[comp.sys.amiga] Smalltalk for the Amiga

buck@scs.carleton.ca (David Buck) (09/16/88)

Does anybody know of an implementation of Smalltalk for the Amiga computer? I've
seen Little Smalltalk (which doesn't have any graphics, window or mouse support).
I'd like to know if there are any other versions either in the public domain or
commercially available.

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (09/18/88)

In article <2767795856@9.scs.carleton.ca> buck@scs.carleton.ca (David Buck) writes:

>Does anybody know of an implementation of Smalltalk for the Amiga computer? I've
>seen Little Smalltalk (which doesn't have any graphics, window or mouse support).
>I'd like to know if there are any other versions either in the public domain or
>commercially available.

     I've not seen another SmallTalk for the Amiga besides Mr. Budd's
Little Smalltalk.  However, it is not too hard to add your own
commands and primitives to the language.  If you pick up a copy of Mr.
Budd's book (A Little Smalltalk, published by Addison Wesley), the
implementation of the language is explained in the second section.  I
have successfully added an input routine doing this, and once I got
the hang of it, it was really easy.  Mouse support, windows, and
graphics should not be that hard, provided you have a well designed
set of commands.

     The only drawback to this is that you need to know C.  I would do
more with the language, but as I am a student, an employed programmer,
and in the middle of searching for a job, I am sort of strapped for
time.  And Little Smalltalk is somewhat slow, so I'd rather program in
C for any real work.

					.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka                 ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                   lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/18/89)

I have a vague recolection thah this has been done, but is there
a smalltalk implementation for the Amiga ?

--
   ``In a few years, the only thing that will be made in America is a deal''
richard@gryphon.COM   {...}!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (01/19/89)

In article <10869@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> I have a vague recolection thah this has been done, but is there
> a smalltalk implementation for the Amiga ?

Yes, it is on Fish 36 or 37.  I know because I hadda buy a replacement
for that one not too long ago; it was the only one in my collection that
came back "Not a DOS disk" when I tried to look at the smalltalk implementation.

As I understand, it is a subset and has no Amiga specifics there, but
also as I remember, it comes with the source code for the port.  Time
to dust off the old FISH disks, eh?

No, once I got the replacement, I got busy on something else again (sigh)
so I did not check it out after all.

Rob Peck