and ran quitdnet, it nuked my fterm window and then just sat there, talking
to the unix machine, but not letting go of the serial port.

	Question #1) Why didn't it let go of the Serial Port?

	         #2) Is there some easy way to have a "chat" mode, where
	             a complete line of input is spooled, and sent as one
	             packet?  (It's very annoying to have a two second or so
	             echo time, per character.  'specially for us
	             non-touch typists.)

	         #3) Is it supposed to be run from a user shell?
	             (Ok, so it's probably a dumb question, but gimme a break)

	I couldn't get a loadaverage window running either.  It said
"no connection" and quit.

	From the Layman's point of view, ie: I compiled and run it once, it
_appears_that Dnet is simply just another term program with it's own
special version of Protocal's for talking and X-fer's.  What I wan't to
know is what else have people been able to make it do?

(I believe it would be much more useful in a high speed environment, ie:
direct connections, or 9600 baud lines...)

Bamf

--
You want it should sing too?          |          ngorelic@uokmax
<Never have figured out what goes here>    ...hpuecoa!bgphp1!ngorelic

kent@swrinde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (01/18/89)

In article <2238@uokmax.UUCP> ngorelic@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:

>	After having it sit in my spool directory for many months now, I
>finally got around to playing with Dnet.  What I ended up doing is
>executing it from my unix user shell, and escaping out of my terminal
>program, back to my Ami to start the Amiga end.

>to the unix machine, but not letting go of the serial port.
Try it this way:
1) forget about your terminal program for now - don't need it.
2) run Dnet on the amiga end.
3) login to the Unix system.
4) type 'dnet' on the unix system.

Now, an fterm automatically starts up after the Dnet window closes
on the Amiga end.

>It worked fine, but when I logged out of the shell that Dnet started,
>and ran quitdnet, it nuked my fterm window and then just sat there, talking

After running quitdnet on the Amiga end, check your Amiga processes
& find out which one Dnet is & type 'break <dnet process #)' as in:
break 2

The Dnet window will pop up & you can release the serial port by
closing the Dnet window.

>	I couldn't get a loadaverage window running either.  It said
>"no connection" and quit.
We apparently don't have the loadaverage program on our Sun's that
this requires, so I don't know what it does either.

Also I can't get DSOC to work (from the Unix end). I run DSOC & it
starts up an SCLI on the Amiga end, but at this point everyone
connected to our Sun server starts screaming blood murder cause it
takes over the Sun almost completely (& it doesn't seem to work
either), but at least I have to hand it to Matt, a CTRL/c does take
care of the Unix end (but leaves the SCLI running on the Amiga ??).

Also, after using putfiles, I usually have to kill the Unix putfiles
server, cause it doen't get shut down when I exit Dnet, and Amiga
Dnet knows that it wasn't shut down since I get an error message to
that effect. Why can't Dnet shut it down when it knows that it was
left running?

>	From the Layman's point of view, ie: I compiled and run it once, it
>_appears_that Dnet is simply just another term program with it's own
>special version of Protocal's for talking and X-fer's.  What I wan't to
>know is what else have people been able to make it do?

You can have multiple, resizable windows running concurrently, and
do bi-directional file transfers at the same time.

One of these days, if I don't get NFS first, I'm gonna write a
printer 'server' for this thing I think. Wish Matt would document the
protocol a little better so I could figure out what I could send in
a header - I would like to be able to run a Unix filter like
Enscript on the file I send & have it be instructed to do so via the
client/server relationship.

>(I believe it would be much more useful in a high speed environment, ie:
>direct connections, or 9600 baud lines...)

Ah, yes, 1200 baud at home, but 9600 baud at work really makes life
nicer.

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute       |> Frogsoundz: Ultrasonic
{cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent|> waveforms time-dilated