[comp.sys.amiga] A-Talk III 1.0e

In article <1189@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Marco, several of the PD terminal programs disable auto-chop when the
>filename has a suffix of .ARC or .ZOO, does Atalk III do this? (I'm
>asking because it sounds like the answer is NO from your message.)

Not at the moment.  If people bitch enough, it will be done :-)  Actually
since I am releasing a new version next week I should have enough time to
add it to this one.

>Do you have plans to add an autodialer to Atalk III. The lack of one is
>the biggest reason I've got for not buying it.

Version 1.0e of A-Talk III has it. We call it "queing".  One host is "linked"
to another one, and the second one is linked to the third one and so forth.
Each one has its own number of redial (1, 10, or continuous).  If the first
is BUSY for all the redials, the second one linked to is tried and so forth.

>Here's a few items from my fantasy terminal program wish list:

>1) Zmodem (If you've got that, you've got it made.)
We got that one and it works in BOTh send and receive at 19,200. This is tested
with the US Robotics Courier HST by me,a nd also with the Trailblazer by
one of our users.  The next release also has ZMODEM Command mode: allows you
to send DOS commands or start scripts from a remote host [either UNIX Zmodem
(rz/sz) or another Amiga running A-Talk III).

>2) Autodialer with a circular queue (see Baud Bandit for the best
>   example.)
see above.

>3) The ability to send a setup string to the modem for each phonebook
>   entry before dialing. (Obscure perhaps, but I've got a Telebit
>   Trailblazer Plus, and I need to change a register if the computer
>   I'm calling doesn't have a Trailblazer.)
The only program that I know does this is a PD version of Procomm for the
IBM PC.  I know of no Amiga program that does this.  You can actually do it
in A-Talk III by putting the setup string in the Long Distance Code string
requester of the A-Talk III phonebook.  Only drawback you'll have to type it
in for each host.

>4) Scripts for logon and such.
Got this covered (are over 50 commands and ARExx support enough)

>5) TRUE VT100 emulation, VT220 with the f-keys supported would be nice.
   The VT100 graphics character set too.
True VT100 with graphics, NO VT220.

>6) Flicker free color when ANSI color graphics are being displayed.
>   Every terminal program I've seen has horrible flickers, flashes, and
>   tears when a color combination other than 0 for background and 1 for
>   text is scrolled.
We support ANSI with 8 color mode in both IBM ANSI and Amiga ANSI emulation
with 24, 25, 48, or 50 lines supported. All 8 colors can be programmed for each
host to your own liking.  [the 25 & 50 lines will be in the next version I
believe].

I really don't understand your "flicker" problems.  The Amiga "flickers"
only in Interlace mode.  My monitor NEVER flickers when in non-interlace
mode, NO matter what combination of colors I use.

>7) 19,200 BPS support, full speed. (Again, a Trailblazer.)
I have not personal experience with the Trailblazer, BUT with the Courier HST
I can set the DCE speed to 19,200, and the HST will use a link speed of
9,600.  Actually all these modems work with one channel at low speed (like
300 bauds) and the other channel with the high-speed (usually 9600) with a
higher speed with the DCE connection.

>8) Hardware handshaking support (Trailblazer again.)
Got that one [You mean RTS/CTS, right?]. I get 10% more throughput with ZMODEM
when using RTS/CTS instead of Xon/X-off.

>So am I dreaming, or is there a program that will really do all this?
Not at the moment, but some come pretty close. Continue looking :-)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (01/16/89)

In article <14719@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <1189@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>6) Flicker free color when ANSI color graphics are being displayed.
>>   Every terminal program I've seen has horrible flickers, flashes, and
>>   tears when a color combination other than 0 for background and 1 for
>>   text is scrolled.
>I really don't understand your "flicker" problems.  The Amiga "flickers"
>only in Interlace mode.  My monitor NEVER flickers when in non-interlace
>mode, NO matter what combination of colors I use.
>
>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

I believe that the "flicker" problem that Blaine is talking about isn't
actually flicker per se, but the effect seen when certain color combinations
are scrolled in multi-color modes.  For example, if you have yellow text on a
black background, and that line of text is scrolled upwards, you might see a
momentary ghost text line on the screen for a fraction of a second,
presumably since the text is being scrolled by the blitter, which can only do
one bit plane at a time (it can do 2 bit planes without noticable flashing,
but for 3 or more it poops out).  Has anyone out there ever seen a terminal
program that didn't have this problem in an 8-color mode?

--
   - Mike Shawaluk
     ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/16/89)

In article <14719@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> >3) The ability to send a setup string to the modem for each phonebook
> >   entry before dialing.

> The only program that I know does this is a PD version of Procomm for the
> IBM PC.  I know of no Amiga program that does this.

You can do this in Matt Dillon's DTerm, as well as implement any circular,
square, moebius, or other sequential dialler. It doesn't have a dial directory
per se, but the programming language (a finite state machine) is quite
complete. All it needs is variables and a timer and it'd be perfect. You
would probably be able to write transfer protocols in it!

Come on, Matt. Variables, timer, and an AREXX port. It would blow the doors
off anyone else's software. I know DNET is cooler, but some of us don't have
BSD on our UNIX boxes.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

burley@rocksanne.UUCP (Linda Burley) (01/17/89)

I like ATALK III.. but something is really missing ... a REVIEW buffer,
which is capture independent, like in Access!.. Also, it would be nice to
be able to dial a phonebook entry by simply double clicking on its gadget.

