[comp.sys.amiga] DMCS won't print under 1.3

u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) (12/29/88)

I just picked up Deluxe Music Construction Set, and found that it only
produces printed output under v1.2 of the OS.  Has anyone else run into
this problem?  Has anyone figured out a way around it (besides going
back to 1.2)?

When I give it the command to print, the software seems to think
everything is okay, since it has the little cancel box come up, wait
around for a while, then go away as if it had just finished printing.
No data makes it to the printer.

I don't know the version number, but the file date is 4/8/87, and it's
the newer unprotected version.

/\/\ /|  |    /||| /\|       | John M. Olsen, 1547 Jamestown Drive  /\/\
\/\/ \|()|\|\_ |||.\/|/)@|\_ | Salt Lake City, UT  84121-2051       \/\/
/\/\  |  u-jmolse%ug@cs.utah.edu or ...!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse    /\/\
\/\/             "A full mailbox is a happy mailbox"                \/\/

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (12/29/88)

In article <840@wasatch.UUCP> u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu.UUCP@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) writes:

>I just picked up Deluxe Music Construction Set, and found that it only
>produces printed output under v1.2 of the OS.  Has anyone else run into
>this problem?  Has anyone figured out a way around it (besides going
>back to 1.2)?

I don't know what you're doing that's different than what I did, but I've
been able to get it to work just fine!  Besides the obvious stuff (i.e, you
DID remember to run 1.3 Preferences & set everything up, right :-), make sure
you have the new printer.device, etc., on your DMCS boot disk (BTW, you did
not mention if you are running off of floppies, or hard disk, and, if the
latter, if you are running FFS or whatever.  My setup is floppy based, at
least for the next couple of weeks, while I wait for my hard drive to arrive
:-) :-) :-)

Leave me email if you have further info or questions; I'm sure we can figure
out what the problem is.  I for one am really pleased with the improvements
I've gotten with the new printer drivers (BTW, something else just occurred
to me; how much RAM do you have?  I have 1.5 meg!)
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
     ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes

lamb@thumper.bellcore.com (John W. Lamb) (12/30/88)

In article <840@wasatch.UUCP>, u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) writes:
->
-> I just picked up Deluxe Music Construction Set, and found that it only
-> produces printed output under v1.2 of the OS.  Has anyone else run into
-> this problem?
->
-> When I give it the command to print, the software seems to think
-> everything is okay, since it has the little cancel box come up, wait
-> around for a while, then go away as if it had just finished printing.
-> No data makes it to the printer.

[I tried mailing this first but it bounced]
I have had the very same symptoms using 1.3, a vanilla 512K Amiga and
a NEC P6 printer.  By setting the printer to octal dump mode, I
discovered that the printer was being sent some initialization strings
which varied with preference settings, but was getting no further
data.  I was able to get printed output in landscape mode with one
score at the bottom of the page, but this is hardly an acceptable
solution.

If anyone else has discovered a way to fix this, please let us know
how you did it.  I suspect it has something to do with getting the
right combination of margin settings in preferences and printer
width in DMCS, but I have not yet discovered the magic numbers.

u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (John M. Olsen) (01/01/89)

I (John M. Olsen) wrote:
>I just picked up Deluxe Music Construction Set, and found that it only
>produces printed output under v1.2 of the OS.  Has anyone else run into
>this problem?

In article <256@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
[his version works okay with 1.3]
>How much RAM do you have?  I have 1.5 meg!

Yup.  From the email I have been trading, the problem only shows up on
512K systems.  It looks like DMCS doesn't leave enough free memory for
the 1.3 print drivers, which take more memory than the old 1.2 print
drivers did.  I haven't traced it or anything, but it looks like the
printer gets some initialization data then the driver fails on an
allocation and returns with no error messages.  Oh well. :^(

/\/\ /|  |    /||| /\|       | John M. Olsen, 1547 Jamestown Drive  /\/\
\/\/ \|()|\|\_ |||.\/|/)@|\_ | Salt Lake City, UT  84121-2051       \/\/
/\/\  |  u-jmolse%ug@cs.utah.edu or ...!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse    /\/\
\/\/             "A full mailbox is a happy mailbox"                \/\/

lamb@thumper.bellcore.com (John W. Lamb) (01/18/89)

I have just verified that the problem of Deluxe Music Construction
Set not printing properly under AmigaDos 1.3 is caused by
insufficient memory in a 512K system.  I just added some RAM to my
machine and, with no other changes, DMCS prints my scores better than
ever, thanks to the new printer driver.

This suggests that there might be a workaround for 512K systems
involving minimizing RAM usage outside of DMCS.