[comp.sys.amiga] AI using MAGELLAN

hepner@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas A. Hepner) (01/20/89)

I was wondering if anyone out there has had an opportunity to use MAGELLAN, the
AI expert systems shell by Emerald technologies, and if so what your impressions
of the program were.  I am think of getting the program to develop an
Expert system in conjuction with my Masters Thesis and would prefer to have
a nice, fairly usable pre-built shell, rather than have to write my own shell
and use the PD version of XLISP 2.0.

Thanks for any info and experiences you have with this product.

(oh, if there is something wrong or that offends someone about this posting,
let me know, its my first attempt at obtaining info on the net :-).

email address is hepner@cod|nosc.mil

arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (01/20/89)

In article <1368@cod.NOSC.MIL> hepner@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas A. Hepner) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there has had an opportunity to use MAGELLAN, the
>AI expert systems shell by Emerald technologies, and if so what your impressions
>of the program were....

I wrote them a brief letter a few months ago with some simple questions such
as how many rules it could use, how it handled uncertainty, and whether it
could call other progarms to generate numbers to be used in decisions.  They
did not reply, which suggests to me that it is a toy with no one around to
support it.  ON the other hand I wrote to EXSYS last year about their shell
for PC's and got a detailed answer which included a statment that their
Eupopean distributors had suggested an A2000 version which they might produce
within the year.  They have apparently not produced it yet though.  I think
pressure from the European market might be our best hope for getting some
expert system shells for the Amiga.

Pat Palmer  (email: ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)