[comp.sys.amiga] Image Processing Hardware

ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Joseph Kompanek) (01/17/89)

    Does anyone know if there is any (real time) image processing hardware
available for the Amiga that supports convolution, "bit stream math", real-time
digitization (with acceptable resolution (i.e., clarity)  for high level
image processing), real-time histogramming, Region-of-Interest extraction,
etc...  I'm currently working with a hardware set-up on a SUN 3/260, aiding in
developing a cost-effective real-time image processing system and was wondering
about using the Amiga pursue similar research.

    Also, to what extent could the Amiga's blitter be used to implement image
processing algorithms (namely, some of the algorithms which work on consecutive
3x3 pixel blocks.)  I'm not extremely familiar with blitter technology in general and the Amiga's blitter in particular.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Drew

It seems to me that the Amiga would make a great (read, low-cost) Unix
graphics workstation.  If Commodore would really like to compete with
the Apple's Mac II (not to mention all the /386 machines out there) Unix is
the key.  It's time to accept the fact that Unix is going to become the OS
of choice on microcomputers.

By the way, are gripes about the Amiga on this bulletin board likely to reach receptive ears?

- Drew (ARPA: ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu)

gaynor@bass.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e. gaynor) (01/18/89)

In article <4XogSOy00VoHI9NoZH@andrew.cmu.edu> ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Joseph Kompanek) writes:

>    Does anyone know if there is any (real time) image processing hardware
>available for the Amiga that supports convolution, "bit stream math", real-time
>digitization (with acceptable resolution (i.e., clarity)  for high level
>image processing), real-time histogramming, Region-of-Interest extraction,
>etc...

The only thing closely approaching what you want is NewTek's infamous Video
Toaster, which is still in development, and is anxiously awaited by all.
See the recent AmigaWorld for a good article on it.

>It seems to me that the Amiga would make a great (read, low-cost) Unix
>graphics workstation.  If Commodore would really like to compete with
>the Apple's Mac II (not to mention all the /386 machines out there) Unix is
>the key.  It's time to accept the fact that Unix is going to become the OS
>of choice on microcomputers.
>
>By the way, are gripes about the Amiga on this bulletin board likely to reach receptive ears?
>
>- Drew (ARPA: ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu)

Yeah, the Amiga has the potential to do the things you say, let's hope
someone in hardware/software land is listening.  I don't think UNIX will
become the home standard (not puppy-dog friendly enough).  And yes, gripes
and praise alike get heard around here...
: Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"       Internet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu :
: "Success lies in acheiving the top of the food chain." - Jubal Harshaw      :
: My opinions are utterly and totally mine and are probably copywritten, too. :
: "Welcome to the Ohio State University... oops, THE Ohio State University."  :
-=-
: Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"       Internet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu :
: "Success lies in achieving the top of the food chain." - Jubal Harshaw      :
: My opinions are utterly and totally mine and are probably copywritten, too. :

kent@swrinde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (01/18/89)

In article <4XogSOy00VoHI9NoZH@andrew.cmu.edu> ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Joseph Kompanek) writes:

>    Does anyone know if there is any (real time) image processing hardware
>available for the Amiga that supports convolution, "bit stream math", real-time
>digitization (with acceptable resolution (i.e., clarity)  for high level
>image processing), real-time histogramming, Region-of-Interest extraction,
>etc...  I'm currently working with a hardware set-up on a SUN 3/260, aiding in
>developing a cost-effective real-time image processing system and was wondering
>about using the Amiga pursue similar research.

I have an application similar to this that would be nice to port to
the Amiga also.

>It seems to me that the Amiga would make a great (read, low-cost) Unix
>graphics workstation.  If Commodore would really like to compete with
>the Apple's Mac II (not to mention all the /386 machines out there) Unix is
>the key.  It's time to accept the fact that Unix is going to become the OS
>of choice on microcomputers.

The main drawbacks I see are lack of:
   1) Standard, supported hires (non-interlaced) display.
   2) Small color palette size

This type of stuff usually manipulates at least a 512*512 data
array, so I would consider an acceptible resolution something at
least as large as 512*512. 32 level pallete (grey scales would even
be nice) on this size display would be acceptible to me for this
type of stuff.

(Anybody working on an array processor for the Amiga :^)
Well, while I'm dreaming ...)

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute       |> Frogsoundz: Ultrasonic
{cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent|> waveforms time-dilated
___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\___/\____|> & played on my Amiga.

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (01/19/89)

>>any (real time) image processing hardware available for the Amiga

>only thing ... is NewTek's infamous Video Toaster

Hmm.  And I would have said the only thing is the ULowell DSP board.
I didn't know the toaster did anything except slick video effects.

>Amiga has the potential to do the things you say, let's hope
>someone in hardware/software land is listening.

Well, Commodore "previewed" the board at Comdex.  Does that count?

..Bob (don't ask me about the board)
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.