[comp.sys.amiga] dillon/drew shell alt-char-set

asaph@TAURUS.BITNET (01/19/89)

>In article <8901180336.AA01749@jade.berkeley.edu> (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>->                                              ...  thirdly,
>->what to i do to reset my cli when it gets put into the alternate
>->charater set when you type an executible without the opt h
>
>Well can't you just type ^O and get the regular characters back ? I don't
>use the dillon/drew shell so I don't know if this is trapped but I don't
>think it would be. Oh, and ^N will put your back into funky character mode.
>(ASCII codes for SI == Shift In, SO == Shift Out)

No, this will not work because the shell traps all control-code. The way to do
this is enter the command: echo ^o and hit return.
note that: ^o means caret o (not control-o).
You wont be able to see what you type, or at least it will look like a lot of
garbage but dont be alarmed it will work.
I use version 2.07M (thanks matt), but I think it work on others as well.
Aside, is there a newer version of the shell.
Incidentally, you can use echo ^Whatever to get alot of nifty results. Change
screen colors, echo special codes to the printer, etc. experiment and see what
you get.