[comp.sys.amiga] Lock fails on DH0: with A2090A

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (01/08/89)

I have the A2090A autobooting an ST506 drive. DH0: is a 136K partition
used to boot the system, and hand off to my first FFS partition.

When I lock either of my FFS partitons it works fine, but

"Lock dh0: on"

returns the message

"Attempt to change lock failed"

Any ideas why this happens? I'd prefer to keep DH0: locked at all times
since there is no valid reason for anything to write there most of the
time. With the new virus, any bit of added security would be most
welcome.

Here's my DH0: startup-sequence.

c:SetPatch >NIL: ;patch system functions
Sys:System/FastMemFirst
c:mount FF0:
c:mount FF1:
defdisk FF0:
c:cd sys:
execute startup-sequence

The startup-sequence on FF0: (my FFS SYS: partition) does all kinds of
strange and wonderful things, but there is no reference to DH0: in it.

It the lock failure on DH0: because the A2090A has done something
magical to it during the autoboot process?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

Ata@radc-multics.arpa (John G. Ata) (01/14/89)

The lock command only works on deviced format with FFS.  It will not
work on OFS type partitions.

                              John G. Ata

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (01/14/89)

In article <1176@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>When I lock either of my FFS partitons it works fine, but
>"Lock dh0: on"
>returns the message
>"Attempt to change lock failed"
>Any ideas why this happens? I'd prefer to keep DH0: locked at all times

Yes. Lock only works with FFS devices.
It is documented as such.
Sorry.
Wait for 1.4  ;-)

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/14/89)

In Message <1176@esunix.UUCP>, blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>I have the A2090A autobooting an ST506 drive. DH0: is a 136K partition
>used to boot the system, and hand off to my first FFS partition.

  Sounds alot like what I do....

>When I lock either of my FFS partitons it works fine, but
>
>"Lock dh0: on"
>
>returns the message
>
>"Attempt to change lock failed"
>
>Any ideas why this happens? I'd prefer to keep DH0: locked at all times
>since there is no valid reason for anything to write there most of the
>time. With the new virus, any bit of added security would be most
>welcome.

  I havent read this anywhere, but from my tests it looks like "LOCK" only
  works on FFS devices. To test this just try locking a floppy or ram: -=-
  then mount a FFS version of RAD: and try locking it!

  Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (01/15/89)

From article <6645@louie.udel.EDU>, by Ata@radc-multics.arpa (John G. Ata):
> The lock command only works on deviced format with FFS.  It will not
> work on OFS type partitions.

Yes, too true. Thanks to the million or so (or 5 or 6 at least :-)
people that pointed this out to me.

I guess it pays to re-RTFM every now and then.

Since my original intent was to try and write protect my boot partition
to try and add a little more infection protection, let me rephrase teh
question:

Would it be possible to write a program to "lock" an OFS partition?
And does someone want to write it?
--

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (01/17/89)

In article <1176@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>I have the A2090A autobooting an ST506 drive. DH0: is a 136K partition
>used to boot the system, and hand off to my first FFS partition.
>
>When I lock either of my FFS partitons it works fine, but
>
>"Lock dh0: on"
>
>returns the message
>
>"Attempt to change lock failed"

The LOCK command is specific to FastFileSystem partitions. DH0: is a
standard filesystem. See page 2-18 of the 1.3 Enhancer manual.
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,