[comp.sys.amiga] PC fonts for MAC?

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/17/89)

In article <765@sas.UUCP> cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) writes:

>Of course, these fonts are part of the Soft PC product, so you would
>have to make appropriate arrangements.  Perhaps the folks at Insignia
>would like to release these into the public domain? ;-)

According to the copyright office, ALL fonts are public domain.

(He said, referring to the U.S. Copyright offic's recent decision
that ``computer tyfaces lack distinct authorship, and because of
their utilitarian value, we will not uphold any copyrights for
computer font binaries'' or words to that effect)

The binaries were the only thing about fonts you have been
able to copyright, apart from trademarking the name.

Personally, I think it's the copyright office trying to goad
the big (and small) Type companies into trying to get
congress to pass a law protecting typefaces. They as much
said so, inthe (same) statement: ``...if you don't like
it, go to congress and  get a law passed''.

--
   ``In a few years, the only thing that will be made in America is a deal''
richard@gryphon.COM   {...}!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov