AMIGA for two kinds of applications:

  1. an ASCII-Editor for use together with AmigaTeX (sort of programmer's
     editor with word wrap);
     I currently use emacs for that and I think it's absolutely adequate, but
     it's not intuitive enough for naive users (very cryptic sometimes). The
     following things are necessary:

       - menu oriented
       - request for files should be done by file requesters
       - cut and paste by mouse selection
       - automatic word wrap

     If the program used Intuition as a communication medium (lots of
     requesters and message boxes etc.), that would be fine. Also a product
     with a German interface is preferred (but that's not strictly necessary).

     I heard about a new product from a German firm (Data Becker), which is
     called "EDwork" and seems to be quite configurable (obviously even the
     menus can be changed). Can anyone from the Germany comment on that?

  2. Although I can manage AmigaTeX quite well (by the way, I think it's an
     excellent product!), some people here can't and need a good WYSIWYG
     editor. [Don't be confused by the fact that I'm working for a computer
     science department. The guys who have the Amigas (besides me) are in the
     engineers department, but are somewhat computer-phobics (e.g. my father!
     :-) ]. The program should support the following:

       - intuitive interface (file requesters, menus etc.)
       - different fonts, sub- and superscripting visible on screen
       - cut and paste by mouse selection
       - automatic word wrap
       - dictionary (English and German)
       - smooth operation (fast screen update even for fast typers; printing
         shouldn't last a lifetime)
       - some sort of support for math symbols (e.g. greek characters)

     If there was some way to do tables, this would also be fine (engineers
     like them :-). Of course I don't expect sophisticated formula input to be
     possible (but maybe it is).

Sorry for the long message, but I hope other people can also profit from that.

Many thanks,

Thomas Tensi, Institut fuer Informatik, Technische Univ. Muenchen,
Arcisstr. 21, 8000 Muenchen 2, West Germany

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (01/13/89)

In article <469@infovax.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> tensi@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Tensi) writes:
>I'm looking for text editors for the AMIGA for two kinds of applications:
>
>  1. an ASCII-Editor for use together with AmigaTeX (sort of programmer's
>     editor with word wrap);

Thank you. You've just described CygnusEd Professional, which I use due to
working for ASDG. We use it exclusively in-house, and do considerable Amiga-
TeX work with it. Please don't construe this as a commercial post. I feel it's
the best text editor for the Amiga and I use it exclusively.

>       - menu oriented
>       - request for files should be done by file requesters
>       - cut and paste by mouse selection
>       - automatic word wrap

All of these things are supported by CygnusEd Professional, and more. All
functions can be accessed from menus, keyboard, or the ARexx port.

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (01/14/89)

In article <469@infovax.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> tensi@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Tensi) writes:
>Hi,

>I'm looking for text editors for the AMIGA for two kinds of applications:

>  1. an ASCII-Editor for use together with AmigaTeX (sort of programmer's
>     editor with word wrap);

>     I currently use emacs for that and I think it's absolutely adequate, but
>     it's not intuitive enough for naive users (very cryptic sometimes). The
>     following things are necessary:

Uedit fills this bill quite nicely.  I am using it extensively as an
editor for AmigaTeX.

>       - menu oriented

Yes.  All menu actions are duplicated on the keyboard, and you have
complete control over the menus, should you want to change them.

>       - request for files should be done by file requesters

Uses the Arp file requester.

>       - cut and paste by mouse selection

Yes.

>       - automatic word wrap

yes.

It's also the most customizable editor around.   If you don't like
something, you have full control over it, so you can change it to whatever
you like.  So you could have it act like emacs when you're using it, and
switch to a simpler, more intuitive setup for someone else.

I don't know if there is a german version available, but the menus and
most of the information/error messages can be changed.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (01/15/89)

In article <469@infovax.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> tensi@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Tensi) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for text editors for the AMIGA for two kinds of applications:
>
>   1. an ASCII-Editor for use together with AmigaTeX (sort of programmer's
>      editor with word wrap);
>        - menu oriented
>        - request for files should be done by file requesters
>        - cut and paste by mouse selection
>        - automatic word wrap

I have been very satisfied with ASDG's CygnusED.  It cost less than
$100 and so far has out-performed anything else I've used.  I've never
seen it crash, the scrolling is great (fast, variable speeds, you
define certain variables), the user-interface is good too.  I had
meant to post a review to the net but I haven't had time :-(.

Another nice thing about it is that you can re-map the keyboard so
that it has the same commands as other editors.  They include a sample
file that makes it work like Emacs.

It also hybernates.  If you exit it with Amiga-Q, it will just close
it's screen and deallocate as much memory as it can.  Pressing
Left-ALT, Left-SHIFT, Return brings it back up.

I don't have ARexx, but you can program it through that plus they
supply sample code that communicates to it through C.  It also does
column-block moves/copies, text-reformatting (like GNUEmacs
fill-region) and it will even ROT13 a block!

The only thing that it doesn't do is handle files that are larger than
memory (that would slow it down) and it doesn't run on a VAX... which
means that at work I have to use a slightly less-powerful editor :-)
:-).

> Thomas Tensi, Institut fuer Informatik, Technische Univ. Muenchen,

-Tom
--
   Tom Limoncelli   Drew University    Madison NJ    201-408-5389
       tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet          limonce@pilot.njin.net