   Marco, adding these would really make me happy 8-)

			Linda Burley

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (01/17/89)

From article <14719@oberon.USC.EDU>, by papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa):
> In article <1189@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>Do you have plans to add an autodialer to Atalk III. The lack of one is
>>the biggest reason I've got for not buying it.
>
> Version 1.0e of A-Talk III has it. We call it "queing".  One host is "linked"
> to another one, and the second one is linked to the third one and so forth.
> Each one has its own number of redial (1, 10, or continuous).  If the first
> is BUSY for all the redials, the second one linked to is tried and so forth.

Sounds like a nice setup, the autodialers I've seen before only give you
one BUSY before going on to the next number. Does it require some setup
to "link" the hosts together, or is it as simple as clicking on the
hosts you want from a phonebook list? Also, does A-Talk III restart the
dialing sequence (minus the host just called, of course) when you end a
session and hangup, or does the dialing have to be restarted manually?

>>Here's a few items from my fantasy terminal program wish list:
>>3) The ability to send a setup string to the modem for each phonebook
>>   entry before dialing. (Obscure perhaps, but I've got a Telebit
>>   Trailblazer Plus, and I need to change a register if the computer
>>   I'm calling doesn't have a Trailblazer.)
> The only program that I know does this is a PD version of Procomm for the
> IBM PC.  I know of no Amiga program that does this.  You can actually do it
> in A-Talk III by putting the setup string in the Long Distance Code string
> requester of the A-Talk III phonebook.  Only drawback you'll have to type it
> in for each host.

The problem here is that Trailblazers usually answer a call with the PEP
(high speed) carrier first. This confuses the heck out of most modems,
and they hang up before the Trailblazer gets to the 2400/1200/300 tones.
To get around this, the order of the carriers can be switched so that
the PEP carrier comes last. Low speed modems now work ok, but another
Trailblazer will also hook up at 2400 instead of 19,200. So I need to
set a register on my Trailblazer to make it ignore anything but the PEP
carrier. Of course that means that it won't ever connect to a 2400 baud
modem.

Ideally I'd like to send an ATS50=255 before calling another
Trailblazer, and send an ATS50=0 before calling a normal 2400/1200
modem.

What I do now is assign those strings to a couple of F-keys, and call
the Trailblazer systems in a group, and the low speed systems in another
group. Not too much of a hassle, but my "ideal" terminal program would
let me handle this automatically. (I did say this was a wish list. :-)

>>4) Scripts for logon and such.
> Got this covered (are over 50 commands and ARExx support enough)

Sounds great!

>>6) Flicker free color when ANSI color graphics are being displayed.
>>   Every terminal program I've seen has horrible flickers, flashes, and
>>   tears when a color combination other than 0 for background and 1 for
>>   text is scrolled.
> We support ANSI with 8 color mode in both IBM ANSI and Amiga ANSI emulation
> with 24, 25, 48, or 50 lines supported. All 8 colors can be programmed for each
> host to your own liking.  [the 25 & 50 lines will be in the next version I
> believe].
>
> I really don't understand your "flicker" problems.  The Amiga "flickers"
> only in Interlace mode.  My monitor NEVER flickers when in non-interlace
> mode, NO matter what combination of colors I use.

Bad choice of words I guess, since "flicker" has come to mean "interlace
flicker" in the Amiga world. It has nothing to do with interlace at all.

I'll try to explain myself better.  Using the stock Workbench colors as a
reference: If you scroll white text on a blue background, everything
looks fine. But if you scroll a screenful of white text on a black
background all of the white characters have yellow ghosts flashing
behind the white text. ("Behind" is pretty vague, let me try again to
muddy the waters.)
As the white text is scrolling up the black screen, a duplicate image
of the text appears in yellow about half a character below the "real" text.

Every terminal program I've seen for the Amiga does this.
But it's not just a terminal program problem, I've seen some editors
that do this too (early versions of TxEd if I remember right).

It's not the screen colors, but something to do with using a combination
other than color 0 and color 1 (whatever color they happen to be). It
looks like one bitplane is getting "ahead" of the other as the text scrolls
up the screen.

Whatever is causing it, it makes the ANSI graphics used by some BBS's
a real headache. I suppose that this is really a trivial complaint, but
nobody has got it right yet.

>>8) Hardware handshaking support (Trailblazer again.)
> Got that one [You mean RTS/CTS, right?]. I get 10% more throughput with ZMODEM
> when using RTS/CTS instead of Xon/X-off.

Right, the hardware handshaking makes a noticable difference at high
speeds.

>>So am I dreaming, or is there a program that will really do all this?
> Not at the moment, but some come pretty close. Continue looking :-)

Keep adding features, and you just may make a customer out of me yet. :-)
It would be nice to be able to use just one terminal program instead of
three or four.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

In article <655@rocksanne.UUCP> burley@rocksanne.UUCP (Linda Burley) writes:
|I like ATALK III.. but something is really missing ... a REVIEW buffer,
|which is capture independent, like in Access!.. Also, it would be nice to
|be able to dial a phonebook entry by simply double clicking on its gadget.
|
|   Marco, adding these would really make me happy 8-)

Both of those features have been asked before and are in my queue.  I just
have ten fingers, and type with only 4 of them, and English is not
my mother tongue language :-)