[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 suggestions

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (01/07/89)

(I don't seem to have the mail address of the person who has been updating
 VT100 (Tony Sumrall?))

Something I just noticed is that the cursorflip() routine in VT100 doesn't
invert an area that's exactly 8 x 8, but one slightly larger. Could this be
changed so that only the area of a single character was flipped? This would
simplify the task of recognizing a letter covered by the cursor in TSnip.

The version of VT100 I'm working with is 2.8, so I don't know if this is
different in 2.9. Has 2.9 been released? If not then another handy feature
would be "Open/Close Serial Device" menu options so that VT100 could remain
running while other terminal programs were being tested or used. I know
flexible serial device support is a priority for new VT100 versions but I
wasn't sure if that point had been brought up.

John
--
"If you steal all money, kids not be able to BUY TOYS!"
			-- Saturday morning cartoon character explaining

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (01/20/89)

In article <5064@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>(I don't seem to have the mail address of the person who has been updating
> VT100 (Tony Sumrall?))

Yup, that's me!  See my address at the end of this posting.

>Something I just noticed is that the cursorflip() routine in VT100 doesn't
>invert an area that's exactly 8 x 8, but one slightly larger. Could this be
>changed so that only the area of a single character was flipped? This would
>simplify the task of recognizing a letter covered by the cursor in TSnip.

I don't have 2.8 source handy but in 2.9 it inverts the area bounded (and
including) the top of the character cell and the last line of the
character cell.  This is the way that all of the terminal that I've seen
do it.

>The version of VT100 I'm working with is 2.8, so I don't know if this is
>different in 2.9. Has 2.9 been released? If not then another handy feature
>would be "Open/Close Serial Device" menu options so that VT100 could remain
>running while other terminal programs were being tested or used. I know
>flexible serial device support is a priority for new VT100 versions but I
>wasn't sure if that point had been brought up.

You can use the external protocol facilities in 2.9 to accomplish this.

As long as I'm here I might as well give a brief status of 2.9 -- it's
still a ways from being ready.  I've been way too busy here at work to do
the AREXX stuff so I've farmed it out to Kim DeVaughn (he did the initial
AREXX implementation for DME if I remember correctly).  Once his stuff
is done then I've got a few bugs of my own to fix and it's off to the
beta testers.

--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